Getting back into BFS

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Getting back into BFS

Post by sqhertz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:00 pm

It's been a while and that itch is back.
I had a curado 51 with an avail 915 spool that paired great with a recon 682. The only gripe I had was the skinny rod handle become uncomfortable after an hour or so of fishing.
Since then, I've parted out my gear and invested in another hobby.

Well, I'm back :lol:

I'm thinking of grabbing a curado 71 and maybe one of those diy spools hoping I could cast the same 1/16oz jig with plastic trailer that I could in the past.
What's everyones pick for a usdm bfs type rod aside from the recon or 13 omen?

Budget is 200 max.

Thanks

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Getting back into BFS

Post by Slazmo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:28 pm

I've got a Curado 70 with HH BFS Air bearings - 6lb Sunline and it casts 2gr comfortably... No need for DIY spools etc.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:51 pm

St Croix has a casting panfish rod. I also just saw today that Carrot Stix has a couple casting rods rated to 1/16 lite powered.

For under 200 bucks. Could pick up a used Alphas AIR. The DIY spool route us another option for a reel like the Curado 70 or the Daiwa Tatula reels.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:37 pm

I highly recommend that alphas, too. I got mine "used" for $242 shipped and it's pre pimped out! Shipping from Japan took two days.

This is the way.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Long time no see ... good to see ya back.

USDM BFS is a tough call. You should check out the Kuying rods over on Aliexpress. I got this one, couldn't be happier with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGy1yfn2vvI

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:54 pm

The Revo ROXANI BF8 can usually be had for around $130 and the Kuying TTC-662L is a fine rod that could keep you in your budget. The St Croix Panfish Rod is really nice rod as well if you want a USDM rod.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks jersey! It's been a while since I've posted but I've been lurking around :lol:

Here is my previous bfs rig that I loved everything about except the skinny rod handle.

I had the avail 915 with 15/4 powerpro and 6lb floroclear leader and cast those 1/16 jigs with trailer with ease. If the curado 70/71 is capable of doing that with bearings on a proper rod, I'm sold. Those scorpion xt 1001s that pop up on fleabay are intriguing as well. I loved that platform.

Those kuying rods look great especially for the $. I've also been looking into majorcraft rods but unfortunately they no longer offer the corzza in the US and im a bit reluctant to drop that cash on the jdm offering without having any kind of warranty.

After owning an avid x ml/f that's become my go-to, I can't imagine fishing their lower tier rods.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:14 pm

I think you'd be fine with major craft. I love their rods. I've never heard about any quality control issues with them, certainly no broken blanks or anything like that. I think you'd like it a lot more than the St. Croix for sure. I have a couple of the panfish series spinning rods for trout and crappie, and while they're a blast to use for that, I certainly wouldn't be chasing peacocks with them, or any decent LMB for that matter. The guides are steel, so I wouldn't use braid with any bass level drag pressure, and I don't know, but I'm sure that hinders the ease of casting and pitching for distance and accuracy. The MC's on the other are bass rods through and through, yet you can still go panfishing with them. Is it as much fun catching crappie with them as it is on the St Croix's? Well, no. But at least you can hook, fight, and land fence pandas with them. Plus, there's only one panfish series casting model, a 5'6" L 1/16-1/4 iirc, so you're severely limited there. I'd look into a Benkei first, or maybe a used Volkey or other model. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed. Good luck.
This is the way.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:14 pm

The Major Craft America website has Corzza's listed as on sale for 119.00 right now.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:28 am

earthworm77 wrote:The Major Craft America website has Corzza's listed as on sale for 119.00 right now.

They do but the lightest available is the ML. From what they told me, they will not be continuing that series in the US.

:(

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Decided on the fuego CT with a diy spool.

Leaning toward the Phenix feather 7'1 L as a usdm option
https://www.phenixrods.com/products/freshwater/feather/

Or the kuying 662L.

Anyone have experience with the L power feather?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:25 pm

sqhertz wrote:Decided on the fuego CT with a diy spool.

Or the kuying 662L.

You're gonna love the Fuego. It's a Tatula without the T-Wing. Definitely a hidden gem of a reel, especially for well under $100.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:51 pm

sqhertz wrote:Decided on the fuego CT with a diy spool.

Or the kuying 662L.

I have this rod and it will work well with the fuego setup. It has nice build quality, very light at 3.0oz and very sensitive for the price point. You can PM me if you want to know any specific details.