St Croix Mojo Inshore for BFS fishing

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St Croix Mojo Inshore for BFS fishing

Post by Edward78 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:10 am

I just ordered the 7' L moderate action and 7' ML Moderate action Mojo Inshore rods to use for Bait Finesse fishing, does anyone have any experiences with these rods ? I know St Croix is on the light side when it comes to power and action so I thought this might be a good rod for making long cast with Cranks, bobber fishing and anything really.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: St Croix Mojo Inshore for BFS fishing

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:53 am

Usually St Croix is a little heavier/faster than rated. I have used the Legend Inshore Light and Extra Light powered rods. They are good BFS rods and are versatile for cranks, jigs and whatever else.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:33 pm

I had the Mojo Inshore 7 L, but passed it on.
I like the soft action - much softer than my other St Croix rods with similar ratings. It is definitely not a fast action.
However, the big rings turned me off a bit as I do not use line-to-line connections / a leader.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:53 am

If my 6’6” St. Croix Premier ML spinning rod is any indication, I’d say that the ML is too heavy for the 1/8 oz weights typically used with BFS.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:02 am

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I guess only time will tell when I get these rods how they will perform for me. No matter what I fish all water and all fish so I figure out some place for these rods

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:07 am

I had and Extra Light 6'6" and while I liked it, I ended up selling it. It was a matter of ergonomics, the rear grip was too long for easy one-hand casting but was a little short for comfortable two handed use. I also could not make peace with the reel seat. Otherwise the rod was great, it seemed to shine at just over it's rating, a 3-4g spoon or spinner would cast a mile and the rod has a ton of power in reserve.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:22 am

Edward78 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:02 am
Thanks to everyone for your replies, I guess only time will tell when I get these rods how they will perform for me. No matter what I fish all water and all fish so I figure out some place for these rods
How did the 7' Light do? What was the lightest you were able to cast?

Thanks

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:22 am
Edward78 wrote:

Thanks
The rod action was good and I cast a 1/8oz Chatterbait and rattletrap with ease but the rod was very tip heavy and I ended up selling it.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Edward78 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Edward78 wrote:

Thanks
The rod action was good and I cast a 1/8oz Chatterbait and rattletrap with ease but the rod was very tip heavy and I ended up selling it.
Seems like a lot of people say the St Croix rods are tip heavy. Oh well. What did you end up with after you sold it?

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:31 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:20 pm
Edward78 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Edward78 wrote:

Thanks
Seems like a lot of people say the St Croix rods are tip heavy. Oh well. What did you end up with after you sold it?
I ended up getting a Phenix Feather 7’1 light and it’s insanely light 3oz/86g, very nice series of rods for finesse baitcast fishing 7’1 ML and I have a 6’9 ML for Jerkbait fishing, with a Aldebaran reel that combo weighs only 8.2oz spooled with line.