Jig Rod Recomendation

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Jig Rod Recomendation

Post by jbabin193 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:54 am

DavidSA wrote:I don't believe I've seen anyone post about the new zbone 7'3 and that is a shame. If it is better then the older model with just a little bit less heat in the tip then indeed it would be the bomb.
I ordered a few of the new Z-bones in December... really wish I would have put the 7-3H in my cart to test it out. I like the MH and LMH, only grip would be the loss of marbled grips. The cork quality on the new Z-bones is not up to par for a $500 rod.

I do have the previous generation 7-3H, and its a nice jig rod no doubt. Maybe a little stiff for casting and fishing deep water football jigs..

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:03 am

jbabin193 wrote:
DavidSA wrote:I don't believe I've seen anyone post about the new zbone 7'3 and that is a shame. If it is better then the older model with just a little bit less heat in the tip then indeed it would be the bomb.
I ordered a few of the new Z-bones in December... really wish I would have put the 7-3H in my cart to test it out. I like the MH and LMH, only grip would be the loss of marbled grips. The cork quality on the new Z-bones is not up to par for a $500 rod.

I do have the previous generation 7-3H, and its a nice jig rod no doubt. Maybe a little stiff for casting and fishing deep water football jigs..
Sent you a PM

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Not good to hear the new cork does not meet expectations. the old marble mix is holding up very well on my prior model. I agree the 7'3H may be too fast for some people. it is borderline to me.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:37 pm

For those of you that have the previous generation 7'3 H and are saying it could be too fast, are you using braid or fluoro with it? Or both?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:06 pm

I am using braid. I've had a couple of nice fish get off while shore fishing. basically trying to lip a +5lb fish and it comes unbuttoned. I have moved to Floro and no issues other then I don't like fluorocarbon. I think if I was fishing deep in a boat no issue even with braid. I just fish shallow florida water most of the time.

Can't help but close by saying most sensitive rod that I have fished. Still, if you can't land her then the extra performance is not help.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:56 pm

I'm using fluoro on mine...

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:56 pm

jiggerjake wrote: Sent you a PM
PM responded

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:49 pm

NRX 894c. I was throwing 1/2 oz Rugby Jigs and 11/16 oz Biffle Heads on 17lb fluro with a Havoc Pit Boss in the water depths listed and it was lavish.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:28 pm

jiggerjake wrote:
jbabin193 wrote:

Sent you a PM
I emailed trey kistler, he said all the model Zbone have more power than the previous generation. Its curious because the lure ratings have dropped. I'm now more curious about the 7' and 7'3" MH

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 am

i never owned the previous generation z bones but The new 7'3 hvy moderate is a pretty powerful stick. i liked it for pitching jigs 1/2 oz and up. when it came to using casting jigs i liked the 7'6 med hvy z bone that one is prob my favorite for 3/8 oz - 1/2 oz its listed as up to an 1oz rating but i wouldnt personally throw 1oz with the med hvy.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Revofisher wrote:i never owned the previous generation z bones but The new 7'3 hvy moderate is a pretty powerful stick. i liked it for pitching jigs 1/2 oz and up. when it came to using casting jigs i liked the 7'6 med hvy z bone that one is prob my favorite for 3/8 oz - 1/2 oz its listed as up to an 1oz rating but i wouldnt personally throw 1oz with the med hvy.
I'm getting ready to place my order for the MH. I've been going back and fourth as to which one to get. 7'3" or 7'6" ? I guess fishing 8' or less the the 7'3" ?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 am

I would I have found I really only use the 7’6 for deeper water

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:42 am

Revofisher wrote:i never owned the previous generation z bones but The new 7'3 hvy moderate is a pretty powerful stick. i liked it for pitching jigs 1/2 oz and up. when it came to using casting jigs i liked the 7'6 med hvy z bone that one is prob my favorite for 3/8 oz - 1/2 oz its listed as up to an 1oz rating but i wouldnt personally throw 1oz with the med hvy.
+1 this is a great 1/2oz Jig rod!!! LIght and super sensitive!

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:41 am

freelancer27 wrote:
+1 this is a great 1/2oz Jig rod!!! LIght and super sensitive!
I haven't tried the new Xray HM blanks yet but they told me at Kistler that the Heavy is a true meatstick with a heavy tip. So I'm thinking MH too

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:06 am

The med hvy z bones are my favorite I like the mediums a lot but for open hook stuff it very light wire hook finesse jugs. The heavy is a meat stick if your in Florida fishing thick grass I would love it. I liked it for heavy brush in east TN I didn’t have a ton of grass unless I went to chicamagua. The heavy also makes a good frog rod for the heavier frogs but didn’t have enough tip for the smaller sizes