Steez A revisited...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by ss30378 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:48 pm

ResoKP wrote:What is the difference between the two ZPI spools: NRC001M vs NRC001PG ?

On the ZPI website, the only difference I can see is that they recommend 10-14 lb fluoro for the M and 16lb fluoro for the PG. Why is this the case?

What makes the Steez SV spool better in the Steez A than the stock Steez A spool it comes with ? Also, why is the "lower-end" Zillion SV spool a better performer than the Steez A spool ?

I just got my first Steez (Steez A) so I'm new to all this...
The M spool is shallower than the PG, line capacity could become an issue with heavier lines and long cast lures with the M. "Better" is a relative term, some people like the brake profile of the sv spools as they are very forgiving and generally the sv spools are a bit lighter so they handle lighter lures better.

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm

ss30378 wrote:
ResoKP wrote:What is the difference between the two ZPI spools: NRC001M vs NRC001PG ?

On the ZPI website, the only difference I can see is that they recommend 10-14 lb fluoro for the M and 16lb fluoro for the PG. Why is this the case?

What makes the Steez SV spool better in the Steez A than the stock Steez A spool it comes with ? Also, why is the "lower-end" Zillion SV spool a better performer than the Steez A spool ?

The M spool is shallower than the PG, line capacity could become an issue with heavier lines and long cast lures with the M. "Better" is a relative term, some people like the brake profile of the sv spools as they are very forgiving and generally the sv spools are a bit lighter so they handle lighter lures better.
If I put the Steez SV spool in my Steez A, will it cast exactly the same as Steez SV ? Or will there still be differences due to other parts in the reel ?

Also, why do people consider Zillion SV spool in the Steez A when there is a Steez SV spool ? Seems like line capacity between the Zillion SV and Steez SV is the same so it must be for other reasons ? So, my question is, what is the difference between Steez SV spool and Zillion SV spool when used in the Steez A ?

Sorry for so many questions...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:36 pm

ResoKP wrote:
ss30378 wrote:

If I put the Steez SV spool in my Steez A, will it cast exactly the same as Steez SV ? Or will there still be differences due to other parts in the reel ?

Also, why do people consider Zillion SV spool in the Steez A when there is a Steez SV spool ? Seems like line capacity between the Zillion SV and Steez SV is the same so it must be for other reasons ? So, my question is, what is the difference between Steez SV spool and Zillion SV spool when used in the Steez A ?

Sorry for so many questions...

The Steez SV G1 1016 spool is just a little bit lighter than the one available for the Zillion SV TW. The difference is that the Zillion SV TW G1 1016 SV spool is about $70 brand new, the Steez version is well over $110 depending on where you find it. I would obviously take the better, lighter spool in my Steez A, but price is a major concern so the Zillion SV TW spool works great for me. I can personally only speak for the Zillion SV TW spool in the Steez A, works great, but I know the Steez SV TW spool is only marginally lighter so it depends on how far you want to stretch your dollar. But again, price and ease of availability is the main reason I figure people (like me) consider the Zillion SV spool in the Steez A. I would just buy a ZPI M/PG or G1 1012 (which only comes stock on the 8 gear JDM Steez SV TW) before buying a deeper Steez SV 1016 for almost the same price.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am

I’ve tested 5 spools in my steez sv tw. I don’t throw light baits so all my testing was done with stuff in the 10-15g range.

Stock Steez G1 1016
Stock Steez G1 1012
Stock Zillion G1 1016
Zpi PG
Zpi M

Steez 1016 and 1012 acted the same for me. Only difference being how much line they each hold. Distance was ok but it felt like there was more in the reel but turning the brakes down made them both very finicky for me. One cast would do fine but the next would fluff up.
Zpi pg offered a touch more distance and control but again was finicky and left me wanting more.
Zillion 1016 gave me more distance and control than the other 3 spools. I was happy with what it did to change the reel. Trouble free casting on a lower brake setting than the others. No fluff,no hassle, just worked well.
The M spool is the faster of the 2 Zpi spools but in the steez it flat out works great. Both distance and control were great. Nothing night and day better than the zillion but it was an improvement. The fixed inductor makes it so it does the same thing every time. Not everyone can or wants to have to buy a $125 spool for a reel they just paid $400-450 for though. The zillion 1016 can be bought new for $70 and found used for $50 pretty easily. These are just my experiences and I’d sell the stock spool and replace it with the zillion 1016 if I wasn’t concerned about ever selling the reel and needed the stock spool for that sale. Again, I rarely drop below 1/4oz so my feelings won’t match everyone’s.
Last edited by Rippin-lips on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:53 pm

The spool's have different behavior due to the inductor and the mechanisms which engage them, in the case of the Zillion spool vs the Steez they are both SV type spools and the Zillion inductor is smaller=less braking force in the magnets. The Steez A has a Magforce Z spool, great all around spool that achieves good distance with a variety of lures. The actuation of the inductor on a "Z" or "V" type spool uses blocks that move the inductor into the magnets with centrifugal force. The SV spools use a ramp for that activation, lastly there are fixed rotors "Magforce" such as the ZPI spools which have constant presence in the magnetic field to brake the spool.

Here is a picture comparing the inductor on the Steez vs Zillion spool:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:10 am

I apologize for telling you wrong. I didn't know that the Steez SV TW spool had a different inductor than the Zillion SV TW spool. I thought everything was the same other than extra porting for the Steez SV TW. I enjoyed reading that 5 spool comparison, I was seconds away from ordering the 1012 G1 or the ZPI and kind of glad I saved the money for other things. I have had a lot of success with the Zillion SV TW spool in the Steez A, but I do throw lighter lures, so maybe I am missing out. The lightest I commonly go on a 7'Medium, fast tipped rod is 1/8oz with a 3.3" Keitech, and 3/16 is more common. Even a stock spool on a cheaper reel can handle that somewhat decent, so again not sure if it's worth it.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:37 am

I have a 2 zpi spools, PG and M, both perform similarly, casts far and fast spool. I have a RCS G1 1016, good spool and casts far but i slighty dented the spool lip cuz i dropped it but still performs excellent. I also have a megabass shallow spool for it, works good also. The stock spool is whatever.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 pm

ZPI M vs PG - partly line capacity, partly inductor difference for different lure weights. Generally M excels with lighter line and weights, while the PG excels with heavier line/baits.

Steez SV spool vs Steez A spool - lighter spool (11.x vs 13.x iirc) and of course adds SV.

Zillion SV spool vs Steez A spool - it's a more budget-friendly way to add SV to the Steez A (if wanted) and is a very good spool for the money, that works well in many reels.

The Steez A spool is a fine performer for normal/typical use. Depite Diawa's marketing machine, SV is not necessary for everything, in fact I only use it for pitching and skipping setups mainly. Not really needed for typical casting applications ie spinnerbaits, crankbaits, swimbatits, carolina rig, etc. You can certainly use it for those, but it's not necessary if you are comfortable using a baitcaster.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:08 pm

Just a little update to my initial post re drag star - one of the things that bugged me about the new Steez's is that Ziaon drag star. I mean, sure, it works fine. And it's light. But it just feels so plasticy and cheap :x So I ordered a Morethen PE SV aluminum drag star from Plat to compare and try it out.

Short version, I love it, and it's going to cost me more damn money lol.

It's 10g, vs 5g for the Ziaon, so yeah it's heavier. But it's not really noticeable on a 8-10oz setup, really. And it feels...so good. Metal, baby. Like Daiwa of old. Impressions of OG Steez's and TD-Z's come to mind. Problem is, now I have to order 7 more :doh: Finding them has been an issue, I bought Plat's last one, not sure when he's getting any more though. So it might take a while...

Morethan Drag on the left compared to stock Steez drag on the right (which is a JDM version Steez A) Oddly enough, only the Morethan got the aluminum star even in Japan.

kelley71
Angler
Angler

Post by kelley71 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:16 am

Do you guys feel the A TW would be a good option for Saltwater Wade fishing on the Texas Coast? I mainly fish a 6' 6" Med Light fast action rod with a 1/16 to 1/2 lure weight "Laguna Latis Stick". I mainly fish plastics with 1/16 oz to 1/4 jug heads.

If so which spool? You guys lost me with all the options/ I currently fish a Less Inshore and a Scorpion DC which crapped out on me for no reason which is why I am here on the forum.

Thanks for any reply and I dont want to hijack the thread. I have been eying the A TW since it came out.

Best regards,

pinkiehairs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by pinkiehairs » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 am

I use a steez a tw for saltwater, so far it's been great. Even the stock spool actually handles lighter lures remarkably well. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better reel for your purposes.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm

pinkiehairs wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 am
I use a steez a tw for saltwater, so far it's been great. Even the stock spool actually handles lighter lures remarkably well. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better reel for your purposes.
This is true. I swapped my Steez A spool to another reel, but while it was in the stock reel and even in the other reel, it still tosses lighter lures well. I need to sell some old tackle and get another 1 or 5 Steez. I don't know where to start selling stuff though, like all of it so much.

I wonder what the Zillion SV TW inductor would do on the Steez SV TW spool? A G1 1012 SV with the Zillion SV TW inductor could be interesting...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:54 am

78Staff wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:08 pm

It's 10g, vs 5g for the Ziaon, so yeah it's heavier. But it's not really noticeable on a 8-10oz setup, really. And it feels...so good. Metal, baby. Like Daiwa of old. Impressions of OG Steez's and TD-Z's come to mind. Problem is, now I have to order 7 more :doh: Finding them has been an issue, I bought Plat's last one, not sure when he's getting any more though. So it might take a while...

That's how I feel about the SLP drag star I got. It's got a nice metallic ring to it when it clicks. At $43 a piece I doubt I'll buy any more, though.

Well, maybe a couple... :?
This is the way.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri May 03, 2019 3:05 pm

another spool option no one has mentioned is the rays finesse spools and the steez A can be transformed into a saltwater bfs reel. if the megabass IS spools will work in the reel plus OG steez and TDZ spools.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Fri May 03, 2019 10:13 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:05 pm
another spool option no one has mentioned is the rays finesse spools and the steez A can be transformed into a saltwater bfs reel. if the megabass IS spools will work in the reel plus OG steez and TDZ spools.
I have used the Megabass IS Spool in the Steez A, it fits.