Megabass Destroyer Javelin?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Megabass Destroyer Javelin?

Post by mthao105 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:55 am

Hey TT,

I've been looking for a high end versatile "do everything" rod. I've been eyeing the Javelin since the destroyer line first came out and I was wondering if this rod would fit the bill. I've done some searches and it seems like this model is among the most versatile in the series.

For those that have fished it, is it truly a do everything rod? Is it more suited for bottom contact or for moving baits? What techniques have you done successfully on it?

Thank you for all the help!

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass Destroyer Javelin?

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:22 am

This was my first of many Megabass rods and is still one of my favorites and most versitile. It was the only high end rod I owned for about 3 months and all I used. I have used it extensivly for bottom contact, lipless cranks, mid-depth cranks, swim jigs, smaller swimbaits (<1.5oz), chatterbaits and even heavier neds. It excels in distance casting and the length facilitates hooksets in deeper water. The guides are big enough to go braid to leader, the handle is short enough to work a jerkbait or topwater in a pinch. It also holds it's own in pitching and flipping in moderate to light cover.
It would not be an ideal rod for close quarters bank fishing or pond fishing.
I've got mine paired with an OG Morethan and it's a match made in heaven, both athetically and functionally. I would suggest pairing with a 7oz+ reel as it is somewhat tip heavy.
rsz_morethanjavelin (1).jpg
rsz_morethanjavelin (1).jpg (198.55 KiB) Viewed 9708 times

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:43 am

In case you haven't seen it... Megabass Destroyer Javelin Review
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Not sure how I managed to miss the TT review haha. Sounds like the rod is what I'm looking for.

Uknowme
Angler
Angler

Post by Uknowme » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:04 pm

I concur the rod can do a lot of techniques. Very versatile. I used it all last season and was very impressed.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:15 pm

How would the rod fit in a lineup of:

844 GLX
843 GLX
894 NRX
893 NRX
110 Special

I'm looking for something to handle bigger crank baits and I like faster than normal action rods for that.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Javelin would be a 893.7 IMO :lol: but with a med fast taper unlike the NRX. Yes it is a versatile rod that can do Texas rig, senkos, chatterbaits, and deep diving 1oz cranks. I use mine mostly for launching swim jigs and chatterbaits to cover water. Tried some Arashi 18ft divers and handles it fine. Enough bend that it can fish cranks but it's definitely not traditional moderate crank rods. Like the review a bit on the tip heavy side but keep in mind it is a 7'5 MH/H power rod.

Mine paired with a Club M for moving single bait lures.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:29 pm

Bass1980 wrote:Javelin would be a 893.7 IMO :lol: but with a med fast taper unlike the NRX. Yes it is a versatile rod that can do Texas rig, senkos, chatterbaits, and deep diving 1oz cranks. I use mine mostly for launching swim jigs and chatterbaits to cover water. Tried some Arashi 18ft divers and handles it fine. Enough bend that it can fish cranks but it's definitely not traditional moderate crank rods. Like the review a bit on the tip heavy side but keep in mind it is a 7'5 MH/H power rod.

That's an awesome combo! Thanks for the feedback. How does the javelin feel compared to the 893 in terms of tip heaviness? I have the nrx 893, but there's no of way of me checking out the javelin before buying.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:34 pm

Bass1980 wrote:Javelin would be a 893.7 IMO :lol: but with a med fast taper unlike the NRX. Yes it is a versatile rod that can do Texas rig, senkos, chatterbaits, and deep diving 1oz cranks. I use mine mostly for launching swim jigs and chatterbaits to cover water. Tried some Arashi 18ft divers and handles it fine. Enough bend that it can fish cranks but it's definitely not traditional moderate crank rods. Like the review a bit on the tip heavy side but keep in mind it is a 7'5 MH/H power rod.

How bent over was the rod when throwing the Arashi 18? I throw a lot of DT14 and DT16 and rip them through milfoil. It would need to have some backbone left to do this.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Yes! The Javelin is a fantastic do everything rod if you like a longer rod. It is my choice as a do everything rod and the one I take if I am going to a pond or on a float tube or small boat only taking one rod. It is perfect for single hook moving baits like a chatterbait, spinnerbait, or buzzbait. I also really like it as a bottom contact jig / worm rod. It works well for bigger topwaters as well. It has a soft enough tip you can cast under 3/8 but is most in the zone in the 3/8 to 1 oz zone. It is great for bigger crankbaits with size 2 or bigger hooks as well. A softer rod is better for your smaller to mid size cranks with size 4 or 6 hooks but the Javelin will still work and work much better than about any other rod that works great for bottom contact and bigger single hook moving baits.

Yes its a bit tip heavy but way more balanced than most 7ft 5 MH rods! Also very sensitive. Fantastic rod in that it feels crisp and sensitive for bottom contact with the power for a good hookset but then loads up nicely for moving baits and gives when a big fish surges to keep them pinned. This is the only rod in my arsenal I think highly enough to have 2 of! Well I might have 2 of the Nautilus if still in production but this is a very similar rod.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Probably more tip heavy than a 893c but then again it is heavier and stronger. To be honest I didn't feel like the rod was too stressed launching Arashi 18 to my surprise. I did feel that way with my Nautilus. However for cranks 18-20+ I use my Phase 3 seven eleven. I was just testing the Javelins limit. Feels like a slightly smaller seven eleven.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:24 am

I think I'm sold. Chris is throwing a MB Deep Six on the Javelin in this video.

https://youtu.be/KhcR1WEg9xw

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 am

The Javelin is a phenomenal rod. I use mine for everything from a 5" Senko to a 6XD, swim jigs, chatter/spinner baits, large jerk baits, larger square bills, single hook swim baits, etc. It's extremely versatile, light, sensitive, and powerful. The feedback we've gotten from customers has been overwhelmingly positive...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:09 pm

bronzefly wrote:The Javelin is a phenomenal rod. I use mine for everything from a 5" Senko to a 6XD, swim jigs, chatter/spinner baits, large jerk baits, larger square bills, single hook swim baits, etc. It's extremely versatile, light, sensitive, and powerful. The feedback we've gotten from customers has been overwhelmingly positive...
Is the javelin a better rod for chatter baits than the daemos?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Dustys60 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:The Javelin is a phenomenal rod. I use mine for everything from a 5" Senko to a 6XD, swim jigs, chatter/spinner baits, large jerk baits, larger square bills, single hook swim baits, etc. It's extremely versatile, light, sensitive, and powerful. The feedback we've gotten from customers has been overwhelmingly positive...
Is the javelin a better rod for chatter baits than the daemos?
Both are fine rods for the chatter bait, it's a personal preference. The Daemos has a faster action than the Javelin. If I'm fishing open water making very long casts, I'll opt for the Javelin, but if I'm target casting closer quarters, the Daemos is the choice.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap