2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:26 pm

Strewth wrote:
LowRange wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:What's the difference of this reel against the Steez A? What justifies the additional 100 USD in price?

Thanks for the info.
Brass gears. Black paint with gold accents. Some mill work on the frame and carbon fiber inlays. Steez A is kinda boring looking IMO and I have never been a fan of aluminum gears but I want that platform in an aluminum frame. This new Morethan offers everything I want out of this platform (except Magforce 3D) and matches the 17 Destroyer rods while doing it.

It's on my wish list.
I've said it before and will say it again, the alloy gears in the Steez A are one of the smoothest in any reel and extremely durable. I have used mine on hundreds of large tropical fish (including 1m+ barramundi , queenfish, and threadfin salmon) and the gears are still as smooth as when I bought the reel. Put a ZPI NRC001-M spool in the "A" and it is a pure casting machine - the best baitcasting setup I have ever used. I now have 4 of them.

The alloy gears in my 13Met, on the other hand, were crap and always developed vibration after a few sessions of use. Substituting a brass drive gear from the Curado K fixed this design flaw permanently.

So your mileage may vary, depending on the reel. Not all alloy gear sets give poor performance, which I suspect has a lot to do with the nature of the alloy that is used.
I think that Steez A hasn't been out long enough for me to know how the gears hold up over time. I've been burned by aluminum gears that feel great when new only to get geary and noisy over time. Anything other than butter smooth over years of use is too much geary for me. At this point anything we hear regarding Steez A gear sets is purely anecdotal. You'll get a bunch of guys saying they are fantastic and then a report of a reel that got geary after a year of use throwing chatterbaits. I'd rather play it safe and have brass gears or wait to see how the aluminum gear sets in the Steez TW and A hold up over years of use. By "hold up" I mean "be very smooth". A rough but functional gear set is a failure to me. I don't want that.
Last edited by LowRange on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:45 pm

LowRange wrote:
Strewth wrote:
LowRange wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:What's the difference of this reel against the Steez A? What justifies the additional 100 USD in price?

Thanks for the info.
Brass gears. Black paint with gold accents. Some mill work on the frame and carbon fiber inlays. Steez A is kinda boring looking IMO and I have never been a fan of aluminum gears but I want that platform in an aluminum frame. This new Morethan offers everything I want out of this platform (except Magforce 3D) and matches the 17 Destroyer rods while doing it.

It's on my wish list.
I've said it before and will say it again, the alloy gears in the Steez A are one of the smoothest in any reel and extremely durable. I have used mine on hundreds of large tropical fish (including 1m+ barramundi , queenfish, and threadfin salmon) and the gears are still as smooth as when I bought the reel. Put a ZPI NRC001-M spool in the "A" and it is a pure casting machine - the best baitcasting setup I have ever used. I now have 4 of them.

The alloy gears in my 13Met, on the other hand, were crap and always developed vibration after a few sessions of use. Substituting a brass drive gear from the Curado K fixed this design flaw permanently.

So your mileage may vary, depending on the reel. Not all alloy gear sets give poor performance, which I suspect has a lot to do with the nature of the alloy that is used.
I think that Steez A hasn't been out long enough for me to know how the gears hold up over time. I've been burned by aluminum gears that feel great when new only to get geary and noisy over time. Anything other than butter smooth over years of use is to much geary for me. At this point anything we hear regarding Steez A gear sets is purely ancidotal. You'll get a bunch of guys saying they are fantastic and then a report of a reel that got geary after a year of use throwing chatterbaits. I'd rather play it safe and have brass gears or wait to see how the aluminum gear sets in the Steez TW and A hold up over years of use. By "hold up" I mean "be very smooth". A rough but function gear set is a failure to me. I don't want that.
That's why I love this SV Light LTD-TN I just got. Magnesium frame, Aluminum side plate, Brass gears, Carbon handle (Bass or Die!), the new grippy knobs (which I'm digging), bearings everywhere, awesome matte paint finish, zero adjuster (they set it where I would have, anyway), the SS front plate I find to be an ergonomic wonder, fast levelwind, that spool, and it still weighs 5.3 oz just like the SS. Plus it came with a cover! I think I need to go ahead and grab a 6.3 while I can...

Anyway, it seems to me like the Morethan must have brass gears. How could they call Aluminum, even Duralumin, gears "Hyper Duragear" or whatever it says?
This is the way.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:59 pm

poisonokie wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Strewth wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Thanks for the info.

It's on my wish list.

I think that Steez A hasn't been out long enough for me to know how the gears hold up over time. I've been burned by aluminum gears that feel great when new only to get geary and noisy over time. Anything other than butter smooth over years of use is to much geary for me. At this point anything we hear regarding Steez A gear sets is purely ancidotal. You'll get a bunch of guys saying they are fantastic and then a report of a reel that got geary after a year of use throwing chatterbaits. I'd rather play it safe and have brass gears or wait to see how the aluminum gear sets in the Steez TW and A hold up over years of use. By "hold up" I mean "be very smooth". A rough but function gear set is a failure to me. I don't want that.
That's why I love this SV Light LTD-TN I just got. Magnesium frame, Aluminum side plate, Brass gears, Carbon handle (Bass or Die!), the new grippy knobs (which I'm digging), bearings everywhere, awesome matte paint finish, zero adjuster (they set it where I would have, anyway), the SS front plate I find to be an ergonomic wonder, fast levelwind, that spool, and it still weighs 5.3 oz just like the SS. Plus it came with a cover! I think I need to go ahead and grab a 6.3 while I can...

Anyway, it seems to me like the Morethan must have brass gears. How could they call Aluminum, even Duralumin, gears "Hyper Duragear" or whatever it says?
WRONG the SV Light TN limited is the exact same alloy gears as used in the SS SV. I know as I own one and had it apart as soon as I took delivery of it, I fitted a set of Steez 100SH gears which are also alloy and super smooth, I wanted a 7.1 Ratio

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:53 am

jvelth74 wrote:What kind of inductor is in that ZPI NRC001-M spool? Is it fixed? Or that 'twisting' one Magforce Air?
Fixed, the M and PG both are.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:27 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Strewth wrote:
LowRange wrote:

It's on my wish list.

WRONG the SV Light TN limited is the exact same alloy gears as used in the SS SV. I know as I own one and had it apart as soon as I took delivery of it, I fitted a set of Steez 100SH gears which are also alloy and super smooth, I wanted a 7.1 Ratio
Pretty sure the SV Light has hybrid brass/aluminum gears like the T3 AIR. Brass around the tooth area and alloy/aluminum on the rest.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:15 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Pretty sure the SV Light has hybrid brass/aluminum gears like the T3 AIR. Brass around the tooth area and alloy/aluminum on the rest.
Really? That is freaking AWESOME! I've never heard of that before. No wonder it's still so light. All I've seen is the pinion since I haven't torn it down. That really begs the question as to why this reel hasn't gotten more attention. Thanks for that little tidbit.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:17 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Hmmm... Did you have the 6.3 or 8.1? I have the 8.1 and I know the pinion is brass, at least.
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:21 am

poisonokie wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Hmmm... Did you have the 6.3 or 8.1? I have the 8.1 and I know the pinion is brass, at least.
I had the 8.1

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:24 am

Does the SS have an aluminum pinion? I don't remember the last time I looked, even though I just did a spool swap.
This is the way.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:41 am

The SS Sv and The SV light have brass pinion and alloy main gear. there is no hybrid main gear in either,

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:The SS Sv and The SV light have brass pinion and alloy main gear. there is no hybrid main gear in either,
You sure? I could have swore I saw a hybrid main gear on the SV Light LTD. I am not 100 percent but...pretty certain. Not calling you a liar, just saying what I THINK I recall.

I have taken apart many reels lately as it is winter for me. It stood out to me because the only other reels Ive seen it in was the T3 AIR and the Steez SV 105 LTD.

I do look at many pics in a week of reels, either on here or Instagram.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:The SS Sv and The SV light have brass pinion and alloy main gear. there is no hybrid main gear in either,
You sure? I could have swore I saw a hybrid main gear on the SV Light LTD. I am not 100 percent but...pretty certain. Not calling you a liar, just saying what I THINK I recall.

I have taken apart many reels lately as it is winter for me. It stood out to me because the only other reels Ive seen it in was the T3 AIR and the Steez SV 105 LTD.

Aren't the 8:1 main gears a hybrid gear for the Steez LTD? This new SV Light thing might have the same material for the main gear? Isn't the SV Light basically an SS SV Limited Edition? If so the use of a hybrid main gear for the 8:1 models would make sense.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 pm

LowRange wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Aren't the 8:1 main gears a hybrid gear for the Steez LTD? This new SV Light thing might have the same material for the main gear? Isn't the SV Light basically an SS SV Limited Edition? If so the use of a hybrid main gear for the 8:1 models would make sense.
I have only seen the 6.3 version which definitely is the same gears as SS SV. The 8.1 may very well be hybrid.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm fixin to find out tonight. They feel a touch dry, anyway.
This is the way.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 pm

getting back to the Morethan I am thinking at only 5 grams difference between it and a Steez A it will have the same G1 Alloy gears which is no problem as the Steez A is proving to be standing up to the tough fish. the weight difference is most likely for the 100mm handle.
I am going to say its just a blinged up Steez A which for similar price you can get the SLP special order from Plat with choice of gear ratio, spool, handle and knobs.