G1 Duralumin Drive Gear

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
WEBBY005383
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

G1 Duralumin Drive Gear

Post by WEBBY005383 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:31 am

Anyone have an issues with these gears? should I be concerned with the longevity of duralumin vs brass?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: G1 Duralumin Drive Gear

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:57 am

WEBBY005383 wrote:Anyone have an issues with these gears? should I be concerned with the longevity of duralumin vs brass?
The Steez A and Steez SV TW seem to hold up well. I was worried about this, bought one in XH (8 ratio) and it has been fine. Many people replied and gave me their thoughts, only a few had actually replaced the gears and they were fishing hard with 20lb fluorocarbon and flipping/pulling big fish through thick cover. The few that had replaced them just said they did because the gears weren't quite what they used to be and did still function; they didn't have chipped teeth or anything, just weren't as smooth as new.

Another reel I have used with aluminum gears (not sure if G1 Duralumin) is the SS/SV and it seems to hold up well for me cranking mid/shallow cranks with 12lb fluorocarbon.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 am

Plenty of Doyo made reels going strong that had Duralumin gears in them. I service quite a few to this day.
<")))><{

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 am

Maybe. Aluminum gears on some reels are geary out of the box and that is just the price to pay for light weight. On others the gears are incredibly smooth but lose this smoothness over time with use. At some point a flagship reel with aluminum gears becomes less smooth and refined feeling than the lower end brass gear reels that it was smoother when new. All of my Alphas are smoother than any of my non tws Steez reels. Alphas played the long game. Who's smooth and refined now.

WEBBY005383
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by WEBBY005383 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:07 pm

will the new more than gears fit into a steez a or steez tw sv?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:24 pm

I don't believe the Steez A and Steez SV TW gear sets are interchangable...didn't fact check that but I thought I read that. I have a few of both A's and SV TW's. Had to replace the gear set on just 1 but I use it for flipping/pitching jigs in wood /w heavy fluoro. Knew it would happen, didn't care though..Last 2 full years doing that so that's a win for what I expected. Love the reel to death. All my others are still as butter smooth as they were when I got them over a year ago and get used heavily. Even if the morethan gears were interchangeable, I wouldn't swap them.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:02 pm

iabass8 wrote:I don't believe the Steez A and Steez SV TW gear sets are interchangable...didn't fact check that but I thought I read that. I have a few of both A's and SV TW's. Had to replace the gear set on just 1 but I use it for flipping/pitching jigs in wood /w heavy fluoro. Knew it would happen, didn't care though..Last 2 full years doing that so that's a win for what I expected. Love the reel to death. All my others are still as butter smooth as they were when I got them over a year ago and get used heavily. Even if the morethan gears were interchangeable, I wouldn't swap them.
As far as interchangeable gears go. The Steez SV TW gears will fit in a Steez A but need to change the main shaft to fit the drag plates as the Steez A shaft is set up with O-rings for a sealed drag. The Steez A gears need to be honed down a little to fit under the side plate of the Steez SV TW as the MG side plate is a little thicker than the alloy plate of the Steez A. Also working on fitting OG zillion gears into a Steez A.
Morethan PE 1000 gears should fit the Steez A as they share the same body but only the 8.6 Ratio gears are brass, the 7.1's are the same G1 alloy as Steez A.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:52 pm

LowRange wrote:Maybe. Aluminum gears on some reels are geary out of the box and that is just the price to pay for light weight. On others the gears are incredibly smooth but lose this smoothness over time with use. At some point a flagship reel with aluminum gears becomes less smooth and refined feeling than the lower end brass gear reels that it was smoother when new. All of my Alphas are smoother than any of my non tws Steez reels. Alphas played the long game. Who's smooth and refined now.
For the record, most JDM Alphas reels have duralumin gears, not brass. The newest SV sub-set of reels and the Finesse Custom are brass, but the OG purple, Type F and R-edition all came with aluminum gearing. That being said, both my Type F reels are still super-smooth and I have had them for 5 and 7 yrs now. Regular maintenance will keep most any well-built reel smooth, even one that has 40# braid and a locked-down drag for pitching jigs into heavy wood cover, like one of my Type F is set up. FWIW, I have owned several non-TWS Steez(and still own 3). Out of 15 or so, I only had one that needed new gears, and it was like that when I bought it used from the boards. All the others stayed smooth over the long haul, for me, anyway.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:Maybe. Aluminum gears on some reels are geary out of the box and that is just the price to pay for light weight. On others the gears are incredibly smooth but lose this smoothness over time with use. At some point a flagship reel with aluminum gears becomes less smooth and refined feeling than the lower end brass gear reels that it was smoother when new. All of my Alphas are smoother than any of my non tws Steez reels. Alphas played the long game. Who's smooth and refined now.
For the record, most JDM Alphas reels have duralumin gears, not brass. The newest SV sub-set of reels and the Finesse Custom are brass, but the OG purple, Type F and R-edition all came with aluminum gearing. That being said, both my Type F reels are still super-smooth and I have had them for 5 and 7 yrs now. Regular maintenance will keep most any well-built reel smooth, even one that has 40# braid and a locked-down drag for pitching jigs into heavy wood cover, like one of my Type F is set up. FWIW, I have owned several non-TWS Steez(and still own 3). Out of 15 or so, I only had one that needed new gears, and it was like that when I bought it used from the boards. All the others stayed smooth over the long haul, for me, anyway.
Almost all of my Alphas have brass gears so it is easy to forget that most are aluminum. With both my Alphas and Steez as soon as I feel the gears the gear sets come out and are replaced with brass. I have zero tollerance for gear feel in my reels. Only two Alphas remain with aluminum gears. My Zonda that gets next to no use and oddly enough a used Ito that the knob bushing are so wore out the knobs buzz loudly when flicked indicating the reel has a lot of miles on it. It is only slightly gritty feeling compared to my brass geared Alphas but not to the point of being geary or even noisy.