Curado K gears

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado K gears

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 pm

hokiehi wrote:Anyone know if the pinion gear from the curado K will fit into a chronarch MGL without doing a whole gear swap? Mine is getting that geary feeling that we all know and love so much
Interesting... They are definitely already brass. No aluminum there. Mine has actually maintained incredible smoothness. Actually something has been going around that made me look further into the engineering.

copycat site and a few other comments on youtube along with a few posts here have mentioned various carbon framed reels that end up feeling very smooth. I think after looking back over some basic mechanical engineering I realized that the flexibility of the frame (in a fishing reel's case) prevents the gears from pressing quite as hard. The little bit of room allows a slightly off tolerance to sort of soak up throughout the entire mechanical system. I know in mechanical systems the weakest point always shows, like a bad transmission in a car. Reason I mentioned all this though is because with that frame being slightly less rigid than aluminum it will definitely feel different, maybe that is the geary feel, micro's + the composite frame...

Might just have to order new gears from Shimano, sorry yours is acting up.

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
hokiehi wrote:Anyone know if the pinion gear from the curado K will fit into a chronarch MGL without doing a whole gear swap? Mine is getting that geary feeling that we all know and love so much
I might be wrong but I believe the chronarch MGL has brass gears all ready...

The big drive gear is brass, but the smaller pinion gear looks like an aluminum alloy in the picture posted in the review. I could be wrong, though

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:03 pm

hokiehi wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
I might be wrong but I believe the chronarch MGL has brass gears all ready...

The big drive gear is brass, but the smaller pinion gear looks like an aluminum alloy in the picture posted in the review. I could be wrong, though
Its also brass.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:47 pm

update-

I've used my Metanium 13 with Curado K gears around 6-7 times, it probably my smoothest reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:47 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:update-

I've used my Metanium 13 with Curado K gears around 6-7 times, it probably my smoothest reel.
Anymore updates on how the Metanium/Curado gear swaps have been going? Been facebook yardsaling hard to get some fishing bucks, considering a JDM Metanium or just a US one from TTTrap. Know how different the spools are? Really prefer the shallow if more than moderate weight difference.

HIfisher
Angler
Angler

Post by HIfisher » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:52 pm

I own 3 metaniums and all of them are XGs. 2 are 13s and one is the 16 mgl. The 16 Mgl's gears went out quicker then the other 2 metaniums because of saltwater use for Suzuki seabass in Japan. 5- 30+ fish days with fish averaging 3-4lbs and long hard pulls on tight drags from those fish is probably what did it. Recently I've switched the gear set with a curado k set from thetackletrap and it has solved that geary feeling and overall made my reel feel like new again. Bought one set to test out and after wards I was looking for more but they were all ready sold out! Tackletrap needs to get more in their stock! Such a great hookup for a badass reel

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 pm

For anyone interested I weighed the aluminum gear and pinion from the metanium MGL, and the brass gear and pinion upgraded gears before completing my upgrade. It added some weight, but it's worth it. I also added zpi bearings and a bearing on the worm. This reel was already smooth, but a noticeable improvement after the upgrades.
IMG_4187.JPG
IMG_4187.JPG (76.4 KiB) Viewed 8940 times
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG (83.43 KiB) Viewed 8940 times
IMG_4190.JPG
IMG_4190.JPG (87.03 KiB) Viewed 8940 times

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 pm

I swapped the gears in a met dc the other day................
What a difference brass makes....I'm a bit late to hating alu in shimano reels....but man...it's like a bantam or antares now.

WHich is funny that daiwa steez alu gears are antares level....yet micro module is meh.....
Best 50$ i ever spend on an upgrade lol

Needed a new gear set anyway...and was gonna sell it once swapped...Nope...gonna hold on to it for the spring. I think.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:16 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:I swapped the gears in a met dc the other day................
What a difference brass makes....I'm a bit late to hating alu in shimano reels....but man...it's like a bantam or antares now.

WHich is funny that daiwa steez alu gears are antares level....yet micro module is meh.....
Best 50$ i ever spend on an upgrade lol

Needed a new gear set anyway...and was gonna sell it once swapped...Nope...gonna hold on to it for the spring. I think.
For me, who suffered with a buzzing 13 Met for some time, this is the upgrade of the year. Turned the reel into a Conquest in terms of smoothness.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Strewth wrote:
For me, who suffered with a buzzing 13 Met for some time, this is the upgrade of the year. Turned the reel into a Conquest in terms of smoothness.
Agreed

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:25 am

Just ordered another set for my MGL from TTT.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Got my Gears from the TTT, excellent service like always.

My MGL was pretty smooth to begin with but I did feel a bit of vibration from the gears at times, after adding these gears its
super smooth...

hidz
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by hidz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 pm

hi all, i'm new in this forum
I have plan for changing my 15 Metanium DC XGLH 8.5:1 main gear from Aluminium to Brass. Can someone help me to choice the parts from Curado K or is this choice is right because in the link bellow only written for Metanium MGL/13 Met, or the parts (main gear & pinion gear) of 13 Meta and 15 Meta are same ? sorry for bad english :)

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... 9c0ce59ed1

thanks
Hidz
learn and learn

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:53 am

Seems interesting that Curado gears in a Met make it significantly smoother than a Curado.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:01 am

Cranky wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:53 am
Seems interesting that Curado gears in a Met make it significantly smoother than a Curado.
The Met, being an upper tier product, has more bearings and likely tighter tolerances. So with equal gears, it SHOULD be smoother.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.