Blank comparison

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Blank comparison

Post by timinmo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:17 pm

After reading the review on the Kistler rod made on the new Northfork Composites blank I am really wondering. I build most of my own rods but if I come across a good deal on a factory rod I will buy it. Here is the deal, while I have built quite a few NFC rods I have never built on a Point Blank or a Phoenix K-2, or the new X-ray NFC. What has been circling around in my small little brain is to buy all three blanks in similar lengths and powers. Built them pretty much the same and see what I like. I like the NFC rods that I have built but have not used the new X-ray blank. When they first introduced it, I got an email to buy one at half price, as I'm sure many of you did also. I did not buy as I had two HM blanks waiting to get built, I wish I had taken advantage of the offer now. Buying the three blanks would be a major outlay and there are probably thirty or forty rods in the garage now. I don't ever count them so I have deniability if asked. I would love for someone to tell me don't bother because one is just head and shoulders over the others. What I am not looking for is brand loyalty that makes you claim one is better than the others just cause that is what you have always used. Any opinions? Others that should be included?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Blank comparison

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:49 pm

Well 1st off, I'm sure very few people have the new x ray blanks built up already. Then of course, it's all very subjective, and you will indeed get different responses from different persons as to their preference. For what it's worth, I find Point Blank quite better than NFC HM, and most everyone I've spoken with who has used both is in agreement. They are simply one of a kind special. Are they as sensitive as K2s? Pretty darn close imo, but where they separate is in the reserve power while still remaining plenty light. The power / weight ratio has to be off the charts. They have such a smooth taper with plenty of tip speed. The way they resonate is something you simply have to experience for yourself. K2s are just lovely, but they're not worth the extra 70 or so bucks over PB imo. They still beat out the NFC HM though. So I had to ask myself, how much better can these x ray blanks be? As tempting as it is, I'm so incredibly happy with PB, I just don't want to take the gamble. Short-time monkey off my back anyways. I know he'll be busy. He always comes back. If these blanks go on sale for 50% off a few times a year like the others - yeah, probably. Definitely going to wait for others I trust to use and judge 1st

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:05 am

timinmo wrote: What has been circling around in my small little brain is to buy all three blanks in similar lengths and powers. Built them pretty much the same and see what I like.
This is what I do. I have a go-to power/presentation that I spend a significant amount of time fishing and when a new blank comes out I get one in that power class. I know the technique well. Granted, that's much harder when you have to go out and buy a bunch of blanks. But, once you've done that, its just a new blank every few years. It will tell you a lot really.

timinmo wrote: I would love for someone to tell me don't bother because one is just head and shoulders over the others.
Can't do that. And anyone who says that they can is BS'ing you. The best blank for the job is the best blank for the job. The blank that has the specs and the action you seek is the best blank. The manufacturers label is irrelevant. They all have pluses and minuses. Get the most pluses on your side and ignore the label the entire time while making your selection.

timinmo wrote: Any opinions? Others that should be included?
NFC, St. Croix, Phenix, and Point Blank (in no particular order) are the high end blanks out there. Again, they all have advantages and disadvantages.

For instance, Point Blank; they're a one trick pony. If you dig that style and taper of blank and do nothing but power bass fish, you'll probably like their blanks. If finesse is truly something you do, or you fish for any other species of fish, you might not be pleased at all with what they have to offer. While on the other hand North Fork has truly unique tapers for different presentations and species of fish which make it easier to find "the best" blank for what you're trying to do. That's just one example of an advantage/disadvantage scenario that you need to weigh out when looking for the best blank.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:21 am

I appreciate the replies. As some one who only builds a couple rods a year, usually, is it hard to get a direct comparison. The funny thing is after I posted originally I went out and did some running around. Later in the day when I checked emails there was one from NFC offering discounted blanks. The plot thickens.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:17 pm

Oddly enough, I find PB lighter power blanks make absolutely perfect power finesse blanks. The 69mlxf and 701lxf are the next step up from my K2 683ml, which is my lightest power blank. And while they have over 350 grams of power, they have no problem loading up on a 1/8 oz wacky head with finesse worm. Then when I hook up with a fat 4-5 lb smallie, I feel very confident because of it, and the taper throughout the blank keeps them pinned. They do everything exactly as I prefer and want. Obviously me stating they are the best of the bunch is subjective and entirely of my opinion. Like Matt said, the right blank for the task at hand is just the right blank, regardless of who makes it or what the label indicates (I usually leave those off anyway). I'm just stoked I found something that works so well for me. That being said, they need to add more options. It's overdue

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:00 am

Hogsticker2 wrote: Oddly enough, I find PB lighter power blanks make absolutely perfect power finesse blanks.
I would say that our definition of finesse really varies then. There is nothing like a St. Croix MLF, or lighter, in the Point Blank offering. There is nothing like an HS9000. A P8400. There isn't even a crankbait stick. True finesse doesn't exist at Point Blank. (and I own and fish the 661LF - the lightest power blank in the offering) A trout or panfish blank doesn't exist at Point Blank. A good walleye blank doesn't exist at Point Blank. Don't get me wrong, I love Point Blank. They just have a very narrow window.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Mattman wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: Oddly enough, I find PB lighter power blanks make absolutely perfect power finesse blanks.
I would say that our definition of finesse really varies then. There is nothing like a St. Croix MLF, or lighter, in the Point Blank offering. There is nothing like an HS9000. A P8400. There isn't even a crankbait stick. True finesse doesn't exist at Point Blank. (and I own and fish the 661LF - the lightest power blank in the offering) A trout or panfish blank doesn't exist at Point Blank. A good walleye blank doesn't exist at Point Blank. Don't get me wrong, I love Point Blank. They just have a very narrow window.
That's why I said "power finesse" :big grin:
I don't venture into true "finesse" waters

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:54 pm

At this point I really have the finesse end covered. I am thinking more along the lines of a seven to seven six medium heavy. Something up to about one oz. That is one of the reasons that the Point Blank blanks come into consideration. As I stated at the beginning I have never built on those blanks and I am very curious about the new X-ray blanks especially after reading the TT review of new Kistler. I have always heard good things about the Phenix so I added that to the equation. I have several St. Croixs and love them, I just think that there is no one best. Beside all that as a rod builder, and I think most rod builders, I am always looking for new and exciting to build.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:45 am

New MHX Elite X is promising. Just got it yesterday. Havent built it yet, but it's 575g power and 11g lighter than new NFC MB 736-1 X-Ray. Also finish is very cool looking. And its 110$ cheaper than NFC.
Here:

I have now Rainshadow Eternity ETEC76MF, HM-MB904-MHX, NFC MB 736-1 (X-Ray LMX), NMB873-MHX and St. Croix 5C70MF-G.
Still missing K2 Phenix, CTS Mag Spin Elite and Point Blank PB75MF
Then i'm satisfied! 8-)

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:57 am

I am eager to hear your reviews.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:57 am

Wow, under 2 oz for a 73 painted blank is pretty impressive for the MHX.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:08 am

timinmo wrote:I am eager to hear your reviews.
Talking to me!?! :)

I use mostly 95% plastics with all these rods. Zander, northern pike and perch with 8-30g jigs. Rarely some spinners and very rarely topwater or crankbaits. We dont have bass here in Finland.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:36 pm

MardukFIN wrote:New MHX Elite X is promising. Just got it yesterday. Havent built it yet, but it's 575g power and 11g lighter than new NFC MB 736-1 X-Ray. Also finish is very cool looking. And its 110$ cheaper than NFC.
Here:

I have now Rainshadow Eternity ETEC76MF, HM-MB904-MHX, NFC MB 736-1 (X-Ray LMX), NMB873-MHX and St. Croix 5C70MF-G.
Still missing K2 Phenix, CTS Mag Spin Elite and Point Blank PB75MF
Then i'm satisfied! 8-)
I am considering the new MHX Elite blanks for a new Texas Rig rod. Looking for a true Medium Heavy, as I got burned by rod ratings with my Phenix K2 714. The 714 is MAYBE a medium. It's a great rod but, it's now a finesse rod. I have a Conquest 843c I'm using now but, would like to do a custom.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:34 am

I've built just one K2, TX-763ML-C 7'6" 1 4-12 lb. 1/16 - 1/2 oz. F
It has 398g power.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:49 am

MardukFIN wrote:I've built just one K2, TX-763ML-C 7'6" 1 4-12 lb. 1/16 - 1/2 oz. F
It has 398g power.
If I could get a do-over, I would have picked up a K2 blank on the lighter side and built a BFS rod instead of the SCV I built on. It's a really nice blank but, my K2 I have now is insanely sensitive and the blank is pretty balanced.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing