Have top water rods changed?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Have top water rods changed?

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:29 am

I'm home from work today sitting out a blizzard... yep, April 14! Wondered if the accepted norm for top water rods has changed from "shorter is better"? Long, long ago <6' was considered what you needed in a good top water rod, then 6', then it became 6 1/2'. Now with even lighter blanks and shorter handles have we gotten to an accepted 7' rod as normal? Who's popping and walking baits across the surface with 7' rods these days? :-k

oe

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Have top water rods changed?

Post by BigG » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 am

I was one who always liked shorter rods for topwater baits, especially Pop R's, since I cast to structure or grass edges. I decided to try my MB X7 Super Elseil which is 6' 11". It's the best Pop R rod I've ever used. It's changed my view on shorter rods. This year I'm going to try a 7' 6" rod for big walking baits on off shore schooling bass.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:29 am

I actually use a 7' medium power No. 8 Hellbent rod for topwater. Its light enough to use tip-up, but I fish even big walking baits with the tip down and to the side. I get a bait to walk better like that, always had trouble with the wind pulling my line (and bait) off-course.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I like using a 6'10" rod for most topwater applications. I fish walking baits tip down as well and this length works best for me. I could see using a 6'6" rod, but I think much shorter would sacrifice some casting distance, and much longer would certainly hit the surface I'm standing or the water.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Topwater is a make shift rare technique for me. I use a 6'6" Avid X for topwater though, either with 12-15 mono or 30lb braid with same mono leader (short 1ft leader to prevent tangles).

I also like using a 7'Medium, fast jig/worm style rod and have used a 7'Medium, moderate cranking rod also.

If I could create my own it would be a MH moderate fast 6'9", light enough for a small popper, but just stout enough to walk a 3/4oz spook style. Squarebill crankbait rods designed for cover can fit that void, especially ones with a nice blend of limber action; a TRUE moderate fast.

6'6"-6'9" is where most of my top water fishing stays.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:05 pm

It definitely has changed.
Never thought about it being due to lighter blanks but I guess thats valid. Although... I think people just use the longer rods for more distance. Also, rods are higher modulus than ever before, and in general higher modulus rods don't load up and cast as far as the lower modulus blanks.

*It's not just topwater rods though, all rods have gotten longer.

That said, I still use 1st gen All star topwater special rods. The walking bait sticks are 6'6, but the popper rods were always 7' (though there may have been shorter versions?).
It makes sense as the poppers are/were lighter (traditionally 1/8oz- 1/4oz) and less aerodynamic. And odds are you won't be making a million casts with em like you might with walking bait. I've thrown the pop-x's with my Dobyns 704cb and it definitely casts em great.

But for walking baits(and jerkbaits) I'll probably always use a 6'- 6'9 rod (ideally 6'6), reguardless of trends. When they're on a good schooling/topwater bite down here in the south, on a lake like hartwell, 12-14 hour days of 100's of machine-gun long range casts aren't out of the norm. A long rod will wear you out & set your elbow & wrist on fire.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:48 pm

I use a 7MH st.croix. I like bigger 1/2oz poppers and 5/8oz sammy's. I do tip down retrieves no prob. I like a little longer and stouter rod for hitting fish at the beginning of a retrieve after a long cast.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Depends on what kind of topwater bait being used...

I use a 6'3" ML for small poppers and walkers.
A 6'5" MH for 3/8 to 3/4 oz poppers and walkers
Normal wake baits...they get thrown on a 7' cranking rod
Big walkers or wake baits...1-1.5 oz...I like a MB 711 or White Python
Mag topwater I use a White Python or SRD. The SRD doesn't get used for walking baits, just wake baits.

So are they not necessarily short...I do believe that for small walkers you want a short handle and a short stick.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 pm

My favorite topwater rod is a G Loomis IMX 723C.
I still like the shorter rods

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:19 pm

Tokugawa wrote:Depends on what kind of topwater bait being used...

I use a 6'3" ML for small poppers and walkers.
A 6'5" MH for 3/8 to 3/4 oz poppers and walkers
Normal wake baits...they get thrown on a 7' cranking rod
Big walkers or wake baits...1-1.5 oz...I like a MB 711 or White Python
Mag topwater I use a White Python or SRD. The SRD doesn't get used for walking baits, just wake baits.

So are they not necessarily short...I do believe that for small walkers you want a short handle and a short stick.
I agree with this.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 am

I personally won’t buy a rod under 6’8”
That’s just me.

I try to have an all around rod that’s either 6’10 to seven feet but I have on occasion used my 6’8” rod
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:14 am

I think the reality is that most rods are useful for a variety of purposes. We just like segregating them into their respective wheel houses as an excuse to buy more rods.
This is the way.

24 furbits
Angler
Angler

Post by 24 furbits » Wed May 09, 2018 4:39 am

Popper, props still use 5 1/2' fiberglass fenwick with pistol grip - braided line - this is an amazing set up for accurate close range combat - for frogs and big walkers - 7' - 7 1/2' with braid but want some give in the system.