What's next for Shimano???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's next for Shimano???

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:41 am

I would like a new Calcutta 200GTB, but in a more compact size. Probably one of the best Shimanos brought to us, next to the Curado50E.
<")))><{

AndreMas
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by AndreMas » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:22 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:41 am
I would like expert opinion on these probiotics for ibs and a new Calcutta 200GTB, but in a more compact size. Probably one of the best Shimanos brought to us, next to the Curado50E.
Are there any rumors of a new Calcutta rod? Or is this just wishful thinking? haha
Last edited by AndreMas on Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 pm

I stop buying curado 70 after the fourth one becuz I’m waiting for upgrade 70 with MGL spool or micro module gear. I might sell off my alde MG7 and scorpion xt1000 for those.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 am

If the rumors begin to appear that a new 70 is coming, I will probably start to worry about them adding the extra driveshaft bearing, just like with the Bantam. Wonder if they ever fixed that one their website, shorting the Bantam's bearing count by one.

Probably would buy an updated 70 either way though, just nice to have that extra support. I had a friend who switched solely to Daiwa for primarily used rods, so for some reason he switched his old Chronarch Ci4+ to an A-Rig rod with 20lb fluoro. The extra driveshaft bearing made no difference there though and that reel held up great. That doesn't mean I don't still prefer the lay out of my Chronarch MGL though, again it is just a nice feature to know you have to help the gears (hopefully micro's on a new 70) and further support the anti reverse while minimizing wobbling and back play in the handle...

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:28 pm

I have wish list item... How about Micro Module Gears that are actually smooth ](*,) I have two different Steez and they are liquid smooth without the buzzing feeling of my micro module reels when under load. My Tats are even smoother than my Mets. and MGL!

Kurt

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Kurt L wrote:I have wish list item... How about Micro Module Gears that are actually smooth ](*,) I have two different Steez and they are liquid smooth without the buzzing feeling of my micro module reels when under load. My Tats are even smoother than my Mets. and MGL!

Kurt
Seems that the aluminum micro module gears are affected the worst. My Chronarch MGL is very fluid and feels great. This all being said though, I feel my Steez A is hands down the most smooth reel I own. Hard to think Daiwa adding brass or changing to Hyper Mesh gears would improve the Steez A or SV TW. Now I have read a few reviews of the Curado 70 gears getting rough, none on the Curado K though; so maybe adding brass micros there would be an improvement...

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Maybe a new rod series/ The expride has been a home run so it wouldn't be surprising for them to add a new higher end rod.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:14 pm

I had a chronarch mgl and a curado 70 , both got geary feeling reel quick with heavy use. My curado k's seem to be holding their own. I'd like to see new citica.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:21 am

russ57 wrote:Maybe a new rod series/ The expride has been a home run so it wouldn't be surprising for them to add a new higher end rod.
Something to take the spot once held by the Cumulus would be pretty sweet.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:58 am

http://tzlure.com/2019-shimano-antares- ... 96%B0.html
Antares MGL 19, Calcutta Conquest DC 19. Hmmmmm... :-k Interesting.
ImageImage

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Loafer wrote:http://tzlure.com/2019-shimano-antares- ... 96%B0.html
Antares MGL 19, Calcutta Conquest DC 19. Hmmmmm... :-k Interesting.
ImageImage
If this is legitimate, I wonder why they bumped the capacity of the spool up to what seems to be a 200 size given that the 12 Antares has a 100 sized spool.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:27 am

Calcutt looks meh, same looking forever. The Antares looks slick. Never been a fan of them because they're too heavy n bulky, but this one looks nice. Now if they can make this thing sub 6.5oz and not sit as high on the reel seat, i'll be interested.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:47 am

SSS wrote:The Antares looks slick. Never been a fan of them because they're too heavy n bulky, but this one looks nice. Now if they can make this thing sub 6.5oz and not sit as high on the reel seat, i'll be interested.
With these sharp angles Its look like mix of Met, Bantam and AbuGarcia 4Gen reel, don't you think? :D

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Loafer wrote:
SSS wrote:The Antares looks slick. Never been a fan of them because they're too heavy n bulky, but this one looks nice. Now if they can make this thing sub 6.5oz and not sit as high on the reel seat, i'll be interested.
With these sharp angles Its look like mix of Met, Bantam and AbuGarcia 4Gen reel, don't you think? :D
Reminds me of a car. An expensive one.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Tzlure mentions a scorpion Mgl and SLX Mgl.