New Tatula100

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

New Tatula100

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:11 am

Anybody been playing with them yet? Sportsmans Outfitters is running them for $99.95 with free shipping. Of course, for that kind of coin, I just had to grab one. (It's the TT way). Lol There is a bit of eyesore with the nut cap and stuff, but I might have an sacrilegious way to get rid of it. Let's see what it looks like in person. Should be here in the next week.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: New Tatula100

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:40 am

I hear they aren't so bad. The size is a plus, ergonomics fit like a Steez A. Issues I have heard are that the CT-Type R casts further, and the performance is almost identical to the old $120 Tatula CT. Another good thing I seem to see repeated is that they feel pretty solid and precise. There are the better knobs too, I am hoping Tackle Trap starts selling those handles and or those knobs where I don't have to order all the way from Japan...

I'm still waiting to see if they run a mid tier reel in this shape, a Zillion 100 or something new all together. Or just get another Steez A.

Hope you like it, after fixing the plastic handle lock plate, I would have to add a DIY spool.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2099
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: New Tatula100

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Everybody but Reel Test says it cast pretty far but he is a Shimano fanboy and very biased so it is hard to tell if he is genuine at times. copycat site is going to do a distance test on the reel at some point so I would wait for that if anyone is concerned with casting distance. The CT reels cast more than far enough for me but I find thay they are hit or miss with smoothness. My old Tatula Type R with the aluminum handle side plate is smooth and quiet. My Tatula CT SV is much more noisy and less smooth than my old Tatula Type R. I've also heard some say that the Fuego CT is less smooth than the Tatula CT and vice versa leading me to believe they are over the place when it comes to smoothness and noise level. Your average non enthusiast that just bolts the reel to a rod and has at it may not notice but I turned handles a number of the Tatula CT reels as displays and they are all over the place. All have been smooth but some are much better than others.

EDIT: copycat site. Come on Cal lol. Word filtering like bassresource... :lol:

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 am

Re: New Tatula100

Post by iabass8 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:18 pm

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=79538

Size comparisons between different reels and a few user reviews found there.

I like the reel. It's an incredibly smooth reel with and without a load. Like a lot of Daiwa reels I've purchased as of late, the spool bearings needed one hell of a flushing. Performance wise, it isn't noticeably better than the CT models but it's a heck of a lot more comfortable to palm. Not quite as small as a Steez A/ SV TW but it's close. Same line, rod, bearings flushed to smooth, i don't notice a casting difference distance wise between the CT, CT Type R and new 100. All of them cast exceptionally well. The knobs are a little big than the Steez SV TW knobs but feel the same. The handle nut cover was removed right away.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: New Tatula100

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:42 pm

LowRange wrote:Everybody but Reel Test says it cast pretty far but he is a Shimano fanboy and very biased so it is hard to tell if he is genuine at times. copycat site is going to do a distance test on the reel at some point so I would wait for that if anyone is concerned with casting distance. The CT reels cast more than far enough for me but I find thay they are hit or miss with smoothness. My old Tatula Type R with the aluminum handle side plate is smooth and quiet. My Tatula CT SV is much more noisy and less smooth than my old Tatula Type R. I've also heard some say that the Fuego CT is less smooth than the Tatula CT and vice versa leading me to believe they are over the place when it comes to smoothness and noise level. Your average non enthusiast that just bolts the reel to a rod and has at it may not notice but I turned handles a number of the Tatula CT reels as displays and they are all over the place. All have been smooth but some are much better than others.

EDIT: copycat site. Come on Cal lol. Word filtering like bassresource... :lol:
Ive messed with the Fuego CT when I had one, and they were internally identical to the Tatula. I replaced all the bushings with bearings, and it was killer smooth. Like $400 reel smooth, which shocked the helloutta me. Im pretty sure the gear sets are the same numbers as well.

As far as Reel Test, he never moved the brake dial on the Tat when comparing the Citica, so Im sure there could have been a few more inches out of it. But hey, weve all dealt with him here, so we know hes valid. :lol:
<")))><{

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: New Tatula100

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:46 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I hear they aren't so bad. The size is a plus, ergonomics fit like a Steez A. Issues I have heard are that the CT-Type R casts further, and the performance is almost identical to the old $120 Tatula CT. Another good thing I seem to see repeated is that they feel pretty solid and precise. There are the better knobs too, I am hoping Tackle Trap starts selling those handles and or those knobs where I don't have to order all the way from Japan...

I'm still waiting to see if they run a mid tier reel in this shape, a Zillion 100 or something new all together. Or just get another Steez A.

Hope you like it, after fixing the plastic handle lock plate, I would have to add a DIY spool.
I got a few extra reels and parts laying around I could change the handle stuff with. I did just got a JDM Tatula SV and a USDM Tatula SV in the mail today, so I got them to play with in the mean time.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: New Tatula100

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:18 pm

I like the Tatula 100 HS I have. It just seems to be a solid, all-around reel. Probably will pick up a couple more during the sales.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Real Pudd legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: New Tatula100

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:47 pm

Glad you like it Tim!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: New Tatula100

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:Glad you like it Tim!
:big grin:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

HobeyBaker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: New Tatula100

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:37 pm

You're not going to find a better reel for a $100. I like it better than the Curado 70 I sold. The biggest thing I don't like about it is the plasticky feeling.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: New Tatula100

Post by mthao105 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 pm

The new tatula has really impressed me. Paired it up with an orochi fss, it makes for a great jerkbait combo.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: New Tatula100

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Got it in the mail today. First order of things was to open it up and take a look at the inside. Similar build as the CT. I removed the bushings from the levelwind and replaced them with bearings. Installed a Zion drag star, and changed the handle to a 85mm one off my JDM Tatula SV. Also, the nut cap had to go. Replaced that with a red retainer and chrome cap. I like the feel of the reel. Some cosmetic things that I don't care for, but overall pretty impressive. Need to get line on it and give it a whirl.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: New Tatula100

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Got it in the mail today. First order of things was to open it up and take a look at the inside. Similar build as the CT. I removed the bushings from the levelwind and replaced them with bearings. Installed a Zion drag star, and changed the handle to a 85mm one off my JDM Tatula SV. Also, the nut cap had to go. Replaced that with a red retainer and chrome cap. I like the feel of the reel. Some cosmetic things that I don't care for, but overall pretty impressive. Need to get line on it and give it a whirl.
Can you confirm or deny that those red friction pads beside the thumb bar can be replaced with the black ones from another Tatula model. Pretty sure the parts from a Steez would work, just curious as to the extent of parts swapping that can be done. I know the spools will interchange between this reel and the ither Tatulas, except the SV spool.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: New Tatula100

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Got it in the mail today. First order of things was to open it up and take a look at the inside. Similar build as the CT. I removed the bushings from the levelwind and replaced them with bearings. Installed a Zion drag star, and changed the handle to a 85mm one off my JDM Tatula SV. Also, the nut cap had to go. Replaced that with a red retainer and chrome cap. I like the feel of the reel. Some cosmetic things that I don't care for, but overall pretty impressive. Need to get line on it and give it a whirl.
Can you confirm or deny that those red friction pads beside the tumb bar can be replaced with the black ones from another Tatula model. Pretty sure the parts from a Steez would work, just curious as to the extent of parts swapping can be done. I know the spools will interchange between this reel and the ither Tatulas, except the SV spool.
In the words of the famous Al Boreland, "I don't think so Tim". :lol:
<")))><{

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: New Tatula100

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:02 am

I will say this about the new 100 compared to my CT SV. The new 100 feels more plasticy in the hand. It kinda feels to me how the OG Steez did in the hand. Even though they were the high end models, it just seemed weird. I really just need to get it out and cast it with some baits. I spooled it with the 40lb J Braid x8 Grand.
<")))><{

Post Reply