For you spinnerbait Enthusiasts...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

For you spinnerbait Enthusiasts...

Post by spookybaits » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:13 am

Spinnerbaits are pretty hot in Japan right now, and racking up tournament wins.
Legit design/Wild side has just put out a limited edition Kita Daisuke signature rod made for one very specific task- throwing 3/8oz spinnerbaits in shallow water. Rod looks pretty rad!

Here's their blog article on it:
http://legitdesign.co.jp/daisuke-kita/% ... 83%A0/2434

Pics on backlash's blog:
https://ameblo.jp/backlash1996/entry-12354056435.html

More pics & specs:
https://www.casterhouse.co.jp/shop/prod ... tail/43855

On Amazon.jp
https://www.amazon.co.jp/LEGIT-DESIGN-% ... B079P1V9LW

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: For you spinnerbait Enthusiasts...

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 am

Very cool! 8-)

A bit off topic, but does anyone have experience with the Megabass - V9 Spinnerbaits?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 am

That's a nice simple build. That is the way that I have my custom sticks built. 6'5" is a little short for me though. I have a 6'9" medium extra-fast MHX High Modulus Spinnerbait blank build that usually gets the nod for 3/8oz. close quarters work. I've logged approximately 10,000 spinnerbait fish over the last three and half decades(I'm not bragging) on rods shorter than 6'9", but I can't go back. I've got a closet full of custom builds under 6'9" that are similar to this rod that haven't seen the light of day in many years.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:24 am

Pretty cool looking rods, I agree a bit short..I guess if you were making a lot of short sidearm casts it could be nice. Looks like it would be a pretty sweet jerk bait stick

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:55 am

Gone Phishin wrote:Very cool! 8-)

A bit off topic, but does anyone have experience with the Megabass - V9 Spinnerbaits?

Thin wire, they run very nice, and I get a lot of bites on them. They work great slow rolled or burned, and cast a mile. The downside is that the durability is meh. Largemouth fishing they hold up decent, but smallies mangle these. They bend the frame out crazy amounts. On this same thread netting fish>boat flipping on these guys.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:Very cool! 8-)

Thin wire, they run very nice, and I get a lot of bites on them. They work great slow rolled or burned, and cast a mile. The downside is that the durability is meh. Largemouth fishing they hold up decent, but smallies mangle these. They bend the frame out crazy amounts. On this same thread netting fish>boat flipping on these guys.

Thank you, you let me know exactly what I wanted to find out. 8-)

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:13 am

toddmc wrote:That's a nice simple build. That is the way that I have my custom sticks built. 6'5" is a little short for me though. I have a 6'9" medium extra-fast MHX High Modulus Spinnerbait blank build that usually gets the nod for 3/8oz. close quarters work. I've logged approximately 10,000 spinnerbait fish over the last three and half decades(I'm not bragging) on rods shorter than 6'9", but I can't go back. I've got a closet full of custom builds under 6'9" that are similar to this rod that haven't seen the light of day in many years.
Good points. Glad to see some attention paid to an almost lost art in the world of fishing.

I'd only add that rod length is very circumstantial. For close-in work, short casts, accuracy would be greatly increased by using a relatively short rod. From a kayak where we can float right up on a target area, this is ideal. The right spinnerbait works very well banging around against things, working top and bottom zones in the water, shallow stuff.

Fishing from a bank or a boat or just generally making long casts to cover water? A long rod designed to toss a particular weight spinnerbait would be ideal. What works for slinging a 3/8s won't likely be best for a larger lure.

With a long rod, one could line up a boat at the proper depth you think fish are to be found, say 5 feet of water off the shoreline, and make long casts down the bank to cover a ton of real estate at that depth.

Speaking of longer rods, note that the rules have changed in pro bass fishing (B.A.S.S.) beginning back in 2017. It will now allow 10 ft. rods after having an 8 ft. length limit for decades before. Guys like Kevin VanDam, the other power fishing guys, will be able to cover a whole lot of water, win a lot of tournaments where fishing deeper water and power techniques trump shallow fishing and finesse applications.

For general information on spinnerbait bass fishing, there are some great videos and articles by Rick Clunn, 4X Bass Masters Classic champion. He learned from a couple of guys that were considered the greatest ever spinnerbait anglers. He said one of them, in particular, used a spinnerbait year-round, under all circumstances. Pretty cool information to have.

Brad

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:31 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:
toddmc wrote:That's a nice simple build. That is the way that I have my custom sticks built. 6'5" is a little short for me though. I have a 6'9" medium extra-fast MHX High Modulus Spinnerbait blank build that usually gets the nod for 3/8oz. close quarters work. I've logged approximately 10,000 spinnerbait fish over the last three and half decades(I'm not bragging) on rods shorter than 6'9", but I can't go back. I've got a closet full of custom builds under 6'9" that are similar to this rod that haven't seen the light of day in many years.
Good points. Glad to see some attention paid to an almost lost art in the world of fishing.

I'd only add that rod length is very circumstantial. For close-in work, short casts, accuracy would be greatly increased by using a relatively short rod. From a kayak where we can float right up on a target area, this is ideal. The right spinnerbait works very well banging around against things, working top and bottom zones in the water, shallow stuff.

Fishing from a bank or a boat or just generally making long casts to cover water? A long rod designed to toss a particular weight spinnerbait would be ideal. What works for slinging a 3/8s won't likely be best for a larger lure.

With a long rod, one could line up a boat at the proper depth you think fish are to be found, say 5 feet of water off the shoreline, and make long casts down the bank to cover a ton of real estate at that depth.

Speaking of longer rods, note that the rules have changed in pro bass fishing (B.A.S.S.) beginning back in 2017. It will now allow 10 ft. rods after having an 8 ft. length limit for decades before. Guys like Kevin VanDam, the other power fishing guys, will be able to cover a whole lot of water, win a lot of tournaments where fishing deeper water and power techniques trump shallow fishing and finesse applications.

For general information on spinnerbait bass fishing, there are some great videos and articles by Rick Clunn, 4X Bass Masters Classic champion. He learned from a couple of guys that were considered the greatest ever spinnerbait anglers. He said one of them, in particular, used a spinnerbait year-round, under all circumstances. Pretty cool information to have.

Brad
My limited fishing video collection is mostly the old school spinnerbait videos that were available. The spinnerbait will always live on. I have some videos with Rick Clunn and KVD.
I have never stopped throwing spinnerbaits. They will always be a part of my arsenal because I have to rotate between several different skirted moving baits so that the fish don't get too used to what I am throwing, whether it is in my backyard golf course ponds, or on the biggest lakes. It takes constant changing of blades, skirts, and trailers to stay ahead of the fish.
This 6'5" rod would make a good kayak or tube rod as you say. My tube hasn't seen the light of day in a long time either. I caught a lot of spinnerbait fish as a kid by sneaking it into larger golf course lakes that I couldn't cast all the way across. :D