Graphiteleader ‘18 Corto compared to Corto Nuovo Prototype

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Graphiteleader ‘18 Corto compared to Corto Nuovo Prototype

Post by Craigthor » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:52 am

Got my Graphiteleader Corto Nuovo Prototype and took some comparison photos. Moved my 18’ Exist between the both of them, and though the ‘18 Corto is 5 grams lighter the Corto Nuovo Prototype has a more balanced feel in hand with and without a reel.

Specs:

Labels:

Butt Section:

Ferrule Section - Left side is ‘18 Corto / Right Side is Corto Nuovo Prototype Top of picture is butt section:

Eyes:

Tip ‘18 Corto on Right / Corto Nuovo Prototype on Left

Reel Seats:

Long Shot:

Reel Shot on Corto Nuovo Prototype:

Hopefully I’ll be able to take a trip tomorrow and see how well it fishes, really clean build on both of them slight differences in Graphite Cloth, Grip Diameter and Shape, the Nuovo Prototype has Torzite inserts and a little more decorative build.
Last edited by Craigthor on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Graphiteleader ‘18 Corto compared to Corto Nuovo Prototype

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Can't wait to hear a report.
They look so similar in so many ways. But the Exist looks good on both. 8-)
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Craigthor, GREAT pics and report. Almost don't need to get the rods to measure myself....:)

Figure I'll like to your first fishing report:
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=80437

So my CONJECTURE - just guess work here in my comments.

1. It is hard for me to imagine something more crisp than the 18 Corto given its stiffness to weight ratio. So I wonder if your comment about the prototype as being more 'crisp' is due to it actually being less power and being a bit slower in action - both of which loads more for a given lure weight.

Regarding power, if both are loaded with the same weight - say 8 ounces, a crisper rod generally would bend less but I wonder if the prototype actually would bend more than the 18 (tip top would sit closer to the ground if rod is held horizontal) and also bend more through the blank being perhaps slower. I'm just guessing here - the 18 Corto is so stiff for the weight that I find it hard to imagine Olympicwill make another UL that has even greater power.

Again, I am just conjecturing - nothing beats actual fishing like you've done.

2. Balance. It seems to me that the Prototype's extra weight is added to the handle and butt - which will make the tip feel lighter relative to the 18. One way to find out is to balance the rod on one's finger so that it stays horizontal. IS the prototype's balance point closer to the butt than the '18? That would be my guess. If that is so, and you like that prototype balance more, some people would add a small bit of weight taped to the butt of the '18 and it may balance similarly.

3. Finally, IF the prototype is indeed a bit slower in action than the '18, then I would venture to guess that it will work with spoons and plugs better while the '18 may be better for plastic/lead jigs. Again, all ARM CHAIR theorizing...:) Nothing beats actual experience.

Again, all conjecture. Been enjoying all the posts here about the various pieces of equipment you guys have!

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:57 am

ultralight wrote:Craigthor, GREAT pics and report. Almost don't need to get the rods to measure myself....:)

Figure I'll like to your first fishing report:
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=80437

So my CONJECTURE - just guess work here in my comments.

1. It is hard for me to imagine something more crisp than the 18 Corto given its stiffness to weight ratio. So I wonder if your comment about the prototype as being more 'crisp' is due to it actually being less power and being a bit slower in action - both of which loads more for a given lure weight.

Regarding power, if both are loaded with the same weight - say 8 ounces, a crisper rod generally would bend less but I wonder if the prototype actually would bend more than the 18 (tip top would sit closer to the ground if rod is held horizontal) and also bend more through the blank being perhaps slower. I'm just guessing here - the 18 Corto is so stiff for the weight that I find it hard to imagine Olympicwill make another UL that has even greater power.

Again, I am just conjecturing - nothing beats actual fishing like you've done.

2. Balance. It seems to me that the Prototype's extra weight is added to the handle and butt - which will make the tip feel lighter relative to the 18. One way to find out is to balance the rod on one's finger so that it stays horizontal. IS the prototype's balance point closer to the butt than the '18? That would be my guess. If that is so, and you like that prototype balance more, some people would add a small bit of weight taped to the butt of the '18 and it may balance similarly.

3. Finally, IF the prototype is indeed a bit slower in action than the '18, then I would venture to guess that it will work with spoons and plugs better while the '18 may be better for plastic/lead jigs. Again, all ARM CHAIR theorizing...:) Nothing beats actual experience.

Again, all conjecture. Been enjoying all the posts here about the various pieces of equipment you guys have!
Here are some comparison pictures that should help, profile wise with 24oz tied to the end they are very similar. The Prototype is in the back the ‘18 Corto in the front. Also, a reel less balance test showing where the balance point is at. Along with that you can see the difference with where the reel would sit compared to the other rod. With the ‘18 Corto and my ‘18 Exist the balance point is about 1-1.5” infront of the reel seat. With the Prototype and the ‘18 Exist the balance point is right at the front of the locknut to blank transistion. Don’t mind the messy house fishing is more important today.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Got a few hours out on the water today, not sure how these rods that are so similar are so different at the same time. The ‘18 Corto is very much on the UL spectrum near the top in both reaction and casting. The Nuovo Prototype is more like described in the L spectrum though towards the bottom of that spectrum. Balance for me is still definitely better with the Prototype and casting was a tiny more precise though it would be splitting hairs.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Craigthor wrote:Got a few hours out on the water today, not sure how these rods that are so similar are so different at the same time. The ‘18 Corto is very much on the UL spectrum near the top in both reaction and casting. The Nuovo Prototype is more like described in the L spectrum though towards the bottom of that spectrum. Balance for me is still definitely better with the Prototype and casting was a tiny more precise though it would be splitting hairs.
How about sensitivity?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:53 pm

zodiak311 wrote:
Craigthor wrote:Got a few hours out on the water today, not sure how these rods that are so similar are so different at the same time. The ‘18 Corto is very much on the UL spectrum near the top in both reaction and casting. The Nuovo Prototype is more like described in the L spectrum though towards the bottom of that spectrum. Balance for me is still definitely better with the Prototype and casting was a tiny more precise though it would be splitting hairs.
How about sensitivity?
You can feel everything with with both. The Prototype for me has the heads up on lite bite feels. I was feeling every little tap from even tiny 4” fish, every rock that I would bump over and every little reaction on a retrieve.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Good read and pics.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:08 pm

Greetings Craigthor,

Just got back after a long (good) day at church and then seeing this post.

Wow! - not sure if i should just thank you but also feel bad for putting you through all that work. That's a lot of effort you went through - setting things up, taking photos, posting, and responding. I did not mean to put you through all of that! A million thank you!

From the pics, it does seem that the balance of the Prototype is shifted more towards the butt - so if you tap a bit of extra weight (say 3 grams) on the butt of the Corto, it may have similar balance. Looking the components, it does look like Prototype's extra weight (more metal trim & longer grip section) is put towards the rear for a particular type of balance. Good job on their part.

Looking at the action, they are very similar but the '18 looks like it is a bit more tip fast and the Prototype is a wee bit more gradual - but that could just be how the weight is suspended.

Do have one final question - do not want to put you through another round of photos and posting, but a simply flexing of the top 1/3 would do. Are you saying that the Prototype actually is STIFFER than the '18 given that it is more 'L' than 'UL'? If so, I am truly surprised. The '18 is aready very high power for UL. Wow - very efficient design by Olympic. (I ask as the bottles are touching the ground so I'm not sure how much 'lift' each of the rod is doing in the pics - one could be lifting 4 oz and another 8 oz but both bottles are on the ground.)

Thanks again Craigthor. This has been a most interesting journey dialoguing with you and the likes of Alphahawk.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 am

ultralight wrote:Greetings Craigthor,

Just got back after a long (good) day at church and then seeing this post.

Wow! - not sure if i should just thank you but also feel bad for putting you through all that work. That's a lot of effort you went through - setting things up, taking photos, posting, and responding. I did not mean to put you through all of that! A million thank you!

From the pics, it does seem that the balance of the Prototype is shifted more towards the butt - so if you tap a bit of extra weight (say 3 grams) on the butt of the Corto, it may have similar balance. Looking the components, it does look like Prototype's extra weight (more metal trim & longer grip section) is put towards the rear for a particular type of balance. Good job on their part.

Looking at the action, they are very similar but the '18 looks like it is a bit more tip fast and the Prototype is a wee bit more gradual - but that could just be how the weight is suspended.

Do have one final question - do not want to put you through another round of photos and posting, but a simply flexing of the top 1/3 would do. Are you saying that the Prototype actually is STIFFER than the '18 given that it is more 'L' than 'UL'? If so, I am truly surprised. The '18 is aready very high power for UL. Wow - very efficient design by Olympic. (I ask as the bottles are touching the ground so I'm not sure how much 'lift' each of the rod is doing in the pics - one could be lifting 4 oz and another 8 oz but both bottles are on the ground.)

Thanks again Craigthor. This has been a most interesting journey dialoguing with you and the likes of Alphahawk.
The top sections flex very similarly the ‘18 Corto maybe a bit more so, the bottom sections are very different. The Prototype butt section is about 3mm wider across which lends to the increased power and mroe gradual flex.

I probably won’t keep either of these as for where I fish they provide a bit more power then I’m after and remove some of the fun factor.