Long distance spool for sv103

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Long distance spool for sv103

Post by fishingkat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:35 am

Anyone done a comparison on the ZPI Pg vs the SLP g1 SV 1012 or 1016?

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:29 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
fishingkat wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Everyone got me so scared of the "sticking" caused by the old black ramp that I had my SV105 fixed before it ever even stuck, didn't even happen one time. They fixed it though so now it never will, was in warranty so worth it to me. Now I just need to locate the inductor and spring, I know a few places where to buy the better ramp.

That ITO spool's inductor looks legit, in my opinion Daiwa's have 20 brake settings for a reason. I never use anything higher than 10 it seems, if even that unless skipping.
The newer inductor ramp, and stiffer springs can be purchased through Tackle Trap. They can also order you the inductor through PLAT if you want.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 am

Tried out the sv103 stock spool with alphas sv inductor and hlc spring.
Certainly less choked than the stock inductor and slightly faster.

Might have to try the g1 slp sv after all.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 am

fishingkat wrote:Tried out the sv103 stock spool with alphas sv inductor and hlc spring.

I did some spool testing the other day in my steez sv tw. The zillion G1 1016 sv spool was a better overall spool vs the steez G1 1016 spool. In a nutshell it required 1-2 clicks less brake on the dial and needed less thumbing. This was with baits from 3/8-1/2. Just some food for thought. *winds were 10-15mph so I didn’t test with anything 1/8-1/4.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:
fishingkat wrote:Tried out the sv103 stock spool with alphas sv inductor and hlc spring.

I did some spool testing the other day in my steez sv tw. The zillion G1 1016 sv spool was a better overall spool vs the steez G1 1016 spool. In a nutshell it required 1-2 clicks less brake on the dial and needed less thumbing. This was with baits from 3/8-1/2. Just some food for thought. *winds were 10-15mph so I didn’t test with anything 1/8-1/4.
I'm not sure being able to click the brake dial closer to zero constitutes a better spool. Having more notches between preferred setting and zero leaves room for improvement from a skill standpoint..... haha......opportunity..... Lol

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:

Hey since you have both spools, do you think the g1 with the extra porting can be used for max drag type of heavy cover fishing or will it break?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:39 pm

fishingkat wrote:Anyone done a comparison on the ZPI Pg vs the SLP g1 SV 1012 or 1016?
I compared ZPI NRC M and stock Steez G1 1016 SV spool.

ZPI casts really great!
Brakes wise, with SV spool I could use it on 6-7 on MAG dial, with ZPI had to go up to 11-12 using same baits.
Line -14lb Sunline Sniper
ZPI obviously has less control, even on 20 I couldn't consistently skip without backlash, also it is better to stop the spool with your thumb as soon as the bait hits the water, otherwise it fluffs really easy.
Last edited by Cracker on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:

I'm not sure being able to click the brake dial closer to zero constitutes a better spool. Having more notches between preferred setting and zero leaves room for improvement from a skill standpoint..... haha......opportunity..... Lol
You do have a point haha. Overall it was more user friendly to me. On settings where the Steez spool would form a few loops at start up the zillion spool would not. Once the zillion spool was down low enough (3-4-5) to require some thumbing the Steez spool would require a lot more attention to keep it from fluffing up bad.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 pm

fishingkat wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:

Hey since you have both spools, do you think the g1 with the extra porting can be used for max drag type of heavy cover fishing or will it break?
I really don’t have an answer for that. The steez is still pretty new to me. I wouldn’t think so but I really don’t plan to use mine for that type of fishing.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:

You do have a point haha. Overall it was more user friendly to me. On settings where the Steez spool would form a few loops at start up the zillion spool would not. Once the zillion spool was down low enough (3-4-5) to require some thumbing the Steez spool would require a lot more attention to keep it from fluffing up bad.
Luckily I have those 2 spools. I think I got the formula for my modded RCS 1016 spool. It pitches super free and cast a far way.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:29 am

Cracker wrote:
fishingkat wrote:Anyone done a comparison on the ZPI Pg vs the SLP g1 SV 1012 or 1016?

ZPI casts really great!
Brakes wise, with SV spool I could use it on 6-7 on MAG dial, with ZPI had to go up to 11-12 using same baits.
ZPI obviously has less control, even on 20 I couldn't consistently skip without backlash, also it is better to stop the spool with your thump as soon the bait hits the water, otherwise it fluffs really easy.
Nice! Seems the consensus is that M spool is fast all around. Did you test them in a steez sv tw, or sv103? If sv103, how is the steez spool compared to stock sv103 spool?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 am

spookybaits wrote:
Cracker wrote:

ZPI casts really great!
ZPI obviously has less control, even on 20 I couldn't consistently skip without backlash, also it is better to stop the spool with your thump as soon the bait hits the water, otherwise it fluffs really easy.
Nice! Seems the consensus is that M spool is fast all around. Did you test them in a steez sv tw, or sv103?
I have used the Nrc001-M in a Steez TWS and a SV103 - it is fast in both reels. Very nice spool as long as you take your precautions with regard to spool tension knob and mag brakes... I recall that others have mentioned that it handles light lures well without calling it a BFS spool. I would call it BFS-able. I used a 2 gram (approx 1/15 oz) spoon yesterday with great distance on side casts and some difficulty with overhead casts because the spool is so fast. Dont know if that makes sense...

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:03 am

Rippin-lips wrote:
fishingkat wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:

I really don’t have an answer for that. The steez is still pretty new to me. I wouldn’t think so but I really don’t plan to use mine for that type of fishing.
Alright thanks. Probably need to aim for another non ported spools then.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:16 am

spookybaits wrote:
Cracker wrote:

ZPI casts really great!
Nice! Seems the consensus is that M spool is fast all around. Did you test them in a steez sv tw, or sv103? If sv103, how is the steez spool compared to stock sv103 spool?
I don't own the SV103, put the ZPI NRC into Steez SV TW. This weekend I'm planning to test it in Zillion SV TW with braid on it.