Noisy new Chronarch MGL - normal?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Noisy new Chronarch MGL - normal?

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:40 am

Hi all,

received my reel this morning and put it out the box and directly noticed some very distinct grinding noise (sounds a bit like a cobra that hisses). I have not noticed this with any other reel that I have (including Metanium MGL). I am wondering if this sound comes from the brass gears. To me it sounds a bit like the spool is touching the frame slightly when moving.

Anybody else with this experience?

Thanks.

Cheers.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Noisy new Chronarch MGL - normal?

Post by surge » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 am

Had some noise with Chronarch CI4+ out of the box. Changing pinion bearing made it sound less noisy.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:05 am

freelancer27 wrote:To me it sounds a bit like the spool is touching the frame slightly when moving.

Cheers.
Mine was and still is super quiet. If you feel like it sounds like the spool is touching the frame. Take the spool out and see if there is excess paint on the frame where the spool rides. Saw it once on one of my old CU200i, a small ridge of paint and it nicked the spool before I knocked it off. I'd probably just exchange the reel if I were you though.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 am

I received my new 151 MGL 10 days ago...brand new...no sound, it is smooth and quiet...more quiet that 15 Metanium DC I guess. :roll: ...the Metanium is not new but still runs very smooth and spinns more when I turn the handle that the Chronarch MGL...why?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:58 am

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:I received my new 151 MGL 10 days ago...brand new...no sound, it is smooth and quiet...more quiet that 15 Metanium DC I guess. :roll: ...the Metanium is not new but still runs very smooth and spinns more when I turn the handle that the Chronarch MGL...why?
Maybe it's not quite broken in concerning the handle spinning. I know as of now, my Tatula Type R original will free spin the handle longer than any reel I own even though it isn't the smoothest. It has been heavy fished for almost 4 seasons, and cleaned well with light oil numerous times.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 am

Some times micro gears require a little heavier greasing to quiet them down.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:10 am

brownhl wrote:Some times micro gears require a little heavier greasing to quiet them down.
Don't the reels come greased from the factory?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:10 pm

mark poulson wrote:
brownhl wrote:Some times micro gears require a little heavier greasing to quiet them down.
Don't the reels come greased from the factory?
Some not as well as they should...

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:24 am

Shimano recommends their ACT2 (same as Cal's) drag grease on the MGL gears to quiet them down.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:45 pm

You should not have to take apart a brand new reel to get it to sound "normal". Send it back and get a new one.