My new Daiwa Steez 25006 on a St. Croix 68MXXF (DanD)

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

My new Daiwa Steez 25006 on a St. Croix 68MXXF (DanD)

Post by JIP » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:39 am

This is from DanD:

Here is my new Daiwa Steez 25006 on a St. Croix 68MXXF that I've done a little customizing to. I removed most of the cork from the foregrip, split the rear handle and added a Fuji weight balance kit on the back end to balance it out just right. DanD
Attachments
dand1.jpg
dand1.jpg (52.84 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
dand2.jpg
dand2.jpg (81.33 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
dand3.jpg
dand3.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 4928 times

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My new Daiwa Steez 25006 on a St. Croix 68MXXF (DanD)

Post by TOPWATER » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:37 pm

Another sweet setup. they should just split the grip from the start.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:42 pm

Yea I love the split grips on my rods. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:14 pm

Beautiful combo, does it balance out perfectly, and how much weight did you have to add in to achieve it?

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:28 pm

It is very well balanced. I think the Fuji weight system is a little over an oz. The nice thing about it is you can remove the weight if you wish, but it still makes for a nice butt cap. Only used it once so far, but I like it!

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:32 am

DanD. You should write a little "how-to" on how you went about performing the surgery. For instance: how did you get the winding checks back on the rod with the handle still intact and the guides still on? Also how did you get the cork off without maring the blank and how did you clean it up so well after the removal?
Thanks.

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:48 pm

TonM,

Well, to be honest, you should be asking Catch-em-all, his trout rod pretty much put mine to shame! Check out George Roth's website (http://www.georgescustomrods.com), he provides excellent step by step instructions which is basically what I followed. I use an X-acto knife to remove the bulk of the cork, than heat up the rest with a heat gun (around $20 at Walmart) which makes the rest of the cork and epoxy come off very easily. I used a butter knife to gently scrape off the remainder of the cork and epoxy. Sand the edge of the cork to get the tapered look. For the winding checks, I use a larger size and just cut them, slid over the blank and superglued with the seam facing down. I used a couple coats of rod varnish, lightly sanded with extra fine sandpaper and than another coat of varnish. I put several coats of varnish around the checks to get a nice rounded effect. I've done before but my first attempt on a high end rod, so it was a little scary but fortunately no nicks in the blank. Let me know if you have any other questions. DanD

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:21 pm

All right Dan.
I just split the grip on my St. Croix Avid. I followed Georges instructions and used your idea to use the back of a butter knife as not to mar the blank and it worked perfectly. I used a hair dryer to heat the glue and scrape it off.
I think instead of winding checks I'm going to use rubber O-rings.
Now I just need to get some varnish, O-rings, thread, and sand the cork a little and this rod should look pretty good. I'll get some pictures when I'm done with it this weekend.
I've been thinking of doing this for a long time, but until you posted those pictures I just didn't have the courage to do it.
Much appreciated Dan.
Thanks. ;)

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:14 am

TonyM,

Go fo it! You'll do fine, good luck. Can't wait to see the finiwshed product. Dan