Anyone make spinning rods out of glass fly rod blanks?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone make spinning rods out of glass fly rod blanks?

Post by Craigthor » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:17 am

Thinking it would be fun to fish a glass UL rod not sure I want to invest $700+ to import one out of Japan. Wondering if anyone has experience in doing such and what to look for.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone make spinning rods out of glass fly rod blanks?

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:20 am

There is an old company called Kencor that builds ultralight glass trout rods out of blanks that were similar to fly rod blanks. Here is an old TT review:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkencor4.html
They were a custom quality rod that we used to sell in a Turner's Outdoorsman tackle shop that I worked in way back in the late 80's. I saw some in a shop just a few years ago. These rods might give you some ideas. You can probably find an old one on ebay to try for cheap to see if it is worth the effort to pursue a similar build. I'm not sure if they are still in business.
The tips are really loose and whippy. You can cast a 1/32 oz. mini jig a long way with 2lb. test.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 am

Unfortunately they are all being considered vintage and $190-300, at that price I’ll save my pennies.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:45 am

Craigthor wrote:Unfortunately they are all being considered vintage and $190-300, at that price I’ll save my pennies.
That sucks. I know the guys that have them love them. They have a cult following in Socal. I would ask on rodbuilding.org about blanks. There are a lot more guys on that site in the know.