Tsurinoya Proflex 2 Impression

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Tsurinoya Proflex 2 Impression

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Already got the rod in, a few days ago at that. Shipping was great, quality looks great so far, guides are perfect, reel seat feel superb. Everything looks good. One thing that surprised me though was the rods tip, or last 12 inch or so section. I described it as #2 pencil thin on another post, but I think it is more like fat mechanical pencil lead thin. Really worries me, the second half of the rod is $50 to replace, so at $70 new it is almost worth getting an entire new one. Depending on answers I get, I might step up to a Major Craft or other potentially tougher rod if this one goes.

As far as testing goes, my spool has not arrived yet, so the best reel I had on me to test with was an Alphas SV105 (not AIR) with almost a full spool of 7lb FC Sniper. First lure tested was a 1/16 crappie head with Bob-Gar Baby Shad. Distance was low, 10-12 yards at best, but that is expected with a non-BFS reel with heavier line. Still was impressed with the rod though and even though the tip was limber it handled dragging across the yard and snagging just fine. I just will remember to leave the drag loose and watch for brush/trees. The next lure I tested was a 1/8 crappie head and 3" Easy Shiner, this actually cast pretty well for the reel being used. 15-17 yards was easy and I feel more could have easily been achieved with adjustments and a line change. I only tested for about 20 minutes due to rain and cold, but I can already feel where this rod will be best.

1/16 might come easier with the addition of a BFS spool and lighter line, the rod CAN load this weight though it is the lower end of its rating. 1/8 and 3/32 seem more of the sweet spot though and I figure that is what I will aim for using, 1/8 heads with Baby Shad, 1/8 Road Runners with trailers, 3/32 Decoy Nail Bombs with 3" Easy Shiners, etc. I figure I will still use my 1/16 head Baby Shad go to lure for shorter distance casting, but only time will tell if the 1016 DIY BFS spool allows easier casting of the lighter lures.

I am still wondering about what line to use, I was surprised that a full spool of 7lb fluorocarbon didn't hinder the cast as much as I thought. The problem about using braid for me is the TINY TINY TINY micro guides on this rod. A leader knot is going to stick HARD and potentially damage the tip IMO. So I am asking anyone for advice, is changing from the planned 8lb Sufix 832 to 4-5lb Sunline FC Sniper that big of a deal? Will it deform the spool like Nylon line can? Or will braid and a leader than thin be able to pass through unharmed? I don't have all the parts and pieces in yet to try or I could know how much leader I will need.

Mavn
Angler
Angler

Re: Tsurinoya Proflex 2 Impression

Post by Mavn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 pm

I have a yamaga blanks blue current 71 and I want to say I've used 10lb sufix 832 to 8lb mono leader, but if not then at least 6lb mono. I don't recall having an issue with the connection knot(FG, blood and alberto). I currently use 4lb power pro as a main and have connected that to 10lb big game and again, didn't have any issues. I'm a person who uses longer leaders, around 5-14ft. Yamaga blanks also has a video of their 63 model and the guy uses 0.4PE to a 12lb leader and was casting through the guides with it iirc.

I just tied 4lb pp to 15lb big game as an extreme example, as normal, you feel the tick and the line still goes in and out just fine. Knot used was an Alberto. Keep the braid light and you should be fine. Maybe consider dropping down go 6lb Sufix 832, but I don't think it'd be necessary

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:40 am

I use this rod for 6lb fireline ultra and 10lb mono leader with no problem, just use the FG leader knot. Will cast a 1/8 jig + plastic grub 30m + using a Steez A with a 1012SV G1 or Megabass IS Finesse spool. This rod will handle good sized fish , biggest so far is a 90cm Australian flathead. The build quality is excellent, even the cork is better than that on many much more expensive rods.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 am

Which model did you get?

I only use #4 Fuji micro guides on my rods with Braid and very long leaders (3x rod length) and the FG knot makes all the difference in the world to me

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 am

Strewth wrote:I use this rod for 6lb fireline ultra and 10lb mono leader with no problem, just use the FG leader knot. Will cast a 1/8 jig + plastic grub 30m + using a Steez A with a 1012SV G1 or Megabass IS Finesse spool. This rod will handle good sized fish , biggest so far is a 90cm Australian flathead. The build quality is excellent, even the cork is better than that on many much more expensive rods.
I got the full cork handle, awesome option for a budget BFS rod. I only paid like $70 though, most people say the Proflex 2 used to be closer to $100. I could see where this rod could fight about any fish, as long as that tip section survives.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 am

dennis_rf wrote:Which model did you get?

I only use #4 Fuji micro guides on my rods with Braid and very long leaders (3x rod length) and the FG knot makes all the difference in the world to me

The model I got is the 6'3"UL 2-piece full cork handle. Not sure what size the guides are, but pretty small toward the end. Concerning the other questions, I would really like 6lb Sufix 832, just TackleWarehouse doesn't carry it and I was wanting to use a gift card I had to restock a few lures and buy line for this setup.

Have also considered the Sunline BMS/Invisible from JDM sources in 4, 4.5, or 5 pound ratings...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:43 pm

10# Nanofil green with no leader. That's what I use and love it. I run a uni with 10 wraps to keep it from slipping.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:49 am

LowRange wrote:10# Nanofil green with no leader. That's what I use and love it. I run a uni with 10 wraps to keep it from slipping.
Thanks, have also considered the Sufix Nanobraid which I think is similar but not quite as "flat" as Nanofil in shape.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 pm

I received my Proflex yesterday. I ordered on 1/8/19 so the shipping wasn't bad at all. My only complaint with the transaction is that tracking info would come in spurts (I guess its better than no tracking ;) ), I would get four or five updates all at the same time.

I also purchased a Kuying Teton 662 and fished them both a fair amount at the pond yesterday.

BOTH are GREAT BFS rods. as others have stated, the Teton has more of a mod-fast while the Proflex is a fast taper/action.

Both of them worked great to cast2-4g lures. I was throwing a flick shake and a small lipless (3.5g) and had some success.

The Teton is going to be my reaction bait rod, the Proflex for contact, though both can be interchanged.

I was worried about overall strength, with the Teton I inadvertantly snagged a 3# talapia in the dorsal fin and was able to muscle it to shore to release it unharmed and get my lipless back.
DirtyD64 wrote: One thing that surprised me though was the rods tip, or last 12 inch or so section. I described it as #2 pencil thin on another post, but I think it is more like fat mechanical pencil lead thin. Really worries me...
as far as the Proflex, I started with a 3.5g lipless, first fish was a decent pond bass, it handled the 4# bass like a champ. I routinely catch this size throwing jigs on my MB FMJ rod, with the Proflex, it felt like an 8#er!! 2nd fish was a 1.5# fish. not a bad way to try out the new rods.

I currently have them paired with a Pixy 68R and a Core 50.

https://imgur.com/a/JVuvVse

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:12 am

vishus wrote:I received my Proflex yesterday. I ordered on 1/8/19 so the shipping wasn't bad at all. My only complaint with the transaction is that tracking info would come in spurts (I guess its better than no tracking ;) ), I would get four or five updates all at the same time.

DirtyD64 wrote: One thing that surprised me though was the rods tip, or last 12 inch or so section. I described it as #2 pencil thin on another post, but I think it is more like fat mechanical pencil lead thin. Really worries me...
as far as the Proflex, I started with a 3.5g lipless, first fish was a decent pond bass, it handled the 4# bass like a champ. I routinely catch this size throwing jigs on my MB FMJ rod, with the Proflex, it felt like an 8#er!! 2nd fish was a 1.5# fish. not a bad way to try out the new rods.

Nice info, I might still get one myself. My BFS spool for my Zillion SV TW got here today, and it is raining like all hell here. I am going to setup my BFS combo this weekend and try it out if the rain stops or at least get a few pictures. I am trying to find out what line to use on the Proflex, looks like you were using braid???

I just cannot get over how fragile that tip looks and feels on mine...

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Yes, I’m using 1.5PE (15# J-braid grand). I have caughrt about 15 bass between 1.5#-4# (4.18/4.2) over the past couple of days trying out these BFS rods. I have used my PIXY68R, Core50, SOL, Tatula 100 (DIY) spool.

Tough little rods.

Last edited by vishus on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:09 am

vishus wrote:Yes, I’m using 1.5PE (15# J-braid grand). I have caughrt about 15 bass between 1.5#-4# (4.18/4.2) over the past couple of days trying out these BFS rods. I have used my PIXY68R, Core50, SOL, Tatula 100 (DIY) spool.

Tough little rods.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/167662172 ... res/1eywy4
Those are on a Proflex 2 or which rod??? I went with the full cork. I am going to upload some pictures later, the BFS DIY Honeycomb spool I ordered only weighed 8 grams WITH bearing. Think it is 7 grams without or so, unfortunately my cheap scale rounds to the nearest gram. Should have my 8lb Sufix in on Wednesday and be fishing by Friday, got some heavy snow this weekend.

Also meant to ask, which version of the Teton do you have??? Light or UL?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:51 am

How fast is the Profelx 2 - is it Volkey BFS fast ?
I have considered it for trout fishing with treble hook moving baits (esp. Inline spinners), but prefer moderate-fast action for that kind of fishing...

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:03 pm

Not sure about the Volkey BFS, haven’t seen one.

The Kuying Teton is a TTC-662L.

The Tsurinoya Proflex II is a C632UL.

Both cast 2g-5g lures very well. I’ve been using a 4.5g lipless (scale weight)from basspro for the bass at my pond.

The Teton is more of a mod-fast and is a bit heavier action than the Proflex, the Proflex is a fast action with a UL rod. It’s like having a trout rod with a bass taper! Both work well for contact and reaction baits, I really like the Proflex, the carbon tip is crazy thin and super reactive, it is a FUN rod that is super light and can do everything I want for bass and trout. (I was concerned that it was soo thin, but I have landed two bass over 4# and a couple of 3# tilapia and about a dozen other bass over the past three days)

Last edited by vishus on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:20 pm

This bass was one of the smaller ones at about 1.8#, the lipless is 4.5g ( anything smaller and the bass would just ignore it, this matches the smallest of the tilapia fry in the lake)

With 1.5PE/15# J-braid grand the Proflex 632UL/PX68R is a tough combo to beat for “FUN”.