Point Blank PB731MHXF

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Point Blank PB731MHXF

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:10 pm

sarcazmo wrote:This is disappointing to read. I recently built a 701MHF and it's OUTSTANDING.
Yup, pretty much

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:29 pm

I’m going to wait until this is settled before I judge one way or the other. So far communication has been good.

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Hopefully I was their only bad experience and they have it all worked out now and no one else will have to go through what I did. I have no hard feelings but they won’t have another chance to earn my business!

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:42 am

The POINT Blank guy is here 5bites and I hope we have resolved your issue after your calls. I re-measured 3 of the PB731MHXF blanks on Monday and they are very close to what we have published on the http://www.pointblankrods.com website. I will admit that they tend to have more power than we have published (around 640g RDA) and I will make the change on the site right away. From your info it does appear that you received the wrong blank. The PB731MHXF's I measured were 2.14g in weight with a 1.8mm tip (at 1.8mm we are forced to default to a size 5 top to be safe on tolerances). The blank shows a 75-degree action angle.

We would certainly like to opportunity to get you the blank you want. Please keep in touch with us directly until we resolve this to your satisfaction.

Note: For current information on POINT Blank please refer to the website rather than some of the originally published material.
Angler's Resource

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:02 am

No complaints at all about the communication from Point Blank. Aaron has been plenty hospitable. The new blank should be here in a few days. I look forward to getting it and fishing it especially if it’s anywhere as crisp feeling as the one I received last week.

I’ll report back when I get my hands on it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:42 am

Phenix also had an issue with mislabeled blanks according to a thread a while a back. I would think that the manufacturers would have this problem figured out. I understand that most builders don't want permanent markings on a blank, but there should be something permanent that goes on the blank for identification to keep mixups from happening. I sure hope that the quality control of the blanks isn't causing an issue.
As far as Point Blanks lure rating go, they are bizarre to say the least. They aren't close to other manufacturer's lure ratings for similar RDA's. I do love their blanks though. Use their RDA's, rather their lure ratings, and you should be fine.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 pm

toddmc wrote:Phenix also had an issue with mislabeled blanks according to a thread a while a back. I would think that the manufacturers would have this problem figured out. I understand that most builders don't want permanent markings on a blank, but there should be something permanent that goes on the blank for identification to keep mixups from happening. I sure hope that the quality control of the blanks isn't causing an issue.
As far as Point Blanks lure rating go, they are bizarre to say the least. They aren't close to other manufacturer's lure ratings for similar RDA's. I do love their blanks though. Use their RDA's, rather their lure ratings, and you should be fine.
My point blank had a white sticker with the rod specs on the bottom, probably for identification purposes.

My newer K2's were shipped with the label already finished on the bottom. Makes no sense to me why they would do that. They didn't ship with extra labels either. So now I have 2 K2's without labels on them.. The first few K2's I ordered had labels in a separate bag.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:25 pm

ogrich31 wrote:
toddmc wrote:Phenix also had an issue with mislabeled blanks according to a thread a while a back. I would think that the manufacturers would have this problem figured out. I understand that most builders don't want permanent markings on a blank, but there should be something permanent that goes on the blank for identification to keep mixups from happening. I sure hope that the quality control of the blanks isn't causing an issue.
My point blank had a white sticker with the rod specs on the bottom, probably for identification purposes.

My newer K2's were shipped with the label already finished on the bottom. Makes no sense to me why they would do that. They didn't ship with extra labels either. So now I have 2 K2's without labels on them.. The first few K2's I ordered had labels in a separate bag.
I know that it will add to the cost, but a laser engraved or printed label on the bottom of the blank, and a separate label to put where you choose, should be the industry standard. Stickers on the bottom fall off. It's painful just to read about the mix-ups. My builder had ordered the wrong blank for me recently. Fortunately, he sends me a digital copy of every part order, and I caught it before it shipped.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Today I received my replacement blank. It is the correct blank. I can’t wait to get it built! I’ve decided to build the one that was labeled wrong too. Both of them feel phenomenal and sensitive. The actions are perfect. Now if they’ll get a 7’-7’1” heavy extra fast we will really be in business. Overall I’m more than pleased with how Anglers Resource handled it. If anything I’m glad it happened because now I have a good idea on how their customer service is. Based on my experience I will be recommending Point Blank.

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Nice to hear they got their act together

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:43 pm

5bites wrote:Today I received my replacement blank. It is the correct blank. I can’t wait to get it built! I’ve decided to build the one that was labeled wrong too. Both of them feel phenomenal and sensitive. The actions are perfect. Now if they’ll get a 7’-7’1” heavy extra fast we will really be in business. Overall I’m more than pleased with how Anglers Resource handled it. If anything I’m glad it happened because now I have a good idea on how their customer service is. Based on my experience I will be recommending Point Blank.
Nice. Phenomenal is a good word to describe these blanks imo. Hurry up and get em built already!

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Man I wish they already were! I finished up another rod this evening so now I can get these Point Blanks started. I’ll admit speed isn’t my game on building. Some of you guys can flat spin one out but I’m slooow.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:54 am

Pleased you're pleased 5bites. Strongly recommend the KR Concept for POINT Blank to truly maximize all the weight/sensitivity features packed into these blanks. Let me know if we can help.
Angler's Resource

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 am

Angler JO wrote:Pleased you're pleased 5bites. Strongly recommend the KR Concept for POINT Blank to truly maximize all the weight/sensitivity features packed into these blanks. Let me know if we can help.
The four Point Blank rods that I have are all built with KR Concept guides. I have my builder static load the blank to get the placement right. This is truly a great combo. Point Blank rods load up smoother that any other blank on the market.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 pm

toddmc wrote:
Angler JO wrote:Pleased you're pleased 5bites. Strongly recommend the KR Concept for POINT Blank to truly maximize all the weight/sensitivity features packed into these blanks. Let me know if we can help.
The four Point Blank rods that I have are all built with KR Concept guides. I have my builder static load the blank to get the placement right. This is truly a great combo. Point Blank rods load up smoother that any other blank on the market.
True story!