Looking for a rod that I can use for medium swim and glide baits and heavy flipping

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Looking for a rod that I can use for medium swim and glide baits and heavy flipping

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:32 am

Hi all,

Looking for a rod that I can use for medium swim and glide baits and heavy flipping.

I am currently using a Okuma Scott Martin TCS Casting Rod 7'3" Heavy that is rated for 1/4 -2 oz but it is a bit underpowered for the swimbaits that I am throwing and also is a bit too short in length.

Baits that I looking to throw:

Swim-Glide baits
* Huds 68
* Duel Hardcore Twitch'n Ninja Glider
* Team Leader Baits Bad Boy Glide Bait 7"
* Mattlures Ultimate Bluegill Series Swimbait

Punching/Flipping
* 1-1.5oz Jigs / Weighted plastic

The rod needs to be relatively light (for the flipping part) and I would prefer a longer handle.

Here are some options that I am considering:

*  Phenix M1 Swimbait Casting Rod 8' Med Hvy
* Phenix M1 Swimbait Casting Rod 8' Heavy
* Genesis II Cast Rod 7'8" Jr. Swimbait Med Hvy
* Dobyns Fury Casting Rod 7'9" Med Hvy Swimbait
* Okuma Guide Select "a" Series Swimbait Rod 7'11" Heavy
* other options?

Price point should be under 200 USD.

Thanks for your help!

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for a rod that I can use for medium swim and glide baits and heavy flipping

Post by capt1fish » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Simple. Kistler MAD 8’

This is the Mark Daniels signature rod. Mark was a local here at the CA Delta prior to moving to AL to chase the BASS tour. It’s designed with a mod fast action which keeps fish buttoned in heavy cover and also aids in casting the baits you listed. If it wasn’t for Mark’s design/signature, I wouldn’t own any Kistlers.

From my understanding, iRod’s Bub Tosh punch rod has similar characteristics. I’m not familiar with the rod but sharing what I’ve heard.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for a rod that I can use for medium swim and glide baits and heavy flipping

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:01 pm

Given criteria, I'd suggest the Dobyns and drop extra coin on more baits or something. You'll be happy with it.
PEACE

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 am

My buddy has the Okuma, for a 7-11 it is very light.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:35 am

capt1fish wrote:Simple. Kistler MAD 8’

This is the Mark Daniels signature rod. Mark was a local here at the CA Delta prior to moving to AL to chase the BASS tour. It’s designed with a mod fast action which keeps fish buttoned in heavy cover and also aids in casting the baits you listed. If it wasn’t for Mark’s design/signature, I wouldn’t own any Kistlers.

From my understanding, iRod’s Bub Tosh punch rod has similar characteristics. I’m not familiar with the rod but sharing what I’ve heard.
Interesting. I was not aware of this telescopic rod. 300 USD is a bit over my price limit though.
GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:Given criteria, I'd suggest the Dobyns and drop extra coin on more baits or something. You'll be happy with it.
I handled the Dobyns yesterday in a store. The guy there said that the guides on the Dobyns were too cheap and he recommended me the Daiwa DX Swimbait Casting Rod 8' Med Hvy instead.

TommyG wrote:My buddy has the Okuma, for a 7-11 it is very light.
Yeah - will have a closer look at this one too!

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:48 am

ALX - powerbolt

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 pm

freelancer27 wrote:I handled the Dobyns yesterday in a store. The guy there said that the guides on the Dobyns were too cheap and he recommended me the Daiwa DX Swimbait Casting Rod 8' Med Hvy instead.
Okay. I didn't see that as a listed option. Daiwa is good, too. Just trying to help. Good luck.
PEACE

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:49 pm

freelancer27 wrote:

Interesting. I was not aware of this telescopic rod. 300 USD is a bit over my price limit though.
The rod os one piece, non telescopic.

I was able to find one through classified for $200. Perhaps upcoming Veterans Day sale will save you some money.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 am

capt1fish wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

The rod os one piece, non telescopic.

I was able to find one through classified for $200. Perhaps upcoming Veterans Day sale will save you some money.
Where exactly? ;)