BFS and Trout baitcast combos

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS and Trout baitcast combos

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:53 pm

John G wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:
Cristo wrote:Very tasty treats =D>
I agree. Hmm Fenwick is a reappearing guest - I will have to look into those rods esp. if any of them are moderate/moderate-fast action suitable for treble hook moving baits.
In my experience, all of the UL or L powered BFS rods that I have used are suitable for lures with treble hooks regardless of whether or not they have a moderate, fast or extra fast tip so I would not lose any sleep trying to find that perfect rod. Having said that, I would rather have a fast or extra fast BFS rod because I can use it for any technique. Take for example my 6’5” L BFS Expride, it has an extra fast tip but I would not hesitate to fish the tiny Strike King Bitsy Minnow with it and then switch to a Flick Shake or a Finesse Jig.
I wish so bad BFS would take here in the US. I would buy so much more. Would be cool to see Abu offer $100 cheapo Veritas 6'6"L rods or UL rods. I would probably still go for the more expensive/quality options, but I would just like to see more people get into it. I bet Dobyn's could make one hell of a BFS rod. Many manufacturers already do, they just aren't locally available.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:06 pm

John G, I do a lot of trout fishing where I cast spinners upstream. I fish gin clear water and usually see the trout strike (standard fish is around 20 inches and easy to see).
I have used my Major Craft Volkeys and the G Loomis CR721 on several occasions and I have seen a very clear pattern for my style of fishing at least (I cannot speak for LM bass and panfish fishing).
Using the aforementioned rods (vs. Major Craft N-One, Daiwa Wise stream etc) I loose a far higher percentage of fish on the strike and during the initial seconds of the fight. I have tried to “compensate” for the “too fast” action by using monofilament line instead of braid, which helps but I still do not land the same amount (and percentage) of fish as I do with more moderate or moderate-fast action rods. That being said, the (very) fast action rods are very fun to use and I do have rods with such a soft action that it takes away some of my joy of fishing (e.g. St. Croix Wild River Kokanee casting WRKC80ML2).

From the posts in this thread I have learned that I have a lot of rods left to try, which will help me sleep. :lol:
Thanks guys. =D>

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Dalleinf wrote:John G, I do a lot of trout fishing where I cast spinners upstream. I fish gin clear water and usually see the trout strike (standard fish is around 20 inches and easy to see).
I have used my Major Craft Volkeys and the G Loomis CR721 on several occasions and I have seen a very clear pattern for my style of fishing at least (I cannot speak for LM bass and panfish fishing).
Using the aforementioned rods (vs. Major Craft N-One, Daiwa Wise stream etc) I loose a far higher percentage of fish on the strike and during the initial seconds of the fight. I have tried to “compensate” for the “too fast” action by using monofilament line instead of braid, which helps but I still do not land the same amount (and percentage) of fish as I do with more moderate or moderate-fast action rods. That being said, the (very) fast action rods are very fun to use and I do have rods with such a soft action that it takes away some of my joy of fishing (e.g. St. Croix Wild River Kokanee casting WRKC80ML2).

From the posts in this thread I have learned that I have a lot of rods left to try, which will help me sleep. :lol:
Thanks guys. =D>
Which Volkey?
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Both. The L is better than ML for my style of trout fishing, but both have a too fast action.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Dalleinf wrote:Both. The L is better than ML for my style of trout fishing, but both have a too fast action.
I agree. They're definitely not panfish rods. I think they're accurately rated, though. I don't know about the UL Volkey, but the MS-X UL still isn't something you'd want for panfish, even though it will cast the baits and land the fish. It's just overkill. But that's okay, because they were designed for bass/cover anyway, and they're killer for that.

Now the XUL Volkey might be more suitable if you're like me and just love using those rods. It has the same ratings, but a regular taper. I'd like to try one to see if it's fun to use for panfishing.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:08 am

Yes, action is accurately rated and they are fun to use. I use them for big perch. A couple of years ago, I looked far and wide for the XUL, which - as you know - is (was) supposed to be regular action. Now I consider going custom unless this thread or TT reveals a gem :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:38 am

Dalleinf wrote:Yes, action is accurately rated and they are fun to use. I use them for big perch. A couple of years ago, I looked far and wide for the XUL, which - as you know - is (was) supposed to be regular action. Now I consider going custom unless this thread or TT reveals a gem :D
If you are looking to build a regular action perch rod, The Phenix Mirage series is pretty nice. If you use braid, you get nice hooksets and the rod has plenty of give as well. It is a really tough blank as well, I have boat flipped big bluegill and also caught plenty of 24in+ pike on it without any fear of it breaking.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:16 am

Dalleinf wrote:Yes, action is accurately rated and they are fun to use. I use them for big perch. A couple of years ago, I looked far and wide for the XUL, which - as you know - is (was) supposed to be regular action. Now I consider going custom unless this thread or TT reveals a gem :D
There was a 2pc up for auction before xmas, $200 obo. Don't know what it went for. Still looked pretty much new.
This is the way.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
If you are looking to build a regular action perch rod, The Phenix Mirage series is pretty nice. If you use braid, you get nice hooksets and the rod has plenty of give as well. It is a really tough blank as well, I have boat flipped big bluegill and also caught plenty of 24in+ pike on it without any fear of it breaking.
This is good to know as my mirage blank custom will soon be here.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Shoot. I could have built it up for you. It's a fun blank. What one did you get?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Shoot. I could have built it up for you. It's a fun blank. What one did you get?
6'1" 1 piece, full cork, pts, spiral wrapped micros. 16 aldebaran bfs xg with avail spool will be sitting on it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
6'1" 1 piece, full cork, pts, spiral wrapped micros. 16 aldebaran bfs xg with avail spool will be sitting on it.
Copycat...almost

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Copycat...almost
Haha i was originally set on the elixir blank but it was backordered so i went full trout and had the mirage built. And i dont know what better reel could go with it than one with a 4.75g spool with bearing... i know your rod build is pretty minimalistic by what i remember. Mine looks like it came out of the st croix factory.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:14 am

ss30378 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
Copycat...almost
Haha i was originally set on the elixir blank but it was backordered so i went full trout and had the mirage built. And i dont know what better reel could go with it than one with a 4.75g spool with bearing... i know your rod build is pretty minimalistic by what i remember. Mine looks like it came out of the st croix factory.
Looking forward to seeing it. I got the 2 piece, which I feel may have a slightly stouter butt than the 1 piece. I wish I would have got the 2 piece. It is now my BFS cranking rod. Can be used for just about anything really.

Not sure if you can really tap into that spools potential with that rod. I know the spool will help, as I struggled casting ice jigs with the stock pool and the Mirage. I used a KTF spool and things got better.

Let me know if you find an aftermarket bearing for the Avail spool. The bearing on the shaft is the same size as the knob bearings. Part of me was thinking of trying a Boca ceramic on it. I would imagine it may help more than the stock bearing.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Last edited by Edward78 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.