Calling all diehard topwater junkys

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Calling all diehard topwater junkys

Post by DetroitBassN » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm

I fish almost strictly topwater and im already gearing up for spring. I have my stick baits of choice and poppers but im looking for a very productive prop bait. Ive tried many but the only guaranteed catcher for me has been the smaller heddon torpedos. Problem is i fish a very heavy fished reservoir and im looking for a prop bait thats not too big but has some weight a fancier torpedo with a little more weight would be killer. I never had success fishing twin prop baits like the bees but im really looking for a good prop bait. I caught a few last year on lucky crafts wake tail but the size catches didn't stack up to the old school torpedo. I will be fishing this on a med fast triumph with a JDM Steez 103HL lined with 12lb sunline natural. Any solid recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Ill be fishing darker water.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Calling all diehard topwater junkys

Post by bigturtle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm

deps buzzjet, megabass i loud, ima helips grande, jackall binksy, jackall chan wake, and megabass lapstick were ones iv had success in the past.

Of those, I really like the jackall binksy because you can slowly straight retrieve it and the blade will clack against the back prop, turning it into a mini floating buzzbait. Very versatile bait.

The megabass lapstick can be fished very fast and I like it as well.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Huge fan of the Binksy. Not a traditional prop bait, but you can work it so many ways. Great size and weight. Not to big or small. I also really like the Ima Helips. Not as versatile as the Binksy, but I dig it. I'm more into smaller wing type baits like the Dstyle reserve and Megabass Grand siglett. Fun stuff that most fish haven't seen.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:40 am

Gandy lures have very nice prop baits oh and huge +1 on Buzzjets :big grin:

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 pm

DetroitBassN wrote:I fish almost strictly topwater and im already gearing up for spring. I have my stick baits of choice and poppers but im looking for a very productive prop bait. Ive tried many but the only guaranteed catcher for me has been the smaller heddon torpedos. Problem is i fish a very heavy fished reservoir and im looking for a prop bait thats not too big but has some weight a fancier torpedo with a little more weight would be killer. I never had success fishing twin prop baits like the bees but im really looking for a good prop bait. I caught a few last year on lucky crafts wake tail but the size catches didn't stack up to the old school torpedo. I will be fishing this on a med fast triumph with a JDM Steez 103HL lined with 12lb sunline natural. Any solid recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Ill be fishing darker water.
Check out RiverValleyCrankbaits on facebook, I think you will really like the propbaits

download/file.php?mode=view&id=19730

c
Attachments
1386467044404.jpg
1386467044404.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Sorry to say this, but I cannot stand topwater... Nothing is better than catching a huge topwater fish and the blow ups are one of the best things about fishing. I however just am not a good topwater fisherman and don't have much luck with it is why I don't enjoy it much.

The topwater's I do great on though are prop baits and poppers. Maybe you should give a look into the Ima Helips Grande and/or Ima Helips. I have been able to use them and keep up with friends who are much better with topwaters of all variations. Another good one is the Rapala X-Rap Prop and the Lucky Craft Kelly J Prop Bait in either size.

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 pm

You say your not a good topwater fisherman because you don't want to be. I fish almost exclusively topwater from shore or docks under any conditions almost. Im addicted. I catch some big ones for northern strain. Check out my show and tell pictures.

I wish I could have my old account back I was here a long time. Call talked me into an f4 Elseil back in the day that ill forever regret selling. I use a Triumph rod now lol. I do have a JDM Steez 103HL on it ill never part with. Im 34 now I must of been early 20s when I was on here and coming back the wealth of knowledge still to be found here at tackletour is amazing. Thanks everyone.

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 am

Keep the recommendations coming but add what you notice and like about the lure compared to others.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 am

The Ima Helips a few people mentioned just flat out works. The Rapala X-rap Prop has a longer skinny profile so that is a way to switch it up. I am assuming you've already used the smallest Whopper Ploppers???

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am

Personally, the I Jack is what i am looking to get but
I have several ILoud prop baits and they work when you go slowwwwww.. you can't go fast the slower the better
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:13 am

3 of my personal favourites:
- Bassday Bubble Crank
- Bassday Bustle
- LuckyCraft Network Members Special NW-Amigo

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Buzzzzzzzzjet, pick the right size for you, and it's good to go.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:20 am

of course you would have to beef up your equipment for a iprop
but with your current setup i’d have to say the rapala skitter prop but with hooks
that weighs it down more. Also i lucky craft prop bait. they are great in my experience
and their props spin with the minimum efforts
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:32 pm

I do very well on the Ima Helips like some have mentioned. Everything about the bait is quality and it's made in Japan. I will add, if your a topwater guy, you should have a Jackall Pompadour Jr. in your tackle box. I can't believe how well that's produced for me on highly pressured lakes.