Megabass Destroyer Addermine vs G Loomis NRX 852S JWR

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Megabass Destroyer Addermine vs G Loomis NRX 852S JWR

Post by Uknowme » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Need to pick one of these rods. Has to be a person on here that has tried both and can give me an opinion. I only carry one spinning rod. I will usually use it for bottom contact but I like the idea of versatility. My previous rod was a Dobyns Champion XP 682SF. The reel is the current gen Shimano Stradic 2500.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Destroyer Addermine vs G Loomis NRX 852S JWR

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:05 am

I don’t have the MB rod but I do have the NRX 852. Super versatile if you are just needing an “all rounder”. I heard the MB rod is the same in terms of versatility. There probably isn’t a right or wrong option as you picked two really good performing and versatile high end rods.

There are a few on here that have both as I recall reading it. Maybe try a search if no one chimes in.

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 am

I have two Addermine's and love them! Have never owned the NRX spinning rod so cannot comment on them. The Addermine is very versatile as I have used everything from drop shots, smaller 110 jr's, even crappie tubes on 1/16 ounce head. Great rod, you'll be happy with it.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:18 pm

I own both. If you can only take one i would suggest going with the addermine. it is more versatile and better for true finesse tactics like neds, open hook dropshots, shad raps/jerkbaits and finesse swimbaits. the 852s is better for bottom contact and weightless presentations, such as shakey heads, neko rigs, wacky senkos, etc.

Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Post by Uknowme » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:27 pm

+1 for the Addermine, it’s a fantastic rod, versatile, not to mention a work of art!

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Both are great rods and would serve you well, but you stated you are mostly looking for bottom contact.
For that I would lean heavily toward the NRX 852. It is what it was designed for. If you would be ok with a softer tip, the Addermine would be a little more flexible.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:27 pm

The Addermine will be my next spinning rod

Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Post by Uknowme » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 pm

Blacktail 8541 wrote:Both are great rods and would serve you well, but you stated you are mostly looking for bottom contact.
For that I would lean heavily toward the NRX 852. It is what it was designed for. If you would be ok with a softer tip, the Addermine would be a little more flexible.
You are correct I did say that and ultimately it will be used for primarily bottom contact. I have never had this much trouble choosing between two rods. I own several casting rods in both brands and I think they are both great. I really do like versatility though. Two questions:
1) What techniques does the 852S excel at and what secondary techniques will it get by on?
2) Same question above but with the Addermine.

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Uknowme wrote:
Blacktail 8541 wrote:Both are great rods and would serve you well, but you stated you are mostly looking for bottom contact.
You are correct I did say that and ultimately it will be used for primarily bottom contact. I have never had this much trouble choosing between two rods. I own several casting rods in both brands and I think they are both great. I really do like versatility though. Two questions:
1) What techniques does the 852S excel at and what secondary techniques will it get by on?
The 852 will do weightless senkos and other worms. Neko rigs, Light texas rigs up to 1/4 + bait ( some might go to 3/8ths )
and shakey heads.
Secondary. Light paddle tails, Drop shot ( I think the tip is a little to fast), light cranks, Jerk baits.
I'm sure I missed some, but others will chime in.
The Addermine Drop shot, jerk baits, small cranks, weightless worms, other finesse applications.
Secondary. It will do all the primary of the 852, but in my opinion not as well because of the slower tip

Every one has their own opinions, I do not have the adermine but have fished a friends.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Blacktail 8541 wrote:
Uknowme wrote:
The 852 will do weightless senkos and other worms. Neko rigs, Light texas rigs up to 1/4 + bait ( some might go to 3/8ths )
and shakey heads.
Secondary. Light paddle tails, Drop shot ( I think the tip is a little to fast), light cranks, Jerk baits.
I'm sure I missed some, but others will chime in.
The Addermine Drop shot, jerk baits, small cranks, weightless worms, other finesse applications.
Secondary. It will do all the primary of the 852, but in my opinion not as well because of the slower tip

Every one has their own opinions, I do not have the adermine but have fished a friends.
I just sold an Addermine and I liked it the best for Neko rigs. I just liked my 7'6 MML Steez AGS better. The Addermine wouldn't be my first choice for a drop shot rod. I haven't tried an 852 NRX to compare them to.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:50 pm

I have been looking at the Addermine for some time and am about ready to pull the trigger. I want to use it for wacky senkos, open water t-rigged senkos, swamp crawlers both weighted wacky and 1/8oz shakeyheads, and Ned rig stuff. I am haveing a hard time getting a handle on how powerful the rod is, it seems like a pretty wide range of opinion.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:19 pm

I would say it's between a medium power and a medium light power G Loomis...1.5 power. This is why it's such as versatile rod.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 am

HobeyBaker wrote:I would say it's between a medium power and a medium light power G Loomis...1.5 power. This is why it's such as versatile rod.
That is exactly what I am looking for. No idea why I am so hot to buy a rod in the middle of winter, but every day it gets harder to resist.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:14 am

Houndfish wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:I would say it's between a medium power and a medium light power G Loomis...1.5 power. This is why it's such as versatile rod.
That is exactly what I am looking for. No idea why I am so hot to buy a rod in the middle of winter, but every day it gets harder to resist.
I sold mine because it didn't fit my style of fishing. I'm usually fishing open water for smallmouth so I opted to sell it and picked up another Steez AGS 7'6 MML. I don't think there's a better rod out there for spy baits, tubes, etc. I thought the Addermine really excelled dock fishing with wacky senkos.