Daiwa gear replacement

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa gear replacement

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Supposedly, the duralumin main gear is tempered to be harder than the brass pinion gear in a Steez.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:32 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Supposedly, the duralumin main gear is tempered to be harder than the brass pinion gear in a Steez.
That's what they tell us. :D It sounds like a good thing, but I've destroyed quite a few, and they just haven't held up like any of the brass gear sets that I have. I think that the hardness or different pliability is what actually causes issues. When you mix gear set materials, problems are bound to happen. A little bit of pliability can be a good thing if both parts are experiencing the same effect. There is good reason for brass gear sets being the standard for so many years. I'll take the extra weight any day. I have found that you really have to make sure that all the areas of an alloy pinion are covered with grease if you want to get much lifespan out of them.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 am

toddmc wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Supposedly, the duralumin main gear is tempered to be harder than the brass pinion gear in a Steez.
That's what they tell us. :D It sounds like a good thing, but I've destroyed quite a few, and they just haven't held up like any of the brass gear sets that I have. I think that the hardness or different pliability is what actually causes issues. When you mix gear set materials, problems are bound to happen. A little bit of pliability can be a good thing if both parts are experiencing the same effect. There is good reason for brass gear sets being the standard for so many years. I'll take the extra weight any day. I have found that you really have to make sure that all the areas of an alloy pinion are covered with grease if you want to get much lifespan out of them.
Agreed!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hype
Angler
Angler

Post by Hype » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:12 pm

The so called duraluminum is a alloy that really SUCKS in any gear configuration , better suited where weight saving applications are mandatory and durability is not a priority , not the case here , reel gears need to be tough and durable , that crap has it's place , but not here , look it up , it is cheaper for the manufacturers but it's lifespan SUCKS !! probably great is you get reels or parts free but useless otherwise . So all you reel making companies PLEASE STOP MAKING REELS WITH THAT CRAP , IF YOU WANT TO KEEP US AROUND !! Yes I am in the steel industry and have been for many years and have seen ALOT of that kind of crap . WAY TOO MUCH !! [-X

torobroker
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by torobroker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:29 pm

toddmc wrote:The TDZ gears will be harder to get now that Daiwa isn't making them anymore. The Tackle Trap is having Daiwa make a batch of 6.3 Steez gears that will fit the TDZ, but they have an alloy pinion. The TT does have the 5.7 all brass gears. Does anyone have, or know a source to get the all brass right-handed 6.3 gears? I need a set before they before they are all gone?
You can order 6.3 gears from plat.co.jp, they are still available

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:08 pm

torobroker wrote:
toddmc wrote:The TDZ gears will be harder to get now that Daiwa isn't making them anymore. The Tackle Trap is having Daiwa make a batch of 6.3 Steez gears that will fit the TDZ, but they have an alloy pinion. The TT does have the 5.7 all brass gears. Does anyone have, or know a source to get the all brass right-handed 6.3 gears? I need a set before they before they are all gone?
You can order 6.3 gears from plat.co.jp, they are still available
Thanks. I was going to check with them this week.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 am

I ordered a few sets of the 6.3 right-handed all brass gear sets from Plat on the date of the last post (3/5). They sent a shipment e-mail today. Get the TDZ gear sets while they can still be had!

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 am

Just got mine in after seeing this post. Good for another few years...already wishing i would have bought more haha.
IMG_20180320_20645.jpg
IMG_20180320_20645.jpg (23.86 KiB) Viewed 4698 times

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 pm

My steez gear is becoming raspy as hell. Wanted to order a set from the tdz 103H but it looks like they're now out of stock on PLAT :(