SV103 - How many do you own?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:28 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
fishingkat wrote:Hi I m looking to get a megabass is finesse spool for the sv103. Do you guys know if it will fit? Due the the difference of air brake vs mag force z. Thanks.
It's 34 mm so it will indeed fit. The question is how will it perform. It really depends on how strong / weak the magnetic polarity of the SV103 is. In my experience it is a little stronger than most other Daiwa reels, with the exception of an SS SV. Mag force Z or Air brake doesn't matter. That's simply a matter of how the inductor works. With air braking it pushes in and out, as well as rotates to a degree. Mag force Z only pushes in and out. It's an odd combination none the less. A heavily ported finesse spool in a tank, workhorse of a reel. Different strokes I suppose. Definitely try it. That's the TT way.
So are you saying the SV103 is a little over braked? I'm really considering one for my final reel (for now), but planned on putting a Zillion SV TW spool in it (once back in stock), and moving the SV103 spool to my SS/SV which is on a 7' medium crank rod...
I don't want to say it's over braked. It's just a little more restricted than any of my other Daiwa SV reels. Pretty close to the Steez SV103. I can keep the brake dial on 1 or 2 with just about any size bait and not worry about over runs. After a short break in period, it does open up a bit more. I'm not disappointed in distance, but my other SV reels will out cast it. A spool with a slightly smaller inductor may be the ticket to bliss. I haven't tried it though.
What SV reels are you referring to? I bought 2 Zillion SV TW reels, and planned on trying an SV103, if they aren't as close for distance and lightweight casting though, I'm just gonna go Zillion SV TW again or try something off the wall like a Chronarch MGL.
Okay, well 1st of all don't get all crazy and go buying a Shimano because one reel casts 5 yards less than the other. It isn't significant, just noticeable. It's nothing like the SS SV. If people were disappointed with the SV103, we wouldn't have numerous threads about it like this one.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: It's 34 mm so it will indeed fit. The question is how will it perform. It really depends on how strong / weak the magnetic polarity of the SV103 is. In my experience it is a little stronger than most other Daiwa reels, with the exception of an SS SV. Mag force Z or Air brake doesn't matter. That's simply a matter of how the inductor works. With air braking it pushes in and out, as well as rotates to a degree. Mag force Z only pushes in and out. It's an odd combination none the less. A heavily ported finesse spool in a tank, workhorse of a reel. Different strokes I suppose. Definitely try it. That's the TT way.
So are you saying the SV103 is a little over braked? I'm really considering one for my final reel (for now), but planned on putting a Zillion SV TW spool in it (once back in stock), and moving the SV103 spool to my SS/SV which is on a 7' medium crank rod...
I don't want to say it's over braked. It's just a little more restricted than any of my other Daiwa SV reels. Pretty close to the Steez SV103. I can keep the brake dial on 1 or 2 with just about any size bait and not worry about over runs. After a short break in period, it does open up a bit more. I'm not disappointed in distance, but my other SV reels will out cast it. A spool with a slightly smaller inductor may be the ticket to bliss. I haven't tried it though.
What SV reels are you referring to? I bought 2 Zillion SV TW reels, and planned on trying an SV103, if they aren't as close for distance and lightweight casting though, I'm just gonna go Zillion SV TW again or try something off the wall like a Chronarch MGL.
Okay, well 1st of all don't get all crazy and go buying a Shimano because one reel casts 5 yards less than the other. It isn't significant, just noticeable. It's nothing like the SS SV. If people were disappointed with the SV103, we wouldn't have numerous threads about it like this one.
No worries, as much as I wanted to try the Chronarch MGL, there seem to be just too many threads negative about it, or people saying they had one and returned it... They will say it was fine, but I returned it... I have never had a "fine" reel I ever thought about returning.
As far as the SV103 goes, I could trade some long bomb distance for a robust metal frame and a build regarded as one of the better workhorse reels of all time. I am just waiting to see if I get birthday bonuses (getting too old) and if I do, there are a few 7.9 right handed SV103's I'm hoping aren't sold out. If they are gone I will either buy one of the discounted SV105's or another Zillion SV TW.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:24 pm

The answer for me is 5, not enough :lol: I really enjoy the SV103, it's a great reel as a big fan of the original Zillion platform.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:48 am

My most recent XS came from you guys at the Tackle Trap...in fact, it must have come straight from Japan. The box it was shipped in was a Daiwa box with the model number and everything on it.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 am

ZERO- But i have just acquired Tatula #6.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:06 am

I have 3 of the XSL. Nothing matches them IMO for flipping/pitching - very sturdy and solid feeling. This is coming from a mostly shimano guy.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:51 pm

jpmoney wrote:I have 3 of the XSL. Nothing matches them IMO for flipping/pitching - very sturdy and solid feeling. This is coming from a mostly shimano guy.
I THINK I have found a right handed 7.9. I was really wanting to try the Chronarch MGL when the labor day sales start, the SV103 is non TW and listed for $250. I am going to put it on a MH rod, 14lb fluoro or 30lb braid. Does the SV103 top the MGL as another posted stated?

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:14 am

I own 4. If you like the OG Zillion, you should like the SV103. Its a smooth workhouse. I love it for pitching jigs, throwing spinnerbaits, and heavier texas rigs.
Last edited by njbasscat on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:40 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
jpmoney wrote:I have 3 of the XSL. Nothing matches them IMO for flipping/pitching - very sturdy and solid feeling. This is coming from a mostly shimano guy.
I THINK I have found a right handed 7.9. I was really wanting to try the Chronarch MGL when the labor day sales start, the SV103 is non TW and listed for $250. I am going to put it on a MH rod, 14lb fluoro or 30lb braid. Does the SV103 top the MGL as another posted stated?

I can't comment whether or not the sv103 tops the Chronarch MGL as i dont own the Chronarch. I do however own several metanium MGL's and REALLY enjoy them. If the Chronarch MGL performs close to the metanium MGL then there's no way the SV103 "tops" it. The SV103 isn't the longest casting reel out there however in my experience with them i have never been disappointed with the distance. The stock spool in the sv103 has a lot to do with it and I'm certain that using a spool like the zpi nrcpg001 will change things drastically.

I would personally go with the daiwa...aluminum frame and just a classic platform. Not knocking the Chronarch MGL but im just not a huge fan of composite frame reels. I highly doubt you will be disappointed in the sv103.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:21 pm

jpmoney wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

I can't comment whether or not the sv103 tops the Chronarch MGL as i dont own the Chronarch. I do however own several metanium MGL's and REALLY enjoy them. If the Chronarch MGL performs close to the metanium MGL then there's no way the SV103 "tops" it. The SV103 isn't the longest casting reel out there however in my experience with them i have never been disappointed with the distance. The stock spool in the sv103 has a lot to do with it and I'm certain that using a spool like the zpi nrcpg001 will change things drastically.

I would personally go with the daiwa...aluminum frame and just a classic platform. Not knocking the Chronarch MGL but im just not a huge fan of composite frame reels. I highly doubt you will be disappointed in the sv103.
I had the zpinrc001 spool in one of my sv103s,the distance was better but only by a few feet, i sold the spool and sent my stock spool to ian to polish the spool tips and install a stiffer spring ,and also added yt hd fusion bearings and it made a good improvement over stock

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:25 pm

I have had the SV103Xs for now 2 weeks and I am in love. I am even thinking of getting another one (though the XS are only getting sold on ebay for a premium). COnsidering the slower 6.3 (I am a lefty).

Use the 7.9 for topwater and thinking of getting the 6.3 for an all around reel (skipping, etc.).

My Antares DC is going to the second place right now...lol

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:17 pm

freelancer27 wrote:I have had the SV103Xs for now 2 weeks and I am in love. I am even thinking of getting another one (though the XS are only getting sold on ebay for a premium). COnsidering the slower 6.3 (I am a lefty).

Use the 7.9 for topwater and thinking of getting the 6.3 for an all around reel (skipping, etc.).

So they are pretty solid reels? I have no qualms at all with Daiwa reel performance or reliability, just have a random feel to try a Shimano. The Chronarch MGL fits my price point and I liked the palm feel of the Ci4+, so I thought it out. The SV103 I found is $250 though, and for now the SV105 is $165 new... Almost makes me want another 105 on account of the price and smaller size. Are they really that much weaker than the other reels as far as torque/power goes? I thought I read somewhere once that the Alphas/SV105 reels share gears with a Daiwa round reel???

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:18 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:I have had the SV103Xs for now 2 weeks and I am in love. I am even thinking of getting another one (though the XS are only getting sold on ebay for a premium). COnsidering the slower 6.3 (I am a lefty).

So they are pretty solid reels? I have no qualms at all with Daiwa reel performance or reliability, just have a random feel to try a Shimano. The Chronarch MGL fits my price point and I liked the palm feel of the Ci4+, so I thought it out. The SV103 I found is $250 though, and for now the SV105 is $165 new... Almost makes me want another 105 on account of the price and smaller size. Are they really that much weaker than the other reels as far as torque/power goes? I thought I read somewhere once that the Alphas/SV105 reels share gears with a Daiwa round reel???
I love the SV103. Sturdy build, relatively leight and the torque is just great (not just for a high gear). I can just recommend it!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:00 pm

What is a reel that can be compared with the SV103? I am wondering if I should pick up another one or get a reel that is similar as the SV103?!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 pm

freelancer27 wrote:What is a reel that can be compared with the SV103? I am wondering if I should pick up another one or get a reel that is similar as the SV103?!
The SV105 (Alphas SV) may be an option as it is at least spiritually similar. It's a smaller reel but much like the SV103 it is a an older beloved Daiwa platform brought back to life with an SV spool. SV103 are basically TD Zillion 103 SVs. If you want anther TD Zillion then try another TD Zillion. TD Zillion HLCs and Type Rs are tops picks. Megabass IP is also worth mentioning. The IP68 looks sharp on an Orochi XX too.