High end Jdm cranking rod help

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

High end Jdm cranking rod help

Post by domthewon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:20 pm

I’m looking for a high end Jdm cranking stick. Just looking for suggestions on what’s really good out there. I’m reinvigorating my line up completely and the cranking rod is the one I’m having a tough time picking out. I’m using a gen one XX flat side special, and it’s very good, but I want something that’s gonna make me wanna pick up my cranking stick over my other rod options. I prefer 7’ rods but am open to other options, 1/4 -1 oz lures are what I will throw on it. Thanks
Dom

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: High end Jdm cranking rod help

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm

1/4 oz to 1 oz all on the same rod is a fairly tall order. The Valkyrie 71MH is rated 3/8 to 1 oz and can legitimately throw a 1 oz crank bait. I'm not sure how well it would handle a true 1/4 oz crank though, I haven't tried anything that light on it.

The Tomahawk F4-71T would do better on the lighter end, but at a full 1 oz bait, it would be pushing the limits.

The F5.5-72ti Super Diablo Type L is rated 1/4 to 1 oz, but again, on the 1/4 oz side, it's not going to be easy to really load up and sling. It's an incredibly versatile rod however and I've enjoyed a wide range of moving baits up to that full 1 oz mark...

Food for thought... let me know if I can help out.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Deep throat Custom by MB for sure but I fish unlike most. That is a welled dressed composite and with the right reel and line(I always preferred 10lb Floroclear by P-Line) can do it all for the most part. I never went up to a full ounce but the way I finish I'm confident it could do that(for sure TWs) the furthest I went that I thoroughly enjoyed was the DD 22 by Norman not a heavy plug but at 5/8oz still pretty weighty and has a big bill(subjective) and the Deep Throat Custom handled that like a dream in my hands of course 8-) the lowest I went was quarter ounce Bagley small fries and the tip was super nice for those little guys even with 10lb line. Do it!!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 pm

bronzefly wrote:1/4 oz to 1 oz all on the same rod is a fairly tall order. The Valkyrie 71MH is rated 3/8 to 1 oz and can legitimately throw a 1 oz crank bait. I'm not sure how well it would handle a true 1/4 oz crank though, I haven't tried anything that light on it.

The Tomahawk F4-71T would do better on the lighter end, but at a full 1 oz bait, it would be pushing the limits.

The F5.5-72ti Super Diablo Type L is rated 1/4 to 1 oz, but again, on the 1/4 oz side, it's not going to be easy to really load up and sling. It's an incredibly versatile rod however and I've enjoyed a wide range of moving baits up to that full 1 oz mark...

Thanks Gary great options. 3/8-3/4 oz is more likely what I will be throwing anyways. I already own the diablo type L. I like it a lot, and have used it for lv 500's and might again.. I read good things about the Valkyries , but really don't care for Megabass' trigger on their newer reel seats, but I will put up with it for the diablo type L. :big grin: I'm not sure what I wan't just seeing what others are using and other JDM offerings. Thanks

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Cristo wrote:Deep throat Custom by MB for sure but I fish unlike most. That is a welled dressed composite and with the right reel and line(I always preferred 10lb Floroclear by P-Line) can do it all for the most part. I never went up to a full ounce but the way I finish I'm confident it could do that(for sure TWs) the furthest I went that I thoroughly enjoyed was the DD 22 by Norman not a heavy plug but at 5/8oz still pretty weighty and has a big bill(subjective) and the Deep Throat Custom handled that like a dream in my hands of course 8-) the lowest I went was quarter ounce Bagley small fries and the tip was super nice for those little guys even with 10lb line. Do it!!
:lol: Love your enthusiasm and the info on how you use it. I googled the rod and your review on it from 2017 came up. The pics are helpful. It's definitely a different taper than I was expecting to see. It kinda reminds me of the x7 bearing down type x's taper. I'll look into it.
Thanks

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:30 am

Hello, Friend!
I think new Poison Glorious XC will be nice for your purposes: http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/5603

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 am

Yeah! Check the upcoming cranking Glorious lineup.
I'm probably going to get one of those rods.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/5603
That 170 M-G should suite you perfectly.

Last edited by Cracker on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 am

Loafer wrote:Hello, Friend!
I think new Poison Glorious XC will be nice for your purposes: http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/5603
Very nice find! I like it! Thank you.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 am

Cracker wrote:Yeah! Check the upcoming cranking Glorious lineup.
I'm probably is going to get one of those rods.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/5603
That 170 M-G should suite you perfectly.

Oh yeah! Even if I get another cranking stick the 7’ will be mine. Thank you.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 am

What about the MB Black Jungle F5-71XBJ "Deep Cranking Slow Rolling"?

It is rated for 3/8 - 1 oz.

Doc

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm going to assume OP wants something current?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:05 pm

domthewon wrote:
bronzefly wrote:1/4 oz to 1 oz all on the same rod is a fairly tall order. The Valkyrie 71MH is rated 3/8 to 1 oz and can legitimately throw a 1 oz crank bait. I'm not sure how well it would handle a true 1/4 oz crank though, I haven't tried anything that light on it.

Thanks Gary great options. 3/8-3/4 oz is more likely what I will be throwing anyways. I already own the diablo type L. I like it a lot, and have used it for lv 500's and might again.. I read good things about the Valkyries , but really don't care for Megabass' trigger on their newer reel seats, but I will put up with it for the diablo type L. :big grin: I'm not sure what I wan't just seeing what others are using and other JDM offerings. Thanks
This is not a concern with Valkerie series. They sport the standard ECS seat by Fuji and have a very comfortable handle altogether. They do Not have the new smallish megabass seats that are on all the other new mb offerings. The Valkyrie really looks and feels kind of like a mb throwback design.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:02 pm

7ft...Check
JDM...Check
High End..Check
Titanium Torzite..Check
1/4 oz..Check
1 oz+...Check
Kick all your other rods to the curb..Check

What are your waiting for...

http://www.maniacs1091.jp/shopdetail/00 ... ge1/order/

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:15 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:7ft...Check
JDM...Check
High End..Check
Titanium Torzite..Check
1/4 oz..Check
1 oz+...Check

:shock: wow that is beautiful!! Is that site safe?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:26 pm

domthewon wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:7ft...Check
JDM...Check
High End..Check
Titanium Torzite..Check
1/4 oz..Check
1 oz+...Check

:shock: wow that is beautiful!! Is that site safe?
It's legit and is the nicest brick and mortar Proshop in Tokyo. You have to ask super nice for them to ship though. The rod is available in one other pro shop that I know of. Sedition does super limited production, their resell price is extremly strong in Japan if you can even find one.