CrankBait Rods for Rapala DT14 -DT20 and Deep X300, Any suggestion???

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

CrankBait Rods for Rapala DT14 -DT20 and Deep X300, Any suggestion???

Post by wirinhar » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi All,

I have just bought my self St Croix Legend Tournament Big Cranker and it is a great rod for 3/5oz (Rapala DT10) and 5/8oz (OSP Blitz Max) but I feel it is a bit too light for 3/4oz lure such as Rapala DT14, Deep X300 and Deep-Six.

Will you all think I should try St Croix Legend Tournament Magnum Cranker for those heavy lure???, or if you all don't mind to share what is your best American made Rods for deep crank baits???, or has anyone used G-Rods Pro Bass / Game Changer 7'11" Heavy Crankbait Rod before?

Thank you all in advance and all inputs are appreciated.

Regards,
WW
Last edited by wirinhar on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: CrankBait Rods for Rapala DT14 -DT20 and Deep X300, Any suggestion???

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:34 pm

So you need a heavier rod right? Meant to say its too light for the 3/4 right?

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 am

DirtyD64 wrote:So you need a heavier rod right? Meant to say its too light for the 3/4 right?
yes, I need a heavier rod in order to cast 3/4 oz.

St Croix Big Cranker is supposed to be up to 1oz but it is tip heavy even on 3/4 oz.

Any inputs are much appreciated.

Thanks,
WW

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 am

What price point are you looking for and are any brands specifically what you want? I know recently I checked out some heavier cranking rods, considered moving near a deeper lake, also I use them occasionally for heavy spinnerbaits and for heavier chatterbaits. I was amazed to see how weak of a tip some of the 1/2-2oz rated cranking rods had... Honestly I didn't see them being able to chunk a 10xd or the big lucky craft cranks. Felt like the tip was way too whippy for lures that size.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:25 am

DirtyD64 wrote:What price point are you looking for and are any brands specifically what you want? I know recently I checked out some heavier cranking rods, considered moving near a deeper lake, also I use them occasionally for heavy spinnerbaits and for heavier chatterbaits. I was amazed to see how weak of a tip some of the 1/2-2oz rated cranking rods had... Honestly I didn't see them being able to chunk a 10xd or the big lucky craft cranks. Felt like the tip was way too whippy for lures that size.
Thanks for info, DirtyD64.

I do prefer long powerful crank bait rod with a moderate action that can cast 3/4oz comfortably.

Thanks,
WW

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:07 am

Most rods I mentioned that were overly soft were 7'9" plus. The McCain rods had a 1/2-2oz cranker that felt WAY to soft. The new 7'11" Lew's Mark Rose Heavy crank rod would be good if you aren't brand loyal, they have a great warranty.

Would just need to know more about what brand you want and how much you want to spend...

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:12 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Most rods I mentioned that were overly soft were 7'9" plus. The McCain rods had a 1/2-2oz cranker that felt WAY to soft. The new 7'11" Lew's Mark Rose Heavy crank rod would be good if you aren't brand loyal, they have a great warranty.

Would just need to know more about what brand you want and how much you want to spend...
Hi DirtyD64,

i was actually looking at Gloomis GLX crankbait many years ago and I ordered and it never comes at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am not sure what had happened with the Gloomis distribution in Malaysia. I have emailed them and there is no reply at all :).

The only American Rod that I can get here is St Croix and I need to wait for 3 months each time I order so i need to choose the right one. I thought the Big Cranker will suit me well throwing 3/4oz, but it was good up to 3/5. so I might wanna go for magnum cranker.

I don't really mind to spend more as long as makes me smile :).

Regards,
WW

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Are any megabass rods on your radar :big grin: there are several lines available and you don't necessarily have to break your bank open :lol:

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Cristo wrote:Are any megabass rods on your radar :big grin: there are several lines available and you don't necessarily have to break your bank open :lol:
Megabass produce good rods and it has great cosmetic and finishing for very very sure :). They are plenty over here and I had used them. I am sorry that I have never had luck with those good rods.

For Megabass, I do like lures and reels alot :)

Regards,
WW