Carbon Fiber handle....Metanium

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Carbon Fiber handle....Metanium

Post by Scuba Scott » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Looking at putting a carbon fiber handle on a Metanium mgl. What kind of options are out there? Looking at around a 90 mm size. I have been looking at the zpi 92 in the gunmetal color and also the hawgtech 90 mm. Thoughts on these two? Going to keep the stock shimano knobs on new handle. What other handles should I be considering?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Carbon Fiber handle....Metanium

Post by domthewon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Not as many options for Shimano. Personally I dislike the hawgtech handles. They feel heavier than stock, look bulky, I don’t care for the lock nut cover deal, and I’m not positive about the Shimano knobs fitting or not. I bought one and returned it. The Zpi handles are pretty nice. I prefer the swept style than the straight style. Shimano knobs will fit them. I think KTF might still make carbon handles but I’m not sure. Ali express sells rays studio ones that are ok for how cheap they are, but I don’t think you can put Shimano knobs. Zpi from the tackle trap w the 10.% code might be the best deal. Good luck
Dom

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:34 pm

I tried to get the Zpi one at the tackle trap. They were sold out of the gunmetal one. They were also not sure they were going to be able to get anymore.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm

I like ZPI or Studio composite. I also got a hawgtech with new retainer, beefiest design. Image

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:33 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:I like ZPI or Studio composite. I also got a hawgtech with new retainer, beefiest design. Image
Nice collection. I didn’t know they changed it. That’s a smart move. I couldn’t stand the old style, but it is definitely the “beefiest “ carbon handle. I also forgot to mention studio compsite those are nice too.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:58 pm

What are your opinions of the newer hawgtech versus the ZPI?

botlfed427
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by botlfed427 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 pm

i like my hawgtech-they are nice
Attachments
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG (37.94 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG (29.88 KiB) Viewed 4604 times

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:45 am

I prefer the HawgTech for Shimano. They allow you to use the Shimano knobs. Many different knob options as well. They are tough as they were designed down here in S FL for tough fishing conditions.
<")))><{