'Downgrading' from the NRX?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

'Downgrading' from the NRX?

Post by CGrinder » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:16 am

So I've been out of the game for a while; back's been screwed up and I seem to pinch a new nerve every few months. Go me.

Long story short, fishing my NRX rods seems to bother the hell out of my wrist/elbow/life in general. The question I ask is if you were going to 'downgrade' an NRX rod to a rod series with better balance, ergonomics, etc (maybe a little less length) while keeping enough sensitivity to get the job done, what would you choose?

I think $400 is my price point cap, though that's a bit flexible.

nolegsinmiami
Angler
Angler

Re: 'Downgrading' from the NRX?

Post by nolegsinmiami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 am

Maybe just consider shorter rods. I like the NRXs alot. Recently picked up a 802 used and paired it with a Curado 70; I dont see how you can get lighter!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:42 am

The Major Craft MS-X series is the best balanced, easiest casting set of rods I've ever used. They're no slouch sensitivity wise, either. The actions are different from what you are probably used to, but to me they're perfect. They run around $260-$275. Almost all of them are 7' or shorter.
This is the way.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:24 am

On the spinning side I switched from a NRX 852s to a Destroyer Addermine. I find it's more comfortable, better balanced and (for me) just as sensitive. Plus the fit and finish is much better. The NRX felt lighter, but the Addermine handles better and just feels 'right' in my hand. Right at the top of your budget though. You could try an Orochi as well. I have the Ronin and like the Addermine, feels 'heavy' but when fishing, balances wonderfully. I'm using 2500 size reels.

As far as casting- I had some GLX / IMX and went to the Destroyers. Same as above- just excellent rods.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:09 am

I love some of the nrx models a lot but have always tried other offerings as well. As stated you could use the shorter models in the line up which balance better due to length. I have also bought some of the new z bones and i wouldnt really consider this a downgrade to the nrx, but they fish a little different. I loved the nrx 852s but find im using the z bone 7'3 medium spinning model a lot more the balance is way better and just floats in your hand. the megabass addermine is a good one to look at as well for good balance. Another series that i have fished a lot is the st croix legend elites, which will be hit or miss on which model you get because like nrx some balance better than others. the 7 ft models especially the medium casting rod are excellent when fising all day. Oh yeah i almost forgot another great option that ive had a few of would be the steez ags rods which in my opinion wouldnt be a huge down grade at all but they balance beautifully as well and are very light.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:27 pm

I would be looking at the poison adrenas:

https://youtu.be/y_UjDY0sMhc

CaptPeteJ
Angler
Angler

Post by CaptPeteJ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Z-bones are on sale right now...

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:39 am

I believe outside of NRX your best options are GLX, Zbone, expride/poison adrena...or build your own on an NFC blank. But personally all my 7’1” and shorter NRX rods balance beautifully so I’m assuming you have the 7’5 lengths... You really won’t find a lighter easier to fish rod than NRX in the 6’8”-7’1” lengths and you’ll sacrifice that amazing feel, so I don’t really see the point in downgrading