Dedicated swimjig rod.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Roadworkahead
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Dedicated swimjig rod.

Post by Roadworkahead » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Looking for advise for a dedicated swimjig rod. Living in the northwest, the average fish are running a little smaller. lite to moderate cover with some pond fishing in heavy cover. Depth 8-15' with the occasional 20-30'. Lite wire jigs with some heavy wire use. I would like to cover 1/4 - 3/4 oz with trailer( up to 4' Keitech), 1 rod but probably not likely. I do have a XP 765 flip. Some say it could cover it but planed on using it for paddle tail and soft swim bait rod. I also have a 2016 GLX MBR 843 and a 844 that could cover weight range but would prefer 1 rod and wanted to use these for spinner, chatter and buzzbaits 1/4 to 3/4. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dedicated swimjig rod.

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 pm

CQ843C for lighter baits. i use a CQ844 for my prefered 3/8-3/4oz swimjigs.

Roadworkahead
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Roadworkahead » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation in a megabass? 2018 Orochi XX or Destroyer USA? Maybe just use the Glx 844 MBR and replace that rod with something else? Thanks

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:49 pm

I think the GLX MBR 844 fits the bill perfectly. In fact mine gets used for the same exact baits plus normal bottom jigs. Take something 1/4 to 1/2 oz and a trailer to it and the rod feels nicely at home.

Can't speak to the newest MB lines but the prior gen MB Orichi XX EMTF was another good all purpose rod. Handled baits similar to the GLX. The biggest different to me was the length. Both rods are very versatile.

I am sure there would be a rod from the newly designed XX series or the Destroyer series that would fit the bill nicely but I will leave that for someone else.

Roadworkahead
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Roadworkahead » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Fishing4Fun. Thanks for your input.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:39 pm

The Dobyns Champion 734 makes an awesome swimjig rod. It has a soft enough tip to be a sweet paddle tail rod, but is versatile enough for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and jigs.
https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... rk-review/
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 am

this year i have thrown a lot on the glx 844 which is a great rod. The orochi xx 2018 model diablo spec r is also a great swim jig rod with a good tip for skipping as well if your in that situation. a step up is the 2017 U.S destroyer dameos which is great as well. If you are in sparse cover the javelin makes a great one as well if you prefer a more moderate action, i like using it on the finesse swim jigs with a light wire hook. Also the new 2019 kistler z bones make a great one as well in the med hvy power. I feel you really cant go wrong though with any i would just choose upon cover and weight of swim jig and the mbr 844 does them all fairly well for an all purpose stick.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Roadworkahead wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation in a megabass? 2018 Orochi XX or Destroyer USA? Maybe just use the Glx 844 MBR and replace that rod with something else? Thanks
I can (and often do) throw a swimjig all day and I have a a couple 1st gen XX Diablo Spec-Rs paired with a Steez SV TW and one, if not both, always has a swimjig tied onto it. I throw 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 oz swimjigs plus trailer. As mentioned earlier, it's a really good rod for skipping but I'm 6'2" and it might be a little long for someone not as tall. I'll probably get a 2nd gen DS-R to see what, if any, difference there is for me.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:39 pm

I'll throw my hat in for the Daemos. So far I have liked it to throw 5in spark shad weightless on a 7/0 trokar screw lock. Throwing it on 15lb Seaguar Red Label FC on my GaxRed and PG spool. If it is much fun to fish that way to me it should be lots of fun to fish with jig heads of various types with trailers etc :big grin: I cannot attest to the fish fighting Power as of yet as it is a recent procurement but it's a stout rod in my opinion for its rating so it should handle all sorts of bottom contact Duty I would imagine depending on your tastes of course. I would also venture to say as advertised with anything single hook moving bait or treble hook would be at right at home again depending on your style. The X7 EM has way more tip that say the Daemos to me, In my opinion the X7 EM would keep a fished buttoned and is more suited for trebles relative to ones tastes but I love it as a t rig rod as well. With the Daemos the power curve is quicker to the backbone of course this is in my hands and IMHO. I had some state to me that the Daemos was a bit under powered? Maybe I misunderstood :-k but she is a great American action/taperes rod. I tend to be more used to the medium fast to moderate /regular tapers of MB. Even with their rods that are fast overall to me have more tip action in that you have the ability to really keep a fish pinned. I also attribute that to the varible tapers/actions on some of their series :-k The Daemos to me seems a lot more powerful for its stated class if that makes any sense to you folks. I enjoy throwing a 1 oz Square bill on the daemos as well and i feel it is very suited for that treble application. For my 1oz class topwaters and other type of moving baits say Rogue Top 20s I will keep to my X7 EM as the tip is way sweeter to me. So in a nutshell I think the daemos is a powerful Nimble rod for its stated class definitely more suited to lighter bottom contact single hooked moving baits, blade type presentations etc. Good luck on your decision =D>

Roadworkahead
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Roadworkahead » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks Fishing4Fun and everyone else for your suggestions. I have deceided to give the GLX 844 MBR a go before I search for something else. I will be doing research on the diablo spec r. Could be my next purchase. Thanks

Roadworkahead
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Roadworkahead » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Cristo. That is 1 rod I would love to have and been looking for a reason to buy. I have the FMJ and they are beautiful rods. I just purchased a GLX MBR 843 and 844. If not for that I would buy one. Thanks for your recommendation. I will have one in the near future.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:09 pm

I use the Diablo Spec R for swim jigs. 1/4 -3/8.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:27 pm

So we do here that's why this place is so fun enjoy your purchases whatever the case may be that's what I always say 8-[

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Conquest 903 is my dedicated swim jig rod and I throw a 3/8 swim jig everytime I’m on the water.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 am

CQ 904, I have heard it is good for spinner.

WW