SV103 - How many do you own?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Will the Daiwa SV103 reel go down as one of those reels to reach "legendary" status for its durability, versatility, and customizable platform since they were really only around from 2015-2017? Before the discontinuation (I wonder why they were, yet they still are in the new catalog), I saw them in the Daiwa 2015 catalog and liked them since they were a TD-Z/Zillion frame but it wasn't until this past spring that I ordered my first. Now I own five with hopes of owning more. I have many Shimano reels and have been a Shimano guy for many more years than I have fished with Daiwa, but these reels really impress me (and seem to have a big following here and on other sites). Why all of a sudden did they become the "it" reel when in 2015 and 2016, almost no one was talking about them. Any input/feedback is helpful. Also, I think I want to try and customize one or two of mine but I am new to it so I want to be sure I do it right. Thanks!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 pm

I believe there wasn't a whole lot of talk or hype upon release as it wasn't really anything new to loyal Daiwa followers. Zillion platform and SV technology were already well known. Kind of a no brainer. All the talk and circulation began from the folks like yourself who weren't familiar, and then the people who were chimed in. Kinda blew up from there. I don't think it will ever become legendary. The Zillion was already some what in that category due to it being a bullet proof work horse. The SV technology was relatively ground breaking (for me anyways), but had already been introduced before the SV103 came about. Had the SV103 been the 1st reel with SV technology, well then perhaps legendary. When I think legendary in low profiles, only the Tdz comes to mind. We're definitely not talking Tdz here. The SV103 is a great reel, but the Steez SV TW is just special. A new breed of Steez (all new profile) with Daiwas latest features, TW and SV. 5 years down the road more people will be talking about it than the SV103. . . . I think. Especially if Megabass makes a few variations 8-)

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Well stated. I agree that very few reels can/will ever duplicate a TD-Z. I would love to see if they did a Megabass/Daiwa collaboration on the new Steez SV TWS platform. Yes, I am new to the SV103 since the spring but think it is a great reel for so many applications with so many customizing options. And I own a number of high end reels from both Shimano and Daiwa but just seem to like the way this reel feels. Thanks for a great post and I look forward to hearing from others as well. Have a good night!
Last edited by Big-Bass on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Like you, I'm primarily a Shimano guy, having owned almost every Shimano low profile Curado and up since the E's. I also own or have owned a number of Daiwa. While I agree the sv103 is a fantastic multi purpose reel, I don't think I'd put it above a couple other reels in the same price range, namely Daiwa's own Zillion SV TW (I think it's a little better caster as a general purpose reel), the 200E's, the 50e's (especially the old Aldebaran), and for a little more I really like the 13 Mets and the MGL's are the best all around reel I've ever used.

That being said, much of the charm is, like you said, in customizations. I don't care as much about that as most of my setups are fairly dedicated. It's fun, but not practical to own many spools for the same reel unless you have under 5 or so rods (which many do and in that case is a huge bonus). My pixy/bfs Aldebaran are better finesse platforms, my Mets are lighter, slightly better casters even with the light stuff, and smoother, if only a tiny bit. We'll see if they're as durable as previous generation Shimano's, but I haven't had a single problem in four years.

I love the two sv103's I use, and they're tanks for sure. Fantastic do everything reels, but in my opinion, they're just that. A must have reel for any enthusiast, but not necessarily the best at anything. They're an awesome value under $250, which is one reason they may have been so popular as of late. Another is they seem to be the swan song for the OG Zillion. I know I'm not selling mine anytime soon.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 pm

I have heard great things about the Zillion SV TW and owned one for a brief moment before foolishly returning it. I may have to get another to "re-try" it. Or just get that Zillion SV spool and pop it into one of my SV103 reels. 8-)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:43 pm

Big-Bass wrote:I have heard great things about the Zillion SV TW and owned one for a brief moment before foolishly returning it. I may have to get another to "re-try" it. Or just get that Zillion SV spool and pop it into one of my SV103 reels. 8-)
Why did you return it? I got one and ordered a second within a month. One has a slightly loose thumb bar/clutch release but that's it. Reel will BOMB.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:08 am

I returned it and now think to myself that I should have kept it longer to try it out more. Maybe I will buy one in the future.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 am

Big-Bass wrote:I have heard great things about the Zillion SV TW and owned one for a brief moment before foolishly returning it. I may have to get another to "re-try" it. Or just get that Zillion SV spool and pop it into one of my SV103 reels. 8-)
I have an Zillion SV TW and an SV103 and I strongly prefer the latter. The Zillion feels worse in hand and in use then the SV103 to the point where the Zillion got demoted to my frog/swimbait rod while SV103 gets to live on a rod I use all the time.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 am

Houndfish wrote:
I have an Zillion SV TW and an SV103 and I strongly prefer the latter. The Zillion feels worse in hand and in use then the SV103 to the point where the Zillion got demoted to my frog/swimbait rod while SV103 gets to live on a rod I use all the time.
I even didn't bother with demotion. Sold my Zillion SV and bought third SV103. Just get the G1 spool for your SV103. Quite frankly, that spool is the only thing that is great about the Zillion SV.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:59 am

Yea, I keep hearing that. I have yet to try it out as my G1 spool is full of 25lb mono so I don't think it will be an good apples to apples test against the stock spool filled with 16lb floro. I think I am going to pick up a spare G1 once TT gets them back in stock I need a spare spool for the frog/swimbait combo as it is and I think the stock sv103 spool should do fine for small swimbaits, so I can stick a G1 into the SV103 full time.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 am

Curious if the SV103 reels are popular in Japan since it is made for the US market. I have a Zillion SV (also a great reel) and the spool is more responsive, but the SV103 frame just feels more comfortable, smoother, and robust. I have not tried the Zillion G1 SV spool in the SV103, but merging them would have the best of both worlds.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 am

The SV103 is durable enough to eventually achieve legendary status. The appeal of the OG Zillion was its bullet proof durability. Durability and legend go together. I own a fleet of the OG Zillions that have been fished hard for a decade or so and they have no signs of needing replacement. The only thing that they ever needed is a lighter spool for lighter baits. I don't fish lighter baits as much as I did decades ago, but the SV spool compatibility gave the Zillion everything that any other Daiwa reel has, and it has got me throwing lighter baits more often again.
I own two SV103XS and one SV103H. I caught multiple 6+ pound fish punching grass and pitching docks on Clearlake with heavy line on the two SV103XS reels this past week. I felt sorry for the fish because those reels are solid as a rock.
One of my old Fuego's started feeling geary last week because it has seen a ton of use over the last 12 or so years. I was crushing them on small cranks every morning and evening for over a week this past trip. It has a TDZ 100M spool in it that I use for small cranks. I bought the SV103H as soon as I got back to replace it because it's barely more expensive to buy an SV103 vs. rebuilding the Fuego, and I don't have to wait for parts. I may buy a couple more if I can't help myself. :D

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:06 am

Is there a different place to buy the SV103 than TW?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:39 am

Ive got one. The XS model. I would have more, but I already have modded TD Zillions, so I didnt really need to change them out. Love the SV103 though, and its an instant classic. Personally not a fan of the TWS in the Daiwas. I dont care for the extra moving parts that dont make enough of a difference to me in performance.
<")))><{

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:24 pm

I wonder how an OG Steez spool (black one) or a TD-Z spool performs in the SV103? I really want that Zillion spool(s) for my reels. I still wonder why they discontinued this reel? I wish they would do a special edition of it in the near future and add some bling parts...but I am also waiting on that anniversary TD-Z ;) !