Megabass Valkyrie Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Valkyrie Rods

Post by Cristo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Another info link. Not sure what to make of the handle configuration, veddy veddy interesting to say the least. Actions look sick as fugu! looks like some cool technologies :-k

https://www.megabass.co.jp/site/informa ... e_sp-page/

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:27 am

Any new updates on this series? Interested in the 72H as a chatterbait rod, looks like it's a similar style to the 736 CB-Glass and other Heavy/Fast glass rods used for bladed jigs.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:35 pm

https://www.megabass.co.jp/site/freshwater/valkyrie/

Here is the MB page which gives a synopsis of each. That 7'2H is a beast at 216 grams, especially considering the 7'1 H only weighs 183 grams, and the 6'11MH wieghs 197grams, and the 7'1MH weighs 174 grams. My brain is scrambled.

Very sweet looking rod though, utilizing the Yoloy from the X7, the KABT from the new Orochi, thier new Shieldz... "Fiber layer of thin film which toughened high elongation micro glass fiber 40% and ultra light carbon graphite fiber 60% hybridized was twill weaver finished"
Note the only reference to 60/40 is on the thin layer of Shieldz. I think there is reason to believe these might not be a 40% glass rod.
Note the tag. I don't read Japanese but it looks like it is referencing 97% Carbon, 3% Glass
https://www.7palmsweb.com/images2/4513473454585/5.JPG

and that rod butt..juicy
https://www.backlash.co.jp/images/item/ ... 92-sp3.jpg

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:08 am

That butt cap is lit. It reminds me of the skull, saber and musket on the Megabass Professional Bait Japanese #1 Psychic Force patch I have but more defined. I may have to pick one of these up if TTT desides to offer them.
Attachments
s-l400-2.jpg
s-l400-2.jpg (19.94 KiB) Viewed 7214 times

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:31 am

I have a few on order for the shop. I'm going to fish with one of them pretty soon and will get to check them out. I need to get an order link up on the site. Lowrange, you can PM me for details on ordering if you like.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Interesting, thanks for all the replies.

I thought it was a little odd with all the rods being glass/composite since there were spinning rods and other models that wouldn't typically be glass. Definitely interested in more information once it's known.

I follow a Japanese MB pro staffer on IG and he is always posting chatterbait fish with that 72H, was the big reason behind my question. I like the glass rods for chatterbaits and have used a few of the current popular models like the 736, but it'd be cool to have a MB option for that.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 am

Another interesting note on these rods. They are repurposing the MB Honeycomb spool in the headlock. The only other MB rods I have seen this on before are the uber expensive ITO Special rods. (might be others I don't know about)
Honeycomb Headlock.jpg
Honeycomb Headlock.jpg (4.77 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
Valk Honey.jpg
Valk Honey.jpg (142.69 KiB) Viewed 7147 times

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:09 pm

No way =P~

Sorry had to do it =P~

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Cristo wrote:No way =P~

Sorry had to do it =P~
\:D/
Unfortunatly, I have nothing better to do

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Cristo wrote:No way =P~

Sorry had to do it =P~
\:D/
Unfortunatly, I have nothing better to do
No worries man; the little details, odds and ends on these rods are sweet. I love the aluminum look. Got my monkey going not long after this thread started. I’m in for the 71H. Anticipating fondly.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm unterested for sure but thankfully the monkey's been somewhat tame lately 8-[

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:57 pm

The hookup tackle now has these in stock. For the price, I'm probably gonna pass

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Hello, has anyone spent some time on the water with any of the Valkyries? Was interested in the 7-2 Hvy. Thanks

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:Hello, has anyone spent some time on the water with any of the Valkyries? Was interested in the 7-2 Hvy. Thanks
I got the 71H last week and have taken it out for a bit almost every day since. Have not hooked into anything big enough to really test it yet and my experience with it is limited. On one occasion I took it out with the cqt 904 and fished the valkerie most of the morning. As soon as I put it down I accidentally hooked into a baby gator with with the cqt on a bottom bouncing bait, which would have been the perfect test, but oh well. It balances fairly well with a zillion variant. I’ve frogged with it on top of half dead slop and it performed really well. I’ve thrown 1 to 1 and 3/8 oz baits with no issue. You could probably throw a Volkswagen with it. It’s plendy sensitive with bottom bouncing jig style baits and underspins with plastic trailers. I can’t feel a difference between it and new destroyer, but not quite the same thump I feel on cnq, ultima, or EG. It feels and acts like a carbon blank. I can’t figure out what the glass is doing. It has that “shieldz” visible about a third way up the blank and then the blank looks just like a the new destroyers-unsanded, groved appearance. It’s a heavy rod. So, know what your getting into with these—intended big bait; “monster hunting” applications. I get around monsters every now and then, but it’s just as easy to catch dinks with it. Casts well and has enough tip even though there is a stiff backbone. I’ve loved it frogging and throwing owner underspins. I was thinking about the 72H, but decided on the 71H because I’ve never had a spiral wrapped rod and wanted to check that out and I think it was something like 50 g lighter than the 72. The 71 is billed as a MF, and I’d say it seems just a hair on the faster side of that spectrum, which suits me well. Don’t know if that means the 72F will be more of an extra fast? As far as looks go, this in my opinion is the most megabass looking new MB rod since the x7s, although of course it could not be more different. It just looks the part and in a somewhat understated way from a distance. You have to get your nose close to it to see the bling and detail on the lock but, etc., which I like. Very comfortable handle with ECS and generously sized Eva split grip. I am not using the adjustable handle. I just set it at max length and there it will sit. But, the mechanism is robust and so far has stayed put if anyone should find that sort of thing useful. Between the spiral wrap and the skull on the but end, I feel like a cross between a samurai and chuck Norris when fishing it, and maybe that’s why I needed to add it to my current arsenal. It’s the second recent MB rod I’ve bought with a premium price and a big fat made in china sticker on it. Don’t get me wrong; I’m glad to have it, but wonder if they could bring the price down a bit since they seem to have gone more and more to larger scale factory manufacturing processes; I guess I’m speculating.

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:21 pm

I got the 7’2” heavy yesterday and had a chance to fish it today. It’s a beast I have it paired up with a ryoga 1016 and threw a 1/2 oz chatter with a 5” paddle tail with it first and it is great for it,later fishing a 3/4 oz chatter with same paddle tail in 20+ ft of water I was really impressed with the surprising sensitivity and power of the rod. It’s no nrx or x7 in terms of sensitivity but it would certainly be able to fish a football jig in deep water.