Megabass Valkyrie Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Valkyrie Rods

Post by Cristo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Oh excellent news for my pocketbook :big grin:

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:14 pm

capesmallie wrote:I got the 7’2” heavy yesterday and had a chance to fish it today. It’s a beast I have it paired up with a ryoga 1016 and threw a 1/2 oz chatter with a 5” paddle tail with it first and it is great for it,later fishing a 3/4 oz chatter with same paddle tail in 20+ ft of water I was really impressed with the surprising sensitivity and power of the rod. It’s no nrx or x7 in terms of sensitivity but it would certainly be able to fish a football jig in deep water.
Thank you very much for your reply. Yours and the comment prior to yours were very valuable in helping make my decision. I already have a "Beast" rod so I'm not looking for another. Thanks

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:Hello, has anyone spent some time on the water with any of the Valkyries? Was interested in the 7-2 Hvy. Thanks
I got the 71H last week and have taken it out for a bit almost every day since. Have not hooked into anything big enough to really test it yet and my experience with it is limited. On one occasion I took it out with the cqt 904 and fished the valkerie most of the morning. As soon as I put it down I accidentally hooked into a baby gator with with the cqt on a bottom bouncing bait, which would have been the perfect test, but oh well. It balances fairly well with a zillion variant. I’ve frogged with it on top of half dead slop and it performed really well. I’ve thrown 1 to 1 and 3/8 oz baits with no issue. You could probably throw a Volkswagen with it. It’s plendy sensitive with bottom bouncing jig style baits and underspins with plastic trailers. I can’t feel a difference between it and new destroyer, but not quite the same thump I feel on cnq, ultima, or EG. It feels and acts like a carbon blank. I can’t figure out what the glass is doing. It has that “shieldz” visible about a third way up the blank and then the blank looks just like a the new destroyers-unsanded, groved appearance. It’s a heavy rod. So, know what your getting into with these—intended big bait; “monster hunting” applications. I get around monsters every now and then, but it’s just as easy to catch dinks with it. Casts well and has enough tip even though there is a stiff backbone. I’ve loved it frogging and throwing owner underspins. I was thinking about the 72H, but decided on the 71H because I’ve never had a spiral wrapped rod and wanted to check that out and I think it was something like 50 g lighter than the 72. The 71 is billed as a MF, and I’d say it seems just a hair on the faster side of that spectrum, which suits me well. Don’t know if that means the 72F will be more of an extra fast? As far as looks go, this in my opinion is the most megabass looking new MB rod since the x7s, although of course it could not be more different. It just looks the part and in a somewhat understated way from a distance. You have to get your nose close to it to see the bling and detail on the lock but, etc., which I like. Very comfortable handle with ECS and generously sized Eva split grip. I am not using the adjustable handle. I just set it at max length and there it will sit. But, the mechanism is robust and so far has stayed put if anyone should find that sort of thing useful. Between the spiral wrap and the skull on the but end, I feel like a cross between a samurai and chuck Norris when fishing it, and maybe that’s why I needed to add it to my current arsenal. It’s the second recent MB rod I’ve bought with a premium price and a big fat made in china sticker on it. Don’t get me wrong; I’m glad to have it, but wonder if they could bring the price down a bit since they seem to have gone more and more to larger scale factory manufacturing processes; I guess I’m speculating.
Thank you very much for your detailed assessment. I really, really appreciate it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:Hello, has anyone spent some time on the water with any of the Valkyries? Was interested in the 7-2 Hvy. Thanks
I got the 71H last week and have taken it out for a bit almost every day since. Have not hooked into anything big enough to really test it yet and my experience with it is limited. On one occasion I took it out with the cqt 904 and fished the valkerie most of the morning. As soon as I put it down I accidentally hooked into a baby gator with with the cqt on a bottom bouncing bait, which would have been the perfect test, but oh well. It balances fairly well with a zillion variant. I’ve frogged with it on top of half dead slop and it performed really well. I’ve thrown 1 to 1 and 3/8 oz baits with no issue. You could probably throw a Volkswagen with it. It’s plendy sensitive with bottom bouncing jig style baits and underspins with plastic trailers. I can’t feel a difference between it and new destroyer, but not quite the same thump I feel on cnq, ultima, or EG. It feels and acts like a carbon blank. I can’t figure out what the glass is doing. It has that “shieldz” visible about a third way up the blank and then the blank looks just like a the new destroyers-unsanded, groved appearance. It’s a heavy rod. So, know what your getting into with these—intended big bait; “monster hunting” applications. I get around monsters every now and then, but it’s just as easy to catch dinks with it. Casts well and has enough tip even though there is a stiff backbone. I’ve loved it frogging and throwing owner underspins. I was thinking about the 72H, but decided on the 71H because I’ve never had a spiral wrapped rod and wanted to check that out and I think it was something like 50 g lighter than the 72. The 71 is billed as a MF, and I’d say it seems just a hair on the faster side of that spectrum, which suits me well. Don’t know if that means the 72F will be more of an extra fast? As far as looks go, this in my opinion is the most megabass looking new MB rod since the x7s, although of course it could not be more different. It just looks the part and in a somewhat understated way from a distance. You have to get your nose close to it to see the bling and detail on the lock but, etc., which I like. Very comfortable handle with ECS and generously sized Eva split grip. I am not using the adjustable handle. I just set it at max length and there it will sit. But, the mechanism is robust and so far has stayed put if anyone should find that sort of thing useful. Between the spiral wrap and the skull on the but end, I feel like a cross between a samurai and chuck Norris when fishing it, and maybe that’s why I needed to add it to my current arsenal. It’s the second recent MB rod I’ve bought with a premium price and a big fat made in china sticker on it. Don’t get me wrong; I’m glad to have it, but wonder if they could bring the price down a bit since they seem to have gone more and more to larger scale factory manufacturing processes; I guess I’m speculating.

Money well spent seems like. I’m looking at one myself and I too will hit the pads.
I did well on Rodman with my gambler.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:31 pm

Sooooo
I ordered the 7’4”
But I think I should have ordered the 7’1” and I may have to order it in addition to the one I have coming
I tend to get longer rods. I will know in a short while if it’s worth it or not to get the shorter
Stick. I will spend the weekend with it. I have a Steez sv without the Sv spool in it. I will see
What I can muster up. Stand by if your looking at this particular model.

From the looks of the specs I’m hoping to pitch and use a rhythm wave swim bait with it.
I have a couple of reels on standby to see how it balances out. The rod said Alabama rigs and spoons
Neither of which i employ often and if I did it would be the Alabama rig and my power versatile handles
That very well. For those who have the spiral wrapped rods, which way is the wrap?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:07 am

goldrod wrote:Sooooo
I ordered the 7’4”
But I think I should have ordered the 7’1” and I may have to order it in addition to the one I have coming
I tend to get longer rods. I will know in a short while if it’s worth it or not to get the shorter
Stick. I will spend the weekend with it. I have a Steez sv without the Sv spool in it. I will see

From the looks of the specs I’m hoping to pitch and use a rhythm wave swim bait with it.
I have a couple of reels on standby to see how it balances out. The rod said Alabama rigs and spoons
Neither of which i employ often and if I did it would be the Alabama rig and my power versatile handles
That very well. For those who have the spiral wrapped rods, which way is the wrap?
The guides are wrapped to the left but the stripper guide is dead center so it will not make much if any difference how you fish. I’ve really enjoyed the 71h, but also typically prefer slightly longer rods and am wondering if I should have gone that way. I bought the 71h for the spiral, action, and weight saving compared to similar modes in the series. But an extra few inches sure would have given this rod “it factor” in my book. Look forward to hearing your opinion on the 74.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:46 pm

I will go out on a limb here gents. Has anyone purchased one of the spin models ? Curious.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:23 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
goldrod wrote:Sooooo
I ordered the 7’4”

The guides are wrapped to the left but the stripper guide is dead center so it will not make much if any difference how you fish. I’ve really enjoyed the 71h, but also typically prefer slightly longer rods and am wondering if I should have gone that way. I bought the 71h for the spiral, action, and weight saving compared to similar modes in the series. But an extra few inches sure would have given this rod “it factor” in my book. Look forward to hearing your opinion on the 74.

I hate to disappoint you but I did have it coming my way but after some real comparison between it an my power versatile I elected to keep the 7'1" and return the 7'4".

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:14 pm

I got the 7’1” heavy in and I’m glad I went in this direction for sure. I know someone mentioned that the adjustable handle seemed more of a gimmick and I think that it’s definitely not. IMHO the handle is what gives the rod versatility and balance. I put a Steez SV on it but not with an SV spool. And it balances very well and for long distance cast I can extend the handle a bit to give me more leverage to cast. I don’t have a lot of time with the rod but I did catch fish from the bank and compared it to my Gambler rod. The Valkyrie is more parabolic, like most of the flipping stick that guys seek out to keep fish pinned underneath the mat.
It sensitive enough that I felt everything that was going on with the lure and the difference in bottom composition. I like it far more than my gambler and I’m interested in the 7’6” rod that they have.

1ncetime is my Instagram if you want to see pictures

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:10 pm

goldrod wrote:I got the 7’1” heavy in and I’m glad I went in this direction for sure. I know someone mentioned that the adjustable handle seemed more of a gimmick and I think that it’s definitely not. IMHO the handle is what gives the rod versatility and balance. I put a Steez SV on it but not with an SV spool. And it balances very well and for long distance cast I can extend the handle a bit to give me more leverage to cast. I don’t have a lot of time with the rod but I did catch fish from the bank and compared it to my Gambler rod. The Valkyrie is more parabolic, like most of the flipping stick that guys seek out to keep fish pinned underneath the mat.
It sensitive enough that I felt everything that was going on with the lure and the difference in bottom composition. I like it far more than my gambler and I’m interested in the 7’6” rod that they have.

Yeah; I’m finding it quite good at keeping fish pinned. I tied on a buzzjet one time when I was beating banks on foot with it as my only rod. Landed the one and only that hit on that occasion with the buzzjet quite comfortably. I’ll wait to hear on the 76 if you get it before I might.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
goldrod wrote:I got the 7’1” heavy in and I’m glad I went in this direction for sure. I know someone mentioned that the adjustable handle seemed more of a gimmick and I think that it’s definitely not. IMHO the handle is what gives the rod versatility and balance. I put a Steez SV on it but not with an SV spool. And it balances very well and for long distance cast I can extend the handle a bit to give me more leverage to cast. I don’t have a lot of time with the rod but I did catch fish from the bank and compared it to my Gambler rod. The Valkyrie is more parabolic, like most of the flipping stick that guys seek out to keep fish pinned underneath the mat.

Yeah; I’m finding it quite good at keeping fish pinned. I tied on a buzzjet one time when I was beating banks on foot with it as my only rod. Landed the one and only that hit on that occasion with the buzzjet quite comfortably. I’ll wait to hear on the 76 if you get it before I might.
I’ll get the seven six maybe in a month or so
I Brought a megabass DTC recently and it’s gonna pair with one of my type r plus reels , I’m hoping that it does what I want it for
Anyways I was going to use an I-Loud one the Valkyrie pretty much same inclination as you had. I like it but it’s different

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:28 am

Update

In all my days living, I’ve not been as impressed by a lot of rods
This 7”1’ heavy is one of very few rods that makes me not want to put it down
THIS rod makes you want to buy more in the lineup. Sometimes manufacturers
get it right and sometimes they get it wrong! This is the one they got right.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:05 am

TravisNY, I should have a chance to handle the spinning line shortly. The tackle store I work at in the St. Louis area just ordered some Megabass rods. It will be nice to handle before buying. I know for me buying a never seen or felt rod from an online source is a leap of faith.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:25 am

Whats the balance point on that 7'1H with the Steez mounted and the handle extended all of the way out?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Just at the top of the locking nut