Daiwa Luvias vs. Certate

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Luvias vs. Certate

Post by Samuel_b » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 am

Looking at getting a 2508PE-H JDM Daiwa and these two fit my price point. Anyone who has fished either of these opinions? Really like the price on the Luvias and am interested in it partly because I never hear much about it...

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Luvias vs. Certate

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 am

The Luvias are great reels. I have two 3012H's and one 2508. They are almost as smooth as my Exist reels. If you didn't have both, you'd be hard pressed to tell. And the drag is butter smooth!

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:06 am

Big-Bass wrote:The Luvias are great reels. I have two 3012H's and one 2508. They are almost as smooth as my Exist reels. If you didn't have both, you'd be hard pressed to tell. And the drag is butter smooth!

Thanks =D> Great to hear and buttery drag is so important on spinning reels. Have you fished them enough to speak to durability? And thanks so much, this makes ordering a reel I know nothing about less stressful.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 am

Very durable. I did have my wedding ring smudge some of the paint at the reel stem but that is just how I hold the reels. The stem of the reel sites between my middle and ring finger so metal on painted Zaion leads to some scratches. Hope this helps!

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Very durable. I did have my wedding ring smudge some of the paint at the reel stem but that is just how I hold the reels. The stem of the reel sites between my middle and ring finger so metal on painted Zaion leads to some scratches. Hope this helps!

Thanks!! I think it's my next spinning reel.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:36 pm

I have the 16 certate 2510PE-H and it's a winner. Super smooth drag & buttery smooth reel. Never fished with a luvias so I can't help with that comparison.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Good luck and good fishing with whatever model you choose!

Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dutch » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:01 am

I don't have a certate, but own a 2012 2506 Luvias and it's great. very light, buttery smooth, also the drag which has a nice sounding ' click'. have fished it a lot and tested the drag on nice fish and it's been flawless. main difference between certate and luvias is the frame material: if you ask me: alu vs composite. makes the luvias lighter and the certate stronger. so I'd look at the what is more important and what rod you are pairing it with. what rod would that be? grtz

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:18 am

I had a bad experience with a 2013 version, went to Revo 30.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Dutch wrote:I don't have a certate, but own a 2012 2506 Luvias and it's great. very light, buttery smooth, also the drag which has a nice sounding ' click'. have fished it a lot and tested the drag on nice fish and it's been flawless. main difference between certate and luvias is the frame material: if you ask me: alu vs composite. makes the luvias lighter and the certate stronger. so I'd look at the what is more important and what rod you are pairing it with. what rod would that be? grtz

Hard to say at the moment but probably a NRX 842 or 852 or possibly a GLX or Zbone if I decide to save a few bucks

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Dutch wrote:I don't have a certate, but own a 2012 2506 Luvias and it's great. very light, buttery smooth, also the drag which has a nice sounding ' click'. have fished it a lot and tested the drag on nice fish and it's been flawless. main difference between certate and luvias is the frame material: if you ask me: alu vs composite. makes the luvias lighter and the certate stronger. so I'd look at the what is more important and what rod you are pairing it with. what rod would that be? grtz
Haven't the last couple Certates been made with Zaion as well?

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Certate's have Zaion rotor only; aluminum frames still.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:54 pm

karirick wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Certate's have Zaion rotor only; aluminum frames still.
Cool

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! The Luvias will definitely be the next spinning reel purchase.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Exist is in clearance at tackle warehouse for 4ish if you haven’t already purchased a spinning reel, pretty good deal