What to do with broken JDM Destroyer?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What to do with broken JDM Destroyer?

Post by jtgibso1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:58 am

It's been about 6 months since i broke it and might finally be over it enough to post about it! Like a moron, i broke my JDM destroyer bandersnatch casting rod.... what a phenomenal spinnerbait rod too! So here's the deal, i paid a little over $300 for it from japan, got it on sale. I had hardly even used the rod, hadn't had it long enough to really use it much. I had it on the front of the kayak and wasn't paying attention and the wind blew me into a log and SNAP the rod was in 2 pieces!
since it's a JDM rod, megabass USA has nothing to do with it... i have the warranty card and megabass japan would replace it under warranty, no questions asked. Problem is, i have to pay the replacement fee on the warranty card which is about $200. I also have to pay shipping BOTH WAYS which is not cheap to japan! On top of all that, the replacement rod i would receive would no longer be under any warranty. So all that said, sounds like a terrible option! I could get a new one for about the same cost and less hassle, not to mention it would be under warranty!
so now my question is what to do with this rod? There's too much broken off to try and just put a new tip on and fish it as a heavier rod.....
can i sell it to someone to use the parts off of it for a custom build?
could i sell it to someone to make some sort of a splice/repair?

i've since replaced my spinnerbait rod so i really don't have a good need for this thing, but it pains me to look at it broken on my rod rack and there's just no way i can bring myself to scrapping it!

appreciate any suggestions!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: What to do with broken JDM Destroyer?

Post by Mattman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:54 pm

jtgibso1 wrote:
can i sell it to someone to use the parts off of it for a custom build?
Yes

jtgibso1 wrote:
could i sell it to someone to make some sort of a splice/repair?
Yes

jtgibso1 wrote:
i've since replaced my spinnerbait rod so i really don't have a good need for this thing, but it pains me to look at it broken on my rod rack and there's just no way i can bring myself to scrapping it!

appreciate any suggestions!
You could have it repaired and keep it or sell it. If its a nice clean break, and not too close to the tip, it can be put back together. Its not going to be the same rod but it will be a serviceable rod.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Next time take a G Loomis 8-)

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Do you have to ship the entire broken rod to Japan?

Some companies let you send just the handle and the specs part of the rod.

That may be an option if you contact Megabass Japan.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:25 am

It's worth exploring the repair route IMO.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:05 am

If you are having issues sending it in to be warrantied, I wouldn't worry about buying a new one with warranty since you state it'll cost about the same.

Either try to fix it or sell it as broken to recoup some costs and buy a new one.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 am

personally I would strip off the reusable components, get a half decent blank and have a custom rod built. nothing fancy, to keep cost down, a dedicated kayak rod. can even have the builder install clip on it to attach a lanyard for the yak.
anyways bummer story, good luck

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:07 pm

If you still have the rod and want to send pics, I’d be interested in having a look.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:36 pm

Soooo What did you do with it?