ALX rod suggestion

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

ALX rod suggestion

Post by Montanaro » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Im looking for a rod in the zolo series that can handle throwing 3/8oz chatterbaits. I fish a lot of grass and lily pads with braid and need a rod that has the power to horse a bass out/away from the grass but has a slower action to help with not pulling the bait away.

Their crank rod has a moderate action but their deputy rod seems to fit the bill outside of being a fast action. I have heard ALX rods are slower than listed so maybe the deputy would work for me.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ALX rod suggestion

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Deputy would be perfect imo. It's definitely on the slower side of fast, and that bait is certainly in its wheelhouse.

rich in co
Angler
Angler

Post by rich in co » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:52 pm

The Deputy would work for sure, but don't under sell the toadface sweet tip great back bone can handle what you are looking for plus frogs, and some jig work also i use it primarily as my 3/8 ish jig rod. I have the the deputy, toad, and dragger and the toad is a great rod my fav of the 3

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:04 am

Thanks guys. I had been using an Okuma TCS APC rod for chatterbaits that I ended up breaking. It was along the lines of 40% tip and 60% backbone.

The deputy concerns me as Ive read many posts about people using the deputy with jigs and trigs which is not something I would have felt comfortable doing with the Okuma TCS.

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:34 pm

The deputy and toad face are both nice chatterbait rods!
Fish on!