Tatula SV casting distance.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tatula SV casting distance.

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:32 pm

I spent about 15 hours last week throwing 1/2 oz float setup for steelhead using Tat sv, chronarch mgl, tat ct r, bantam mgl.
The Tat sv throws further with less effort than any of the others. No backlash, smooth as butta.......That being said no back lash on any of them just as long as one does not catch a bush on the back cast.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Mine bombs a frog on a Valdivia with braid. No complaints here.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:20 pm

No complaints on casting distance with my Tat SV or my Zillion TW SVs. They all have aftermarket properly lubed spool bearings installed and I’m happy. I expected and appreciate the control they provide, and still get the distance I need.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:32 am

Kschultz76 wrote:No complaints on casting distance with my Tat SV or my Zillion TW SVs. They all have aftermarket properly lubed spool bearings installed and I’m happy. I expected and appreciate the control they provide, and still get the distance I need.
What type of bearings?

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:51 pm

russ57 wrote:
Kschultz76 wrote:No complaints on casting distance with my Tat SV or my Zillion TW SVs. They all have aftermarket properly lubed spool bearings installed and I’m happy. I expected and appreciate the control they provide, and still get the distance I need.
What type of bearings?
Tat SV has HH ZR bearings, and was supertuned by Bryan at The Tackle Trap, also added levelwind and knob bearings.

Zillion SVs all have ZPIs, and added knob bearings. Will get levelwind bearings first time they go in for service.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:00 am

I wouldn't say sv brake is bad, but with lures that I have thrown with my Daiwas, Magforce Z's has been more enjoyable and better casting. For example Tatula CT type-R and Steez 103 spool especially with HLC spring. OG HLC Zillion was at least with full spool too wild to cast to changing winds. But it's possibly that sv brake is good with lures with not so aerodynamic and not so heavy. But I still consider to like ct type-r more. Let's see next summer.

--

My history of modern Daiwa bass reels is following:

Since 90’s I haven’t fished much other than classical Ambassadeurs (2500, 3600, 6500, 7500, 5500) and some of Pflueger President and Abu GoldMax and some cheap (but working) china reels + small spinning reels. In the middle of something I bought Quantum PT Energy Burner for light jigging. But it did not work there because lack of small adjustments of magnetic brake. That was big disappointment. Otherwise that compact Quantum would be fine reel.

Couple of years ago I encouraged to buy Daiwa Tatula ct type-r. I delighted that compact reel design and how comfortable it was for palming. And I admired how easy that reel was to cast and despite of that how long it casts. But still I felt that this reel restricts my creativity. Because I liked that relatively cheap Tatula so much I decided to invest a little more expensive reel. I decided to buy sv tw Zillion for better casting properties, especially for light weight lures. But for a moment I was disappointed because in my use sv tw Zillion wasn’t any better casting machine than Tatula ct type-r. Luckily that feeling went soon away because I found tuning spools (and 103 spool) to sv tw zillion. Currently I’m very happy that I have purchased sv tw Zillion. And maybe someday I still can invent use for a standard spool of it.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:34 pm

I feel like my distance might be slightly less than my non sv reels, but not enough to make a big deal out of. And I use my SVs for accuracy casting anyways