Megabass Destroyer Addermine vs G Loomis NRX 852S JWR

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Re: Megabass Destroyer Addermine vs G Loomis NRX 852S JWR

Post by Uknowme » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:33 am

Lots of great information everyone. Thanks for everything. Houndfish I feel your pain. I am in Michigan and at is -40 with the wind chill today. However, all I have done recently is wonder which rod I want to buy and how badly I need it now. :lol:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Uknowme wrote:Lots of great information everyone. Thanks for everything. Houndfish I feel your pain. I am in Michigan and at is -40 with the wind chill today. However, all I have done recently is wonder which rod I want to buy and how badly I need it now. :lol:
Around here we are not iced out 100% of the winter so there is always hope that few warm days in a row will thaw shallow ponds out, so I could need the new rod on short notice!
HobeyBaker wrote: I thought the Addermine really excelled dock fishing with wacky senkos.
That is good to hear, wacky rigged senkos are the main presentation I am looking to throw on it.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:49 pm

.[/quote]That is good to hear, wacky rigged senkos are the main presentation I am looking to throw on it.[/quote]

What size Senko sir ?

I would disagree that the Addermine is not a drop shot rod. Perhaps not in the traditional sense of vertical presentations but it's pretty darn good and wouldn't change a thing about it for drop swimming a 3" Hazedong Shad at a distance. Admittedly I do not utilize "all around spins". The Simoom, A-Mart DGS, House of Finesse, Whipsnake and '15 Hedgehog all fill my smallmouth niches.

What size (overall weight and hook size) "Ned" are you gents throwing that are wondering about the Addermine ? I may be able to help.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:27 pm

TravisNY wrote:.
That is good to hear, wacky rigged senkos are the main presentation I am looking to throw on it.[/quote]

What size Senko sir ?

I would disagree that the Addermine is not a drop shot rod. Perhaps not in the traditional sense of vertical presentations but it's pretty darn good and wouldn't change a thing about it for drop swimming a 3" Hazedong Shad at a distance. Admittedly I do not utilize "all around spins". The Simoom, A-Mart DGS, House of Finesse, Whipsnake and '15 Hedgehog all fill my smallmouth niches.

What size (overall weight and hook size) "Ned" are you gents throwing that are wondering about the Addermine ? I may be able to help.[/quote]

If I were to cast and retrieve drop shot, I would use one my 7'6 Steez AGS MML rods. The Steez excels in everything besides vertical drop shot and docks (due to length). I use a GLX 820 DSR for vertical drop shot.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:39 pm

TravisNY wrote: What size Senko sir ?
5"

I have a F2.5 XXX Black Themis and while I know the power-levels are not super consistent across different lines, I am thinking/hoping the F3.5 Addermine should have the power needed for them.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:39 pm

Does the Addermine have a deeper bend than the NRX?

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Houndfish wrote:
5"

I have a F2.5 XXX Black Themis and while I know the power-levels are not super consistent across different lines, I am thinking/hoping the F3.5 Addermine should have the power needed for them.
That's more of a hunk of plastic than I would throw on it sir. If cut in half and soaked in warm water to leach the salt out then married to a light mushroom then you're more in that rods wheelhouse. In my hands.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:19 pm

smallies wrote:Does the Addermine have a deeper bend than the NRX?
Yes sir it does.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:30 am

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting the addermine but was curious how you guys hold your rods and reels.
I hold mine right handed with the reel foot between my middle finger and ring finger. Two fingers in front. Two behind.
It seems like the handle design favors more fingers in front of the reel. Let me know how you guys do it.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 am

mrpao wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting the addermine but was curious how you guys hold your rods and reels.
I hold mine right handed with the reel foot between my middle finger and ring finger. Two fingers in front. Two behind.
It seems like the handle design favors more fingers in front of the reel. Let me know how you guys do it.
For all of my finesse work I grip with the heel of my hand on the fore grip where the blank hits the handle. Underside of the blank resting on my middle finger and index. Thumb extended and on the blank. For many many years I favored Tennessee handles and taped right where the blank met the handle to facilitate that grip. For my small top water and jerk bait uses with the Ronin I grip in the manner you describe.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:54 pm

mrpao wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting the addermine but was curious how you guys hold your rods and reels.
You'll be fine. I probably hold the rod like that half the time and it was comfortable either way to me.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:43 am

I gave in over the weekend:

It's going to be warm for the next two days and I am pumped to get out with this thing. Even if the bass are not willing I think I can at least get a pickerel or two on it.

Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Post by Uknowme » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Houndfish wrote:I gave in over the weekend:

It's going to be warm for the next two days and I am pumped to get out with this thing. Even if the bass are not willing I think I can at least get a pickerel or two on it.
Thats exactly what I am putting on the Addermine if I chose that route. Sweet looking. Wish I could pull the trigger either way. Still several months away from fishing here in Michigan

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Bought an Addermine this winter, yet to get on the water. Thinking of adding a NRX 852S. Which is better for shakey heads and which is better for drop shots? The Steez AGS 7 1/2" has been highly recommended also.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:26 am

Houndfish wrote:
5"

I throw 5” weightless senkos on my Addermine with 8lb test Tatsu, no problem. Rod handles them well in my experience. I really love my Addermine.