New Tatula100

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Tatula100

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:27 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:I will say this about the new 100 compared to my CT SV. The new 100 feels more plasticy in the hand. It kinda feels to me how the OG Steez did in the hand. Even though they were the high end models, it just seemed weird. I really just need to get it out and cast it with some baits. I spooled it with the 40lb J Braid x8 Grand.
That's the same thing people said about the SS SV and T3. What are the Tat 100 gears made of?
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:45 am

poisonokie wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:I will say this about the new 100 compared to my CT SV. The new 100 feels more plasticy in the hand. It kinda feels to me how the OG Steez did in the hand. Even though they were the high end models, it just seemed weird. I really just need to get it out and cast it with some baits. I spooled it with the 40lb J Braid x8 Grand.
That's the same thing people said about the SS SV and T3. What are the Tat 100 gears made of?
Brass. The feeling is due to the plastic sideplates. Its got a "cheap" feeling to it. Not $100 Doyo cheap, but for a Daiwa, it is. Really I cant complain much since I managed to get it for a great price. I personally prefer the "feel" of the CT SV better. If you follow me on Instagram, you will see the breakdown.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:08 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Brass. The feeling is due to the plastic sideplates. Its got a "cheap" feeling to it. Not $100 Doyo cheap, but for a Daiwa, it is. Really I cant complain much since I managed to get it for a great price. I personally prefer the "feel" of the CT SV better. If you follow me on Instagram, you will see the breakdown.
The Zaion frame makes the T3 feel hollow, but it does have brass gears. The magnesium frame/Zaion sideplate/aluminum gears have a similar effect with the SS. I thought maybe the 100 had aluminum gears if it felt different from the CT or SV, because they have plastic sideplates, too. Maybe it's just the smaller size.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:23 am

poisonokie wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
The Zaion frame makes the T3 feel hollow, but it does have brass gears. The magnesium frame/Zaion sideplate/aluminum gears have a similar effect with the SS. I thought maybe the 100 had aluminum gears if it felt different from the CT or SV, because they have plastic sideplates, too. Maybe it's just the smaller size.
The CT SV has a plastic sideplate? It feels like its aluminum. The palm plate I know is plastic.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 am

This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:57 am

Maybe its all that reenforcement that makes it sound soo solid? Its been about a year since Ive had one in front of me. I havent opened my JDM SV up yet. Dont really need to. The only reason I opened up the new Tat100 was to see what was inside and while I was at it, replace the levelwind bushings.
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:39 am

Lol. I was thinking of the OG Tats. They had the aluminum sideplate.
<")))><{

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:44 pm

Could the difference in feel be due to the matte finish and lower weight of the 100? Would a heavier smooth to the touch reel not feel more solid in hand?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:29 pm

LowRange wrote:Could the difference in feel be due to the matte finish and lower weight of the 100? Would a heavier smooth to the touch reel not feel more solid in hand?
Thats a good point. Using the TD Zillion as an example, my TD Zillion 100HA is hella smooth, and its a heavier reel. But again, thats a reel with aluminum frame and sideplate. And yes, the SV version of the Tat is what?... an ounce more than the new 100? But here is where Im curious, if the CT and the new version are composite sideplates on both sides, with aluminum frames, where did they shave the weight from? They botb have brass driveshafts and gear sets. The size of the frame is a bit smaller, and thats aluminum. So did they also thin out the sideplates? I didnt measure any of that when I tore it down.
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:54 pm

I finally got to take the new 100 and the SV out to do some casting. Both reels spooled with 40lb J Braid x8 Grand. Given the SV is supposed to cast lighter baits better, I rigged a 1/16oz weight and a lizard to the SV. I also rigged a 1/8oz weight and a lizard to the new 100. Casting both with the same rod, the SV had better distance with easier manageability of the spool. When I switched the SV to the 1/8oz weight, that SV opened up immensely. Both reels are in stock form internally, with the exception of the 100, which I changed out the bushings in the levelwind for bearings. That does not affect the casting though, so it really doesnt pan out in the test. But even still, the SV felt smoother all around. The only advantage I found in the new Tatula is that it has a lower profile compared to the CT. Otherwise, I don't see any advantage.
<")))><{

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:03 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Yo Bro , I hit ya up IG. I wanna see this reel , lol.

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Anyone know what spool will fit the new tatula 100

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:01 pm

johnD wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Yo Bro , I hit ya up IG. I wanna see this reel , lol.
Go to UB. I did a teardown on it. Oh, and have since sold it,. :lol:
Last edited by LgMouthGambler on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<")))><{

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:03 pm

lund40 wrote:Anyone know what spool will fit the new tatula 100
It's 34mm, same size spool at the TAT type R, although the TAT type R spool is lighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrOHJfjgiXk

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Thank you