Shaky head blank suggestions

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
drenner43
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shaky head blank suggestions

Post by drenner43 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:15 am

Alright guys, thinking of having another rod built for lighter baits. I'm wanting to build something a little lighter than i usually use for light texas rigs, small creature baits, and mainly shaky heads. I've currently got 4 customs, all St Croix, 2 5c70HF, 1 5c70MHF, and a 3C70MHM cranking stick. For this rod was thinking about a Medium XF so thought about the 5c610MXF but am open to other suggestions. So lets hear everyones thoughts on the blank specifics and brand suggestions. thanks for the help. oh and it will be a casting rod

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shaky head blank suggestions

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:52 pm

There's about a thousand different blanks that would work. Can you be more specific as to what you want in a blank? I can't help with St Croix, but I highly recommend you give something else a shot. If anything, just for variety sake. Lots of really nice blanks on the market. Furthermore, I encourage everyone to try a Point Blank. You won't be disappointed. High end, high quality, and not over priced. I absolutely love mine and see plenty more in my future. Nothing but impressed in every aspect. If your total weight is around a quarter ounce, I'd suggest the 691mlxf. Anything heavier I'd opt for the 691mxf. Nice thing with Point Blank is there is little guess work with data and measurements. It's all listed on the website. No, I'm not affiliated, just a big fan. Love my K2 and have an NFC HM in the works. The retail prices are considerably more than PB. They fish and feel fantastic.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:29 am

If high end is where you want to be, its the SCV, HM, K2, or Point Blank in my opinion.

NFC and Phenix, while great blanks, aren't going to be as fast as a St. Croix XF action. I don't have any blank in my database from those two companies that match the St. Croix XF's I have. Point Blank will be the company that will come very close to St. Croix's speed. If that's important to you.

A 5 power (or 4 power) MB from NFC is going to be in the power class of the XF. I don't have anything in my database from Phenix in this class. Not that there isn't. I just haven't built on it and measured it. The PB691MLXF would be the Point Blank I'd steer you towards to compete with that XF in both power and action.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

drenner43
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drenner43 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:48 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:There's about a thousand different blanks that would work. Can you be more specific as to what you want in a blank? I can't help with St Croix, but I highly recommend you give something else a shot. If anything, just for variety sake. Lots of really nice blanks on the market. Furthermore, I encourage everyone to try a Point Blank. You won't be disappointed. High end, high quality, and not over priced. I absolutely love mine and see plenty more in my future. Nothing but impressed in every aspect. If your total weight is around a quarter ounce, I'd suggest the 691mlxf. Anything heavier I'd opt for the 691mxf. Nice thing with Point Blank is there is little guess work with data and measurements. It's all listed on the website. No, I'm not affiliated, just a big fan. Love my K2 and have an NFC HM in the works. The retail prices are considerably more than PB. They fish and feel fantastic.
I know there are many blanks that will work. I'm just looking for suggestions people have tried and liked for similar tasks. I'll be fishing 1/8-1/4 oz lures with 10-12lb test line. I hadn't really thought about it but i kind of agree with you on the variety sake. I had initially thought i'll just have all matching rods but it might be nice to try something different. Obviously sensitivity is a must as i'm very pleased with the sensitivity of the SCV rods i have and i don't want to go backwards. I've been off the site for a bit and missed out on the NFC 50% off sale. I'd have loved to try one of their HM blanks but at full price they are a little more than i want to pay. The point blank 691 does have my attention

drenner43
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drenner43 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:56 am

Mattman wrote:If high end is where you want to be, its the SCV, HM, K2, or Point Blank in my opinion.

NFC and Phenix, while great blanks, aren't going to be as fast as a St. Croix XF action. I don't have any blank in my database from those two companies that match the St. Croix XF's I have. Point Blank will be the company that will come very close to St. Croix's speed. If that's important to you.

A 5 power (or 4 power) MB from NFC is going to be in the power class of the XF. I don't have anything in my database from Phenix in this class. Not that there isn't. I just haven't built on it and measured it. The PB691MLXF would be the Point Blank I'd steer you towards to compete with that XF in both power and action.
Thanks Matt. I would like to stay on the high end. I like what i have and don't want to go backwards but am definitely open to trying a different blank if it will offer what i am looking for. You would suggest the ML instead of the M power on the point blank? As you mentioned, being used to the speed of the Croix it is important to me

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:34 pm

drenner43 wrote: You would suggest the ML instead of the M power on the point blank?
Don't get too hung up on terms like ML and M. They are arbitrary, at best, terms. If you're talking one line of blanks from one manufacturer, then sure. But across lines and especially across manufacturers, they are almost without value.

I don't really put any stock in "M" or "ML". Or even the lure weight ratings. I measure a blank by weighing the load it takes to deflect the blank. That's repeatable across lines and brands and provides a direct comparison.

I've measured a fair amount of St. Croix MXF's. Not the one you mention, but certainly the 68's. The power in that MXF from St. Croix is very close to the listed power of the Point Blank. And of the Point Blank blanks that I've measured, my measurements have mimic'd what is listed in the literature.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:02 am

5s68mxf is a SOLID shakey head blank. I extend mine about 4" to make a true 7'. Very lightweight and has the XF tip that you want for feeling the bite and shaking. The rod also has some backbone to pull the fish in (even in weeds). I use it a lot of jig worming too (which is a popular method this part of the country). Also makes a great walleye jigging rod... IMO, it is one of the most versatile spinning blanks out there for 1/8-3/8 oz stuff

drenner43
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drenner43 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:32 am

Ended up going with a Point Blank PB691MLXF build from Matt. Can't wait to get it now! Thanks for the help guys. i'll report back on the performance once i get it and put it to use