What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by adam lancia » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:10 am

Dalleinf wrote:Adam, is there any benefit from changing the bearing (?). Which bearing do you install?
I felt there was a difference, the stock breading was really noisy and loose. I replaced it with a generic ceramic hybrid from Ali express which seemed to be marginally better. If I used it a lot, I'd find another, higher quality bearing for it but I don't use it that often so it hasn't been a priority.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:14 am

adam lancia wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:Adam, is there any benefit from changing the bearing (?). Which bearing do you install?
I felt there was a difference, the stock breading was really noisy and loose. I replaced it with a generic ceramic hybrid from Ali express which seemed to be marginally better. If I used it a lot, I'd find another, higher quality bearing for it but I don't use it that often so it hasn't been a priority.
Thx! Do you recall the bearing size?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:32 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:I guess it's always cool to have something new, but that's their big thing? A smaller spool in reels identical to their predecessors?
With the Alphas, yes. It's a no go for me. The Steez is obviously quite a bit smaller, and aimed at finesse duties. How finesse will it be is the question, being the SV TW - especially the high ratio with the 1012 spool will already handle 1/8 oz with relative ease. Nobody knows if the Millionaire has also been shrunk. If no, then yeah, dumb move. If it has, I'm definitely in.
It looks the same size, just based on the components and that huge spacer in the side plate. I do love millionaires, though. I would strongly consider that one.
This is the way.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:52 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Does look a little smaller than the current Steez SV TW. Idk if Ill be getting it. The 8.1 Steez SV TW is really nice as it is.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:12 pm

Imageprntscr

Looks like it will be a 103 sized Millionaire with spacers for the 30 mil spool. I don't know my Millionaire but have they always had a 103 sized and been that good looking or is this one special besides the 30 mil spool?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm

LowRange wrote:Imageprntscr

Looks like it will be a 103 sized Millionaire with spacers for the 30 mil spool. I don't know my Millionaire but have they always had a 103 sized and been that good looking or is this one special besides the 30 mil spool?
Looks like a new frame and sideplates to me.
This is the way.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:35 pm

Thay is a good looking Millionaire!!! Wanted a Luna 103 but never got around to it. What a sweet cranking reel that would be. :big grin:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:41 pm

The sounds that lady makes in that video. Is she even speaking Japanese?

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:03 pm

I agree with everything she said.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:44 pm

Tokugawa wrote:Thay is a good looking Millionaire!!! Wanted a Luna 103 but never got around to it. What a sweet cranking reel that would be. :big grin:
=P~ =P~ =P~
Stunning. Must have :shock:

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:23 pm

I am with you on the Millionaire. I understand that the Steez is the flagship, but I would really like more information on the other two.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:31 am

Tokugawa wrote:Thay is a good looking Millionaire!!! Wanted a Luna 103 but never got around to it. What a sweet cranking reel that would be. :big grin:
It is. I felt the need to make upgrades throughout the reel (spool [RCS 1016], spool bearings [air HD], handle/knobs [100mm Daiwa Custom, blue], handle bushing to bearing upgrade...), But now it's a killer all around cranking reel from shallow runners to deep divers like the duo g87 20a. Hopefully the new 103 has a higher bearing count, or at least bushings that can be easily upgraded like in the levelwind, for instance. Either way, I'm definitely getting one of those for my shallow cranking rod. I'm glad they went with silver!

This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 pm

A few more screen grabs from the video. The 30 mil looks crazy small next to 1016 sized SV spool.

The mag dial looks like it would be hard to accidently move but also hard to adjust while palming. Not a fan on the egg shape of the reel. Looks very odd/boring. The gap in the body line from the frame to the palming plate looks awful.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:34 pm

The body on the new Steez CT kinda reminds me of a Shimano Core 100/01MG.