Aldebaran MG7 anti-reverse bearing/inner tube

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
badenglishihave
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Aldebaran MG7 anti-reverse bearing/inner tube

Post by badenglishihave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:59 am

I got my hand on a couple of used Aldebaran MG7 reels (left hand) and noticed that on one of them there was a clacking sound when I induced backplay in the handle. I took it apart and found tons of old/sludgy black grease on the outside of the roller clutch inner tube and all inside the roller clutch anti-reverse bearing. I cleaned these up really well and it seems to have alleviated the noise but there's still some clacking compared to my other one that performs nicely.

My questions are:

- Does the ARB anti-reverse bearing BNT2949 fit the Aldebaran MG7? I found a thread where somebody got it for the Core 51MG7 which I believe is the identical US version but not positive if all the bearings are the same

- Does wear on the roller clutch inner tube (BNT3630 on the Core 51MG7) affect performance of the anti-reverse? I have other old reels I have serviced where the tube looks like it's in great shape but the tube from this reel looks worn and the finish has been rubbed away (see picture)
IMG_20190123_201227.jpg
inner tube
IMG_20190123_201227.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 7416 times
Thanks!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Aldebaran MG7 anti-reverse bearing/inner tube

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:30 am

If I replace the a/r bearing, I always replace the sleeve, also. Mixing new and old parts that interact with one another is never a good idea. Also, the a/r bearing should never be lubed with grease, only a low-viscosity oil. Grease will cause it to slip in cold weather.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:If I replace the a/r bearing, I always replace the sleeve, also. Mixing new and old parts that interact with one another is never a good idea. Also, the a/r bearing should never be lubed with grease, only a low-viscosity oil. Grease will cause it to slip in cold weather.
always replace in pairs. Just coat the sleeve and spin it in the bearing. You are really only putting some kind of lube in there to coat the rollers to prevent corrosion.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:If I replace the a/r bearing, I always replace the sleeve, also. Mixing new and old parts that interact with one another is never a good idea. Also, the a/r bearing should never be lubed with grease, only a low-viscosity oil. Grease will cause it to slip in cold weather.
always replace in pairs. Just coat the sleeve and spin it in the bearing. You are really only putting some kind of lube in there to coat the rollers to prevent corrosion.
Yep, same with gears- replace the pinion and main gear together as a set. Don't ask how I know..... :doh:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:41 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Yep, same with gears- replace the pinion and main gear together as a set. Don't ask how I know..... :doh:
Thats how we learn. A good rule of thumb is, if 2 things that "move" touch, are threaded, or "carved", they get changed together.
<")))><{

badenglishihave
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by badenglishihave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:41 pm

Thanks for the replies! There's an official Shimano reel maintenance video (you probably know the one) I watched which actually stated that you should just clean it off unless it is brand new, in which case a small amount of oil is all you need.

That makes sense about repairing in pairs, I'll replace both.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:20 am

That wear is normal and I doubt the tolerance changed enough to matter on the inner tube. The bearing can wear because it has a plastic cage holding the rollers in place. Some excess dirt gets in there and will wear the cage down.

We make our own light grease for the roller bearings in casting/conventional reels. Excess grease can cause them to slip. The oil in the ACE 0 grease is actually perfect for the bearings.

The bearing and inner tube from the Core 50 will be the same as the parts for the Aldebaran.

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:48 am

Hopping on this thread for my own question about the Core:

Is the ARB supposed to be hard to remove? I don't want to force it out but it also sounds like I may need to replace mine based on the play in the handle.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:09 am

The bearing can be tight to the side plate. I use a nut driver and a mallet to knock the bearing out and press it in. A small amount of play can be normal. Most of the time the handle nut is actually slightly loose and needs to be tightened. People mistake this feel for play in the bearing.

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:49 am

I tried tightening the nut as well as checking the ARB, but neither could fix the play in the handle. Is there anything else I can check before shelling out for a new ARB?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Are you talking handle back play?

With the drag done up properly/tight and your finger on the spool, when you try to rotate the handle backwards/rock it forward and backward, does the drag star move with the handle as well?

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:14 pm

The handle still moves and the spool will actually rock forward a hair if I try to push the handle backwards

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:37 pm

Does the drag star move...?

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:22 pm

The drag star does not move

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:40 pm

All i'm thinking is that if your drag star (or handle shaft) is not moving but your handle has backplay, there's probably a gap between the handle shaft and the hole in the handle. Maybe look at shimming it to see if that solves your problem.