Swimjig reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jrkleba
Angler
Angler

Swimjig reel?

Post by Jrkleba » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Looking to see what you guys use for a swimjig reel? I'm looking to get something daiwa/megabass but want to know your guys ideas.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Swimjig reel?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:28 pm

TD Zillion 100H with 6.8 IP gears, and a gold PE spool.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:11 pm

I use several different rod/reel/line combos for them. It's really hard to get it wrong. A 6.3 or 7.3; a MH glass or graphite rod; fluoro, mono, or braid... It just depends on the jig, the cover, the conditions, your style. That's one techniques where it's fun to mix it up and experiment. Plus the same setup will cover a variety of moving bait techniques, like the obvious spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/buzzbaits, along with topwaters and squarebills, and really all of them can be fished to great effect on a variety of tackle.

My primary reels are a Zillion TWS 6.3 with 40# J-Braid on a glass composite rod and a TD Zillion 7.1 with 16# Super Natural on a mod-fast graphite rod. Another is a Zillion SV 7.3 with 15# Invizx on an extra fast rod. They all sort of have their niches, but I can smack 'em down with any of them.
This is the way.

Jrkleba
Angler
Angler

Post by Jrkleba » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:33 pm

I've switched it up a bit and at the end was using my is73 but seemed a little too fast for my comfort maybe I just need to slow myself down a bit it is nice to catch up to them if need be.....maybe I'll try and go to a 6.3 or 6.8 gear ratio was thinking steez or tdz. What rods do you guys use if you dont mind me asking?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:27 am

I have a custom rod made by Lee Smith. It's a MH F style, that's got a pretty stout backbone. Down here I will throw them through some nasty stuff with 50# braid.
<")))><{

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:08 am

Jrkleba wrote: What rods do you guys use if you don't mind me asking?
What your budget? Are you looking for something Megabass? What size swimjig? One of my favorite swimjig/paddletail rods is the Dobyns Champion 734C.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Jrkleba
Angler
Angler

Post by Jrkleba » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 am

Actually just got a megabass xx tv that I'm thinking of using has good backbone and a soft enough tip. I'm usually going through some thick stuff so I think this will work great. I 90% time throwing a 3/8th oz dirtyjigs with a paddle tail type bait. The reel is what I'm trying to figure out!?!

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:11 am

Currently using an Steez EX 7.1 reel, because it's on an all purpose rod (MB Rekkai), but I prefer a 6.3 ration. You can't go wrong with any of the Steezs or TDZ reels, or a Zillion with I prefer the longer rods.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm currently using a SV 103 on my swim jig rod. The Shimano Bantam MGL looks like a very nice reel.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:23 pm

I think a Zillion SV 6.3 would suit you well. Look around for a good deal. It's great out of the box, but if you decide you want a different spool there's a plethora of choices.
This is the way.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:42 pm

I have an Gen 2 XX DSR paired with a Steez SV TW HS as my dedicated swimjig rod. 90% of my swimjig chucking is with a 3/8 oz jig and a paddletail. If I want to chuck a 1/2 oz jig, I tie it onto a Gen 1 XX TV with an SV103 XS.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:54 pm

poisonokie wrote:I think a Zillion SV 6.3 would suit you well. Look around for a good deal. It's great out of the box, but if you decide you want a different spool there's a plethora of choices.
This is the reel I use(stock spool) on a custom Lamiglas Infinity 863. I use 17# Sufix mono, so the fish actually gets the jig in the mouth(the rod has nice tip with a good bit of backbone). This combo will handle any swimjig from 1/4 oz to 3/4 plus a skinny dipper paddletail. It is actually very versatile, from dragging a c-rig to chatterbaits to buzzbaits and spinnerbaits....but it always has a swimjig tied on.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jrkleba
Angler
Angler

Post by Jrkleba » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks guys I'm on the search for something in the 6.3 or 6.8 gear ratio! Somewhat new to this site and love that I can get help like this! Plus I'm new to the daiwa/megabass world and am loving that as well!!!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Jrkleba wrote:Thanks guys I'm on the search for something in the 6.3 or 6.8 gear ratio! Somewhat new to this site and love that I can get help like this! Plus I'm new to the daiwa/megabass world and am loving that as well!!!
Oh buddy, it's a looooong dark road...
<")))><{

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Megabass IP 68