What's next for Shimano???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's next for Shimano???

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:22 am

johnD wrote:Vid on the SLX MGL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZlC13p0vNA
Oh no! The flat bill hat has made it to Japan. ](*,)
<")))><{

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:27 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
johnD wrote:Vid on the SLX MGL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZlC13p0vNA
Oh no! The flat bill hat has made it to Japan. ](*,)
Terrible situation. :doh:

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Any reports that the new Antares is coming to the US? I know the current Antares is being discontinued.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:28 am

I am patiently waiting on an update to the Core series. The 100 MG7 and 50 MG7 were a couple of my all time favorites. I would be a fan of them following what daiwa has done with the Steez. Give us magnesium and aluminum options for the Core. Brass gearing in both with 6,7,8 ratios. I would also like for them to include an aluminum Core with brass gears,deeper spool in a 5.5 gear ratio for deep cranking \:D/

I think the core series could benefit from something similar to the JDM Steez semi order system. It would not be for everyone. Build a core for the masses then give the tackle junkies a way to customize their reel. Example: pick your frame material, spool and capacity. Handle length/style/knob type. Gear ratio, etc. it would be a cool option to build your own.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 am

Scuba Scott wrote:I am patiently waiting on an update to the Core series. The 100 MG7 and 50 MG7 were a couple of my all time favorites. I would be a fan of them following what daiwa has done with the Steez. Give us magnesium and aluminum options for the Core. Brass gearing in both with 6,7,8 ratios. I would also like for them to include an aluminum Core with brass gears,deeper spool in a 5.5 gear ratio for deep cranking \:D/

I think the core series could benefit from something similar to the JDM Steez semi order system. It would not be for everyone. Build a core for the masses then give the tackle junkies a way to customize their reel. Example: pick your frame material, spool and capacity. Handle length/style/knob type. Gear ratio, etc. it would be a cool option to build your own.
Think about this though. The Core was the USDM version of the Metanium, which we already have.
<")))><{

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:02 am

Compare size of "new" and "old" Antares: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsuL62rATFy/

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:57 am

Anybody follow ichiban tackle on instagram? He put up a few pictures of the new stuff. The Scorpion is more of a cany apple red, and shiney. The black, is actually like a gun metal grey. Looks better in that picture. But still Revo Rocket like.
<")))><{

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:34 am

Much nicer looking on that picture, color is closer to scorpion 1000, 1500 models.
Can't figure out, it is based on curado K frame? Diffident color and 150 size MGL spool?
Antares looks amazing to me.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:56 am

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:37 am

Thank you for sharing.

Clearly Scorpion is Curado K based, better MGL spool, a bit smaller handle knobs, I bet three will be at least 1 bearing per knob. Nice upgrade reel for those who like curado K.

Antares reminds me Core 100 ergonomics, especially from palming cover side, beautiful reel. For CORE 100 enthusiasts like myself- here is your upgraded core 100 :D
One thing I don't understand, if Antares frame is still made of magnesium, why such a small reel is still relatively heavy at 7.8 oz?
Even with all the additional bearings, shouldn't it be around 7.2 ish?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:54 am

PBP wrote:Thank you for sharing.

Clearly Scorpion is Curado K based, better MGL spool, a bit smaller handle knobs, I bet three will be at least 1 bearing per knob. Nice upgrade reel for those who like curado K.

Antares reminds me Core 100 ergonomics, especially from palming cover side, beautiful reel. For CORE 100 enthusiasts like myself- here is your upgraded core 100 :D
One thing I don't understand, if Antares frame is still made of magnesium, why such a small reel is still relatively heavy at 7.8 oz?
Even with all the additional bearings, shouldn't it be around 7.2 ish?
I would guess the other sideplates are aluminum.
<")))><{

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Loafer wrote:Compare size of "new" and "old" Antares: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsuL62rATFy/
The pic is not truly accurate. See how much bigger around the rod handle on the right looks compared to the one on the left. The camera is not looking straight down.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:59 pm

damn , I need that scorpion mgl.

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09 pm

joekaz wrote:
Loafer wrote:Compare size of "new" and "old" Antares: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsuL62rATFy/
The pic is not truly accurate. See how much bigger around the rod handle on the right looks compared to the one on the left. The camera is not looking straight down.
Yep, reel on the right is also closer to camera making it look much bigger

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am

New Antares and CC DC: https://youtu.be/5eOafK-9yjA
By the way, reels appeared on digitaka (46 400 and 55 200 JPY).