If I need new BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

If I need new BFS reel?

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:35 am

Need some opinions for those of you BFS guys.
Which is better curado 70 with Ray's Studio Spool or Aldebaran MG7 with Yumeya Spool? Target finesse true weight 1/8oz.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: If I need new BFS reel?

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:50 am

2012 Aldebaran bfs xg! 1/8 is perfect.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 am

09Aldebaran with Yumeya spool. Love mine
<")))><{

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:29 am

Popping a DIY spool in a reel you already have is a good start. You will however, become addicted to BFS fishing and will have a choice to make. Take the blue pill and wake up believing BFS was all a dream and return to fishing however you did OR...take the red pill, and see how far down the rabbit hole BFS takes you
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:36 am

Life is short. Take the red pill and hang on tight. It's a hell of a ride!
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:02 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Popping a DIY spool in a reel you already have is a good start. You will however, become addicted to BFS fishing and will have a choice to make. Take the blue pill and wake up believing BFS was all a dream and return to fishing however you did OR...take the red pill, and see how far down the rabbit hole BFS takes you
Hahaha, already did on both counts, that why I'm thinking of turning my other Shimano to BFS. Now the question is which of Shimano platform better.
IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG (249.66 KiB) Viewed 8483 times

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Popping a DIY spool in a reel you already have is a good start. You will however, become addicted to BFS fishing and will have a choice to make. Take the blue pill and wake up believing BFS was all a dream and return to fishing however you did OR...take the red pill, and see how far down the rabbit hole BFS takes you
Hahaha, already did on both counts, that why I'm thinking of turning my other Shimano to BFS. Now the question is which of Shimano platform better.
I havent used a DIY spool for Shimano but...that could be your best overall option if you already have the 2 above reels. If you are buying a reel, check out the 12 Aldebaran BFS or an Alphas AIR depending on what braking system you prefer. SV Light would be killer for 1/8oz, as it casts 1/8oz and above better than the Alphas AIR. It also gives you more line capacity to play with.

People been selling BFS reels and parts in the Classifieds like crazy recently. You should check there before venturing elsewhere.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:28 pm

If you are interested, I have an extra Yumeya 32mm spool for the Shimano 50E platforms. Its like new in package.
<")))><{

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Just_Bass wrote:
I havent used a DIY spool for Shimano but...that could be your best overall option if you already have the 2 above reels. If you are buying a reel, check out the 12 Aldebaran BFS or an Alphas AIR depending on what braking system you prefer. SV Light would be killer for 1/8oz, as it casts 1/8oz and above better than the Alphas AIR. It also gives you more line capacity to play with.

People been selling BFS reels and parts in the Classifieds like crazy recently. You should check there before venturing elsewhere.
I do have both reels but I lean toward 70s becuz casting distance is better than 50s, I can get Ray's spool cheaper and I do own both right and left 70s where I can switch spool if I wanted too. For Daiwa I think I'm good with pixy since I already have Alphas SV150 for other Finesse Fishing.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Just_Bass wrote:

I do have both reels but I lean toward 70s becuz casting distance is better than 50s, I can get Ray's spool cheaper and I do own both right and left 70s where I can switch spool if I wanted too. For Daiwa I think I'm good with pixy since I already have Alphas SV150 for other Finesse Fishing.
Keep in mind, you have to pull all of your line out on the spool after swapping from a LH to RH reel or vice versa. The line will be on the bottom of the spool. Can be an annoying inconvenience.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Just_Bass wrote:

If you go the DIY spool route for the 70 keep in mind that you will have to remove 2 brakes from the stock spool for use on the DIY spool. The DIY has a brake holder but no brakes are fitted to the spool stock.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote: Keep in mind, you have to pull all of your line out on the spool after swapping from a LH to RH reel or vice versa. The line will be on the bottom of the spool. Can be an annoying inconvenience.
Took me about 30 seconds to work that out in my head but your right. LOL

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:28 pm

I had the 32 mm Yumeya bfs spool in my Scorpion XT1001 - once upon a time. Though it was superb. Broadend my horizons and have stuck with Daiwa platforms with various spools. Recently acquired an Aldebaran Mg7 and another Yumeya spool. Was left underwhelmed, so my last Shimano has been sold. I can't think of a better, more cost effective bfs reel out of the box than the Alphas Air.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I had the 32 mm Yumeya bfs spool in my Scorpion XT1001 - once upon a time. Though it was superb. Broadend my horizons and have stuck with Daiwa platforms with various spools. Recently acquired an Aldebaran Mg7 and another Yumeya spool. Was left underwhelmed, so my last Shimano has been sold. I can't think of a better, more cost effective bfs reel out of the box than the Alphas Air.
Yeah I remember when I first used the 32mm Yumeya Mg spool. It definitely had a WOW factor. But, just like anything else, as technology in BFS spools has advanced, it just can’t compete with what is offered today. As a matter of fact, it couldn’t compete with what was offered back then from KTF, ZPI and Avail but it was still a good BFS spool but just not on the same level as the others that I mentioned.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:53 pm

For you guys that like the 12 Aldebaran BFS XG platform, a KTF or an Avail ALD1224 with the magnetic brakes will put the OG spool to shame in performance. The OG spool holds the same amount of line as the 32mm Yumeya and that is one of the things that it has going against it.