buying bearings in bulk

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

buying bearings in bulk

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 am

I saw in the "acetone" thread Lgmouthgambler and Shimanofan post about buying bearings for cheap. Just wondering if you guys or anyone else wants to post their source for bearings that are less expensive than buying OEM? In my case I like to stick to standard all stainless. Thanks.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: buying bearings in bulk

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:14 pm

The best option for you is a RC Car/Hobby source online that sells bearings. I get bearings for cheap from sources that I can not say.
<")))><{

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:49 pm

I just get mine from aliexpress. Look for a ZZ designation those will be stainless.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:48 am

fishingkat wrote:I just get mine from aliexpress. Look for a ZZ designation those will be stainless.
Thanks, I just ordered some that were less than $1 a bearing. WOW!! Now I can afford to order a bunch of frame bearing too. Wish I would have figured this out years ago.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Not all bearings are created equal, especially the cheap ones. I buy in bulk for handle knob bearings and I always end up with some junkers. No matter how many times I run them through the ultra sonic or what I clean them with. It’s of little concern since I can just toss them in the can and grab another one. Just be sure to order some extras to have if needed.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:40 pm

One good key thing to do is soak them. I keep them in a container labeled with the sizes, all while they soak in either gear oil or thick motor oil.
<")))><{

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks for the tips. I realize that on the whole Chinese bearings should generally be inferior to japanese bearings. I actually ordered abec 5 zz stainless for less than a buck a bearing. Minimal investment and I can try, if they work good I can order more. I always test all bearings for smoothness. If they aren't smooth out of the pack or after a few drops of oil, in the trash they go.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:42 am

lifeofRiley wrote:Thanks for the tips. I realize that on the whole Chinese bearings should generally be inferior to japanese bearings. I actually ordered abec 5 zz stainless for less than a buck a bearing. Minimal investment and I can try, if they work good I can order more. I always test all bearings for smoothness. If they aren't smooth out of the pack or after a few drops of oil, in the trash they go.
If you can find the time, please report back on how the bearings perform... Thx

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:39 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:Thanks for the tips. I realize that on the whole Chinese bearings should generally be inferior to japanese bearings. I actually ordered abec 5 zz stainless for less than a buck a bearing. Minimal investment and I can try, if they work good I can order more. I always test all bearings for smoothness. If they aren't smooth out of the pack or after a few drops of oil, in the trash they go.
I would be interested in your find as well. Please report your results. I'm looking for bulk bearings in bulk as well.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:59 pm

I got my bearings in today. Shipping to MN was exactly two weeks. Bearings looks great, the 10 units came in a plastic cylinder with a screw off top. I took each one out and spun them on an awl to feel/check for smoothness or lack thereof. All 10 bearings were smooth and no roughness or unevenness detected. I just got a digital caliper and they were right on spec. with what I ordered and the same as O.E.M. bearings from shimano reels. I popped them in a CU200B I had just cleaned/repaired and did a quick 15 minute casting session in a large gym I have access to. The bearing casted great and I couldn't tell any difference between them and brand new bearings I had just received from Shimano. I will definitely be ordering a bunch more bearings from this company. In the past I would have a slightly rough bearing and wouldn't want to pay 5 dollars+ for a new bearing that may or may not smooth one of my reels out. Now I can get a bearing for less than a dollar. I wish I would have known this a long time ago. Would have saved a lot of time trying to refurb old rusty bearings in acetone/ultrasonic etc. Obviously my review is not based on long-term use, but if I remember I'll update this in about 10 months!

Brand of the bearing is FUSHI

Purchase details
623ZZ Bearing ABEC-5 10PCS 3x10x4 mm Miniature 623-2Z Ball Bearings 623 ZZ EMQ Z3V3 Quality$7.79
Item #97845350305899

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Thanks for the review!

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:23 am

Thanks for the feed back LOR.

May I ask that you do a review in around 3 months time, as my experience shows they are only good for 10 or 12 outings, and are then binned.
The OEM Shimano bearings are still good after 10 years of use !!

Best.

Terry.