Reel suggestions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

Reel suggestions

Post by SapperTyler » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:49 pm

I’m in the market for a bfs/light soft plastics reel. Doesn’t have to have a bfs spool but I’ve been looking at the Tatula sv, Zillion sv, and a few Shimano’s but I can’t decide. I currently have a Tatula ct and Tatula 150 so I’m very proficient with Diawa’s tech and feel if I go the Shimano route I would have issues. Can anyone give some good advice? Does the zillions free floating spool and smaller inductor make a diff? And what all other features do I get on the zillion for that extra $100? Should I get a Steez sv or should I wait for Diawa to release their new Steez ct sv? Can’t decide, I want to try a higher end reel but a part of me keeps saying is it really with it and I feel since it’s for light weight stuff it kind of is. Please help

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel suggestions

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:47 am

How light are we talking? Here would be my top choices, most expensive listed first.
True finesse -
1) Steez CT SV TW
2) Alphas Air
Power finesse
1) Steez 1012SV TW XHL
2) SS Light Limited
My answer to if it's worth the price increase over your existing reels is absolutely. If you want a solid all rounder, fully capable of power finesse, the Zillion SV TW is always a good choice.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:31 am

What do you consider to be the light end of weights you want to toss?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:50 am

In the Tat SV/Zillion SV price range, I would grab an Alphas SV or an Alphas Finesse Custom off of ebay and never look back.

SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

Post by SapperTyler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 am

I’m thinking lightest would be 3/16

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 pm

SapperTyler wrote:I’m thinking lightest would be 3/16
All depends on how much coin you want to spend. All of the options I listed will do just fine.

SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

Post by SapperTyler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:19 pm

Hogsticker im thinkin something in the $200-300 dollar range

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:41 pm

SapperTyler wrote:Hogsticker im thinkin something in the $200-300 dollar range
If you think you may want to reach lighter than that 3/16 oz at some point, the Alphas Air is really good. If you won't be going lighter, and will also be reaching a half ounce or better, the Zillion SV TW is what you want. If you want to spend a little more and make your tongue hang out of your mouth, get the SS Light Limited.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:22 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
SapperTyler wrote:Hogsticker im thinkin something in the $200-300 dollar range
If you think you may want to reach lighter than that 3/16 oz at some point, the Alphas Air is really good. If you won't be going lighter, and will also be reaching a half ounce or better, the Zillion SV TW is what you want. If you want to spend a little more and make your tongue hang out of your mouth, get the SS Light Limited.
Sound advice. Just get the light. It's the best of both worlds and has more sex appeal. I found mine for less than 3 bills.
This is the way.

SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

Post by SapperTyler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:33 pm

So where can I find the SS light limited? Send me a link I’ve found a couple but not sure with all this JDM talk lol

SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

Post by SapperTyler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Ok so let’s sum this you want a Diawa where I can throw the lightest lure up to at the most a 1/4 - 3/8 at most but I would love to have the t-wing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:36 pm

SapperTyler wrote:Ok so let’s sum this you want a Diawa where I can throw the lightest lure up to at the most a 1/4 - 3/8 at most but I would love to have the t-wing
Dead set on the T Wing feature, both the Steez and Zillion will do what you want. IMO, the Steez will do it a little better with better ergonomics and a smaller profile. The Steez is also going to feel a little more refined. It really boils down to how much you want to spend. As for the SS Light, you will have to order it from a JDM website for best pricing.

https://japanlureshop.com/catalog/produ ... tegory/47/

http://jpangler.com/index.php/reel/daiw ... t-ltd.html

Both these shops are super solid, and will have you your reel within 5 business days.

SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

Post by SapperTyler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks hogsticker I am gonna decide between the SS and the zillion, I was lookin at the Steez but think I’ll tip toe more and more towards the high end.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:12 am

I am throwing a Abu Garcia MGEXTREME 2 in the mix.

With the right rod, it should be able to throw light lures as well. Also it extends the lure weight a bit up as well. Can be had for 300 USD on ebay.

Cheers.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Just go with a Pixy variant and call it a day.