Was the Daiwa CG CC CR 80's a colossal failure to Daiwa?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Was the Daiwa CG CC CR 80's a colossal failure to Daiwa?

Post by SSS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:33 am

Ever since they came out, you never hear anyone mentioning these. Its like they were already discontinued and forgotten.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Was the Daiwa CG CC CR 80's a colossal failure to Daiwa?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 am

Most guys here would never give that family of reels a second look, due to the out-sourcing of the construction to a Chinese OEM company. Daiwa collaborated on the design and spec's, but they are 100% "hecho en Chine".
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:39 am

I hope so.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Most guys here would never give that family of reels a second look, due to the out-sourcing of the construction to a Chinese OEM company. Daiwa collaborated on the design and spec's, but they are 100% "hecho en Chine".
Even on Reddit, home of the "an Ugly Stick is the best bass rod ever!" crowd, I have never seen a mention of that series but there are a ton of posts about the Tat SV and the new Tat 100/200/250 reels.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:05 am

Seems to me like it was an experiment to dip into the lower level market.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Seems to me like it was an experiment to dip into the lower level market.
Surprised that the ignorance of the general public didn't cause at least an initial wave of purchases. That usually happens, even if they arent good reels. Just look at the Duckett reels lol!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Seems to me like it was an experiment to dip into the lower level market.
Yes indeed. Even though the Fuego CT MSRP has gone to $109.95 now, it's still so much better than that series, and not a lot more than the top end of the 3. It's actually a Daiwa :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Surprised that the ignorance of the general public didn't cause at least an initial wave of purchases. That usually happens, even if they arent good reels. Just look at the Duckett reels lol!
Oh the Duckett reels. :lol: Almost as good as the Shishamo Fitzgerald reels. :doh:
<")))><{

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:25 pm

bronzefly wrote: Yes indeed. Even though the Fuego CT MSRP has gone to $109.95 now, it's still so much better than that series, and not a lot more than the top end of the 3. It's actually a Daiwa :lol:
I bought a pair of Fuego CT's last year for kayak trolling and man if I was handed $500 and told to go buy myself a single combo to use for the rest of my life I would buy a Fuego CT, a 844 GLX, and a sixpack of beer with the leftover money.

My nicer reels are, well, nicer, but those CT's are so so much better then I ever thought they would be.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Most guys here would never give that family of reels a second look, due to the out-sourcing of the construction to a Chinese OEM company. Daiwa collaborated on the design and spec's, but they are 100% "hecho en Chine".
Im well aware about TT standards, but i was generally speaking. You don't hear about these reels anywhere. Be it youtube, other forums etc

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Houndfish wrote:
bronzefly wrote: Yes indeed. Even though the Fuego CT MSRP has gone to $109.95 now, it's still so much better than that series, and not a lot more than the top end of the 3. It's actually a Daiwa :lol:
I bought a pair of Fuego CT's last year for kayak trolling and man if I was handed $500 and told to go buy myself a single combo to use for the rest of my life I would buy a Fuego CT, a 844 GLX, and a sixpack of beer with the leftover money.

My nicer reels are, well, nicer, but those CT's are so so much better then I ever thought they would be.
That's awesome :lol: Yeah, Fuego CT is an under appreciated reel in general. I can't think of a better reel available in that $100 price range, it's really fantastic. Fortunately, we've been able to get them in a lot of hands and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 pm

SSS wrote:
Im well aware about TT standards, but i was generally speaking. You don't hear about these reels anywhere. Be it youtube, other forums etc
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I'm glad they flopped.
This is the way.

CaptPeteJ
Angler
Angler

Post by CaptPeteJ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:01 am

IMO the market for these reels doesn't exist much in the realm of folks who review and write about them. They are pretty cheap... and readily available at local sporting goods stores around here(and even walmart). Which ironically don't even have Fuego's in stock(a quick search shows Fuego Ct's in the sub $70 range though, which seems like a no-brainer). I know tons of local guys around here that fish, and a $100 combo is way out of what they consider reasonable. I bet these sell, and we simply don't notice it. Whats the competition at the $50 range? Kastking? I bet the Daiwa name alone sells.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:17 am

bronzefly wrote:
That's awesome :lol: Yeah, Fuego CT is an under appreciated reel in general. I can't think of a better reel available in that $100 price range, it's really fantastic. Fortunately, we've been able to get them in a lot of hands and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive...
Do you know if a NRC002 PG spool will work in a Fuego CT?

If so that could be a hell of a $200 reel.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:25 pm

poisonokie wrote:
SSS wrote:
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I'm glad they flopped.
Im glad as well. We can't have Daiwa going Korea/China route.