Who fishes with OLD rods?

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
napawino
Angler
Angler

Who fishes with OLD rods?

Post by napawino » Sat May 06, 2017 2:10 am

I do. I like old Fenwick and Wonderods. I'm in my 60's and that's what I learned on. I have some modern gear, but I like fishing the old stuff. I primarily fly fish these days, but I love me some panfish on light casting gear.

Nice forum. I just found it.
ImageImageImageImage

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Who fishes with OLD rods?

Post by nctrucker » Sun May 07, 2017 12:42 am

i still use a few older rods. i've a lot(not by TT standards) of Shimano graphites-(Aero's, Fightin', magnumlite's) rods. and a few Garcia, BASS PRO SHOPS, AllStar and Fenwick fiberglass and graphite rods i still throw.
just recently bought an old zebco 3366 rod for the handle and nostalgia. it was my first fishing rod ever-combo'ed with a 33 reel. gonna wrap up a good rod blank for it and use it. doubt i'll use the fiberglass rod but it could happen.
love the old rods but like the new stuff a bit better for the advances in materials, guides, spacing concepts.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun May 07, 2017 2:25 am

Nice vintage tackle! =D> =D> =D>
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

napawino
Angler
Angler

Post by napawino » Sun May 07, 2017 2:44 am

napawino
Angler
Angler

Post by napawino » Sun May 07, 2017 2:57 am

ImageImageImageImageImage

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sun May 07, 2017 4:41 am

What's that fly reel? Some very nice old gear! I know this is sort of counter to the vintage nature of your tackle, but Fenwick has reintroduced Fenglass flyrods, and they're both glorious and affordable.

napawino
Angler
Angler

Post by napawino » Sun May 07, 2017 6:10 am

It's an Ocean City model 76

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun May 07, 2017 10:50 am

I use a old Fenwick glass ultra lite with the same wrap as your fly rod. It is a model FS55 weight is 2 3/8 oz according to the label. I bought it in the late 60s or early 70s. The original wire guides wore out fairly quickly and it now has a set of micros on it. Great rod for tiny crank baits. I use it on the local creeks.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Sun May 07, 2017 11:06 am

WOW! :shock:

Great tackle you have there. Welcome to the forum. I have a feeling you'll be posting some interesting items. Thanks for sharing!
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon May 08, 2017 4:44 am

Those are absolutely beautiful! Great post!
I've always had a soft spot for fenwick esthetics.
There's a few Japanese domestic market fenwicks that still carry the same design que. I'll post some links later when I have time.

As for fishing old rods, I still run a gang of 1st gen 'made in texas' AllStar topwater rods, and I don't see myself replacing them. On the contrary, I'm gonna treat them to some Torzite guide rings :D

napawino
Angler
Angler

Post by napawino » Mon May 08, 2017 4:54 am

I'm an older guy, in my early 60's, and Fenwick were what I grew up on. My dad always had Fenwick rods. He was the best fisherman I've ever seen. He always had a "bend in the Fenwick". Even when nobody else was catching anything. It was a rare talent that to this day, I'm trying to duplicate.

All of my rods from back then are gone, but I have replaced them with rods of the same vintages. We always had a few Shakespeare Wonderods as well. My first rod was a Wonderod with a Zebco 202 spincast reel. Then I graduated to Fenwick in the mid 60's.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Mon May 08, 2017 6:14 am

"Old" is relative in the bass fishing world.

Shimano Cumaras are considered "old" now, even though they were released 5 years ago, and I still fish with them.

Are we talking about "old" conventional rods where the fiberglass wouldn't be able to set a hook on a fish since it was as flimsy as a fly rod?

Or are we talking about old fiberglass fly rods that seem to perform better than today's 'fiberglass' rods?

napawino
Angler
Angler

Post by napawino » Mon May 08, 2017 6:26 am

DarkShadow wrote:"Old" is relative in the bass fishing world.

Shimano Cumaras are considered "old" now, even though they were released 5 years ago, and I still fish with them.

Are we talking about "old" conventional rods where the fiberglass wouldn't be able to set a hook on a fish since it was as flimsy as a fly rod?

Or are we talking about old fiberglass fly rods that seem to perform better than today's 'fiberglass' rods?
We are talking about whatever rod a person considers to be old. I have a few old "broom handles" in the garage that I pull out once in a while, but I mostly fish for trout, panfish, and salmon, so I prefer a lighter tip more often than not.

You bass guys push the envelope on technology, for sure. I've caught more bass using an older UglyStik and an Ambassador 5000c than anything else. That's some old junk right there. I'm sure after reading a bunch of posts on here, the upgrade bug will bite me. But I do have a new Calcutta Conquest 100 in my closet that I have yet to use.

napawino
Angler
Angler

Post by napawino » Tue May 09, 2017 5:06 am

ImageImage